cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Life goes on

Sure, we are at home most times but I’m adjusted. I see my wife all the time; we walk the dog longer walks twice daily (see our lake below).  I play Bridge online (https://www.bridgebase.com/) any time I want.  No other card game comes close to Bridge  ;-)

Yesterday I filled up my vehicle at 1.79 per gallon at Kroger near my house.  In Gwinnett County (20 minutes from here) its usually 20 cents cheaper. Then I got 10 cent reduction by using Kroger card (just my phone # usually it’s only 3 cents), then Penfed credit card gives me another 5% cashback.

This morning I did my usual weekly shopping at Aldi+Walmart.  The roads and stores were empty, the shelves were full except unique stuff like alcohol, and the prices were cheaper than normal for fruit and vegetables mostly from Aldi

Example: 1 LB baby carrot 68 c…4 LB navel oranges 99 c…1 LB grape 69 c…blackberry small box 49 c…strawberry 49 c…Cantaloupe 99 c…whole Pineapple 1.29…Mango 59 c…several 3 LB apples 2.69.  When you enter Walmart they have wipes for you but still, about 30% of the people are wearing masks.

The sun is shining and the temp is perfect around 70-75.

BTW, I don't like any hobbies that I don't interact with people, so basically, home repair, gardening, fishing and anything to do with vehicles is not for me.  A car is just a box to go from point A to B at the most efficient reliable reasonable price without the additional costs of cool factor and why we only owned Honda in the past and now Toyotas.

I joined a men's club with so many activities, about 4-5 different activities per day (several card games, bowling, hiking, cooking, political and investment club, pub night and more).  Right now they were all canceled.

This is our lake where I walk daily.  It's a 2.5 miles loop, half paved and the other natural.

Lake view.jpg

11 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: Life goes on

Sounds like a pretty good life, FD.  The lake is awesome.  I'm out of my part time job for a while, and my gym is closed, so I'm doing walking (twice a day) as well.  But where I walk is downright ugly compared to what you've got. Other than that, I like puzzles (cryptograms, crosswords, etc), and when the weather gets warmer here in Milwaukee area I will be outside doing shrub and perennial gardening and outside work on house and garage.  I'm pretty caught up with indoor projects.  Oh, of course I'm on the net more now also.

Wife is out of her little part time job also, but fortunately we get along pretty well.  What I really miss right now is not being able to visit my daughter and the twin grandkids (4 yr old girls).  I'm really not used to spending this much time home AND indoors, but I suppose I'll survive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

FD1001,

With a nice looking lake like that, you need to learn to fish! Loads of fun (at least for me, relaxing, and occasionally I catch some!). I’m also walking a lot (power walking- 13 and 1/2 mins/ mile)- about 4-8 miles per day whenever possible, at least 4 days/ week. 

My medical practice has slowed somewhat, many “healthy” people are (appropriately) cancelling their appts., in order to avoid exposure (We’re fine with that!). We’re having to go through additional precautions (gowns, masks, etc.) to see people who are sick. Backlog of test results means we still do NOT know the true incidence of Coronavirus. SC labs ran out of testing reagents, so 48 hour backlog. Suspect it’s much higher than people realize. Hoping I DO NOT catch the virus myself, trying to be careful but my wife is FREAKED OUT. 

Announced my retirement in late 2021, but patients/ referral sources are REALLY pushing back. 

Win
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Very pretty lake!  We use to live on a lake like that, where we raised our children, but when they moved away to college and their own married lives, we have been moving to different cities and different homes.  We now live in Tyler Texas, rose capital of the world, surrounded by many lakes and pine forests.  Our daily activities include walking our dog around several park trails, doing some home projects around the house, spending as much time in our courtyard and back yard.  I do a fair amount of grilling, but unfortunately have quit getting together with our lifelong friends.  We normally spend time at a local fitness center,but that has been closed.  We are not able to get together with my daughter and teenage grandchildren, and those school activities are now shut down indefinitely.  My wife and I have "happy hour" each afternoon where we talk about life and future vacation trips,  We are concerned that our spring and summer vacation travel plans will get disrupted this year, but it is too early to be sure, but normally at this time, we are scheduling trips and making reservations--that will have to wait.  We can't go out to eat at our favorite restaurants for now, but we still can order take out, so it is not too bad.

Nice to post about something besides investing!  Thanks for the thread.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, life goes on. This year the east side won't be able to take the pass to the west side for some time to come, as they are delaying further cleaning until...….

