Participant ○○○

New York Times editorial board calls for national lockdown

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: New York Times editorial board calls for national lockdown

@ECEPROF wrote:

Very similar to India, Italy, Spain, Britain, ....

but not Texas, Wyoming, Florida...

You do realize that the NYT, that staunch defender of the Bill of rights,  is trolling Trump to take an illegal action that the NYT hopes will result in his defeat in November. And as the NYT knows it’s only the state governors who can order people to stay indoors although they too lack constitutional authority to do so. NJ progressive gov Murphy protector of civil liberties, has ordered state residents to stay indoors which state officials have acknowledged is unenforceable. I go out when feel the need to take a ride because I can’t stay indoors.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

@ECEPROF wrote:

"As the president’s own health advisers warn, the worst of the coronavirus pandemic is yet to come," they added. "The nation’s slow and spotty response has allowed the virus to spread to every state. Modeling by researchers at the Imperial College London indicates that upward of two million lives could be lost to the pandemic unless America somehow manages to “flatten the curve." 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

@Intruder wrote:

@ECEPROF wrote:

You do realize that the NYT, that staunch defender of the Bill of rights,  is trolling Trump to take an illegal action that the NYT hopes will result in his defeat in November. And as the NYT knows it’s only the state governors who can order people to stay indoors although they too lack constitutional authority to do so. NJ progressive gov Murphy protector of civil liberties, has ordered state residents to stay indoors which state officials have acknowledged is unenforceable. I go out when feel the need to take a ride because I can’t stay indoors.

Edit: I initially pointed out why you are wrong, but changed my mind. It is utterly pointless to engage with you. You don't give a crap what is true and what is false. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Academic wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

@ECEPROF wrote:

If you had actually read and understood the article, you'd realize that everything you just said about it is wrong. 

What is incorrect ? Or is that above you pay grade/academic credentials ? 

just what part of ordering all non essential businesses to the shuttered and all residents to stay indoors is constitutional authority granted to the President? Or that wasn’t taught in PhD school? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Having a cohesive and clear message of instruction, and coordinated effective response is the responsibility of the commander-in-chief.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I guess this editorial could put some pressure on Shumer too. No way this could happen without some national plan to help people buy food and pay rent.

Sorry ECEPROF, but you have no idea what's happening in Florida, and you tossing out bait to get heated political discussions going is getting old real fast.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@BrianG wrote:

Having a cohesive and clear message of instruction, and coordinated effective response is the responsibility of the commander-in-chief.

Brian 

If you took the time to read the constitution which apparently you never learned you would know that the scope of a presidents authority is limited by article II of the constitution. Presidents do not have authority to force citizens to remain indoors. POTUS is providing instructions and allocating federal resources to provide assistance to the states.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

@Intruder wrote:

@Academic wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

@ECEPROF wrote:

Edit: I initially pointed out why you are wrong, but changed my mind. It is utterly pointless to engage with you. You don't give a crap what is true and what is false. 

Which is a cop out way of saying that even with your PHD you can’t rebut a deplorable intruder. 

OK Intruder, I'll grant that my revised post was unfair. I admit I should either say something constructive, or say nothing. I'm sorry about that. 

Anyway, here is why I think you're wrong. I'll start by quoting the first sentences of the editorial: 

"President Trump needs to call for a two-week shelter-in-place order, now, as part of a coherent national strategy for the coronavirus to protect Americans and their livelihoods. Once he does, and governors follow his request, there will be time to debate how soon some controls might be lifted, or how soon certain people, like those under a particular age, might be free to resume something like normal life."

And later it says "We are not suggesting that Mr. Trump has the authority to order a national lockdown, much less advocating that he attempt to enforce one. Instead, we are urging him to use the bully pulpit to put pressure on, and provide political cover for, governors to take the hard steps that are needed."

Your main point was that you think that the editorial asks Trump to do something that he lacks the authority to do. It did not.  

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

w@Academic wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

@Academic wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

@ECEPROF wrote:

Which is a cop out way of saying that even with your PHD you can’t rebut a deplorable intruder. 

OK Intruder, I'll grant that my revised post was unfair. I admit I should either say something constructive, or say nothing. I'm sorry about that. 

Anyway, here is why I think you're wrong. I'll start by quoting the first sentences of the editorial: 

"President Trump needs to call for a two-week shelter-in-place order, now, as part of a coherent national strategy for the coronavirus to protect Americans and their livelihoods. Once he does, and governors follow his request, there will be time to debate how soon some controls might be lifted, or how soon certain people, like those under a particular age, might be free to resume something like normal life."

And later it says "We are not suggesting that Mr. Trump has the authority to order a national lockdown, much less advocating that he attempt to enforce one. Instead, we are urging him to use the bully pulpit to put pressure on, and provide political cover for, governors to take the hard steps that are needed."

You stated that the editorial asks Trump to do something he lacks the authority to do. But the editorial does nothing of the sort. It only asks that Trump "call for" a nationwide shelter-in-place order. It concedes that governors are the ones who actually have to place the order. So in other words they are only asking Trump to use his bully pulpit, nothing more. 

Your main point was that you think that the editorial asks Trump to do something that he lacks the authority to do. It did not.  

State governors/mayors  can issue a shelter place orders without needing Trumps encouragement. Ny, NJ, IL,CA have already done so. Trump is exercising prudent restraint by not trying to usurp the authority of state governors who best know what the extent of the infections are in their states. CV infections are at lower rates in rural states which don’t have heavy concentrations of people in urban areas or heavy influx of visitors from foreign countries which is why limiting business closings and ordering shelter in place for their citizens is the responsibility of the governor/mayor of each state. NYC Mayor Deblazio has threatened to close all parks and playgrounds in NYC. He doesn’t need trumps approval to do so.

According to the article the editorial calls for POTUS to announce that all business are to be shut and all residents are to remain in their homes except for medical care and food. Just where does Article II give him the authority to do so? And why would Trump want to open himself up to being blamed for condoning excessive acts of democratic governors  who want to violate citizens rights such as NJ governor Murphy who has threatened  to arrest people who gather socially even though he has no legal authority to do so.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@Intruder wrote:

@Academic wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

@ECEPROF wrote:

If you had actually read and understood the article, you'd realize that everything you just said about it is wrong. 

What is incorrect ? Or is that above you pay grade/academic credentials ? 

just what part of ordering all non essential businesses to the shuttered and all residents to stay indoors is constitutional authority granted to the President? Or that wasn’t taught in PhD school? 

@Intruder if you continue to address your fellow community members in such a derogatory way, I will suspend you for a few days. Please keep it classy. You can do better.

- RyanM

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm also locking this thread because it's led to the same old partisan bickering. This community is not the place to air your political grievances.

Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.