Below are pictures of past clearings.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/40060264450/in/album-72157693009046381/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Great thread FD. I like to see the more human side of people. Retiring to Tennessee I live close to a lake. Once I settled in I bought a pontoon boat. Fun to cruise and hang out. Very easy to social distance that way. I came from CA so I mostly fished for trout and cold water fish. It will be a little different here and will need to learn the local way of fishing. I also golf so it is easy to social distance on the course. Only check in to pro shop by phone now. Our wellness center has closed temporarily and any group meetings are done for the foreseeable future. I make a Costco run once a week. We can play more dominoes and cards now staying home. Gas was 1.39 earlier in the week so we take drives exploring places we have not been to before. 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@outandabout wrote:

Yeah, life goes on. This year the east side won't be able to take the pass to the west side for some time to come, as they are delaying further cleaning until...….

Below are pictures of past clearings.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/40060264450/in/album-72157693009046381/

The North Cascades - God's country!

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Beautiful place @FD1001 . I will add it to my list of possible places to retire. 

I see that I should be able to get a decent (average) house around there (Gwinnett County)  for like 1 million.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@waffle wrote:

Beautiful place @FD1001 . I will add it to my list of possible places to retire. 

I see that I should be able to get a decent (average) house around there (Gwinnett County)  for like 1 million.

Maybe I gave the wrong impression. We live in the same neighborhood but a couple of streets away from the lake. I'm no dummy.  The average house here is around $400K and on the lake is $600-700K but we enjoy it without paying the high price. Our subdivision consists of several subdivisions, it's huge with several pools, sidewalks, many tennis courts and more but the HOA is under $700 annually.  While other subdivisions around us are 50+% more expensive with hardly any amenities and more the double the HOA. It's the same concept, you got the get the best risk/reward house/vehicles/others.  We do well, long research about everything we buy  :-)    BTW, Gwinnett County is cheaper than here.

That's the beauty of GA, real estate is one of the most affordable for a big city with these options and the north suburbs have great places including schools, safety, work, health care and more.  My son in law and daughter are much happier after they left CA but of course, they want to turn our state to another CA or NY (my wife's side of the family).  

I also want to tell you to cheer up, I was born and raised in Israel and immigrated in my mid 30", Corona is really a small thing, we will get over this and will show the world the path to beat it.  It's nothing compared to a real Iive combat  :-)

and don't forget what is really important in this order..family, health, money (sure, it's number 3), friends, work and your favorite sports team or material stuff are way behind.  Did you see that work is number 5? I know it's "unAmerican" but I believe that if you are smart with a little hutzpa you can find ways to do it and why I hardly ever worked extra hours.  You are living in the best country in the world, you just don't know/realize/respect it  :-)

Sorry, if stepped on someone's toes.

Highlighted
Participant ○

@Win1177 wrote:

My medical practice has slowed somewhat, many “healthy” people are (appropriately) cancelling their appts., in order to avoid exposure (We’re fine with that!). We’re having to go through additional precautions (gowns, masks, etc.) to see people who are sick. Backlog of test results means we still do NOT know the true incidence of Coronavirus. SC labs ran out of testing reagents, so 48 hour backlog. Suspect it’s much higher than people realize. Hoping I DO NOT catch the virus myself, trying to be careful but my wife is FREAKED OUT. 

Some doctors have changed appointments to video visits. I just had one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

I totally agree, this is very nice topic. I think we all need a distraction from the world we now live in.

I’ve been retired almost 6 years now while my wife has two more years to work. She is currently home temporarily until the school system reopens. I guess we’re getting an early taste of both of us in retirement. Long walks with our old dogs are about the only thing left to do. As the weather is getting nice in NJ, yard work, riding bikes and walking are about it. Our April vacation is already gone and trip over New Years is in jeopardy. Both our boys live close by and we miss seeing them and our grandson terribly but it will pass. Afternoons on the deck, with my Sapphire and Tonic, music playing, a loyal old dog by my side, talking to the wife and watching all the neighborhood kids walk and ride bikes past our house, really isn’t too bad. No complaints here.

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Pictures of past clearings:

I thought for a moment it might be Glacier National Park, which posts lots of photos every year of spring plowing of Going to the Sun Road for its devotees, but then I couldn't identify the mountains.

Colleagues under quarantine in northern Italy are having aperitifs with friends over Skype.

A 24-hr live stream of music, MusicNeverSleepsNYC (YouTube,) or #mnsnyc, is still ongoing (3-28). Alicia Wailerstein is performing one movement daily from Bach's Suites for unaccompanied cello; videos are available on her Twitter account. #36DaysOfBach.

The cultural orgs are stepping up with content they would normally not dispense for free. 

Otherwise, very long circuitous routes on foot to the grocery!

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.