cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
     
Participant ○○

Leadership in Challenging Times

As a NYC resident, I think Gov Cuomo is demonstrating extraordinary leadership in troubled times. He has responded thoughtfully using data as well as a mensch understanding of constituent concerns, let alone the fears that emerge as each of us are more isolated than we are accustomed to.  I’ve found his calm presentation of facts, not sugar coated nor fear-inducing, along with his personal reflections on family and life, as well as directions for surviving and thriving in this scifi scenario we are living in, to strike the right note for a concerned populace. He is not running for president, though I wish he were the current one.

Brian

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Leadership in Challenging Times

I don't normally get involved in what may become a political debate.

I am a NY and FL resident.  

I watch NY-Cuomo daily news briefing, as well as Trumps.  Yes, Cuomo very good...much better than NY Mayor DeB. involvement/insights to date.  

But I'm not surprised.  It is why the country usually votes Governer's the most as president.  They manage things.  The country  hardly ever votes in Senators for POTUS, who do nothing in their lives but press buttons to vote! 

Interestingly, I thought Cuomo went too far today in complaining about feds not supplying ventilators.  Complained FEMA only delvd 2 days ago 400, he needs 10,000-20,000.  But Pence today confirmed fema has 2,000 ventilators sitting on the docks of NY city today, with 2000 scheduled tomorrow.  Trump also displayed a NY State contract for buying 16,000 ventilators in the past (couple years ago), for NY state, that Cuomo wouldn't  sign off on...interesting times!  

BTW, from Cuomo data charts presented today. NY city has 650 people in ICUs today.  Only ICU patients use ventilators.  Cuomo also stated he has 3000 (from memory) ventilators on hand.  Do the math.  there is no shortage of ventilators, today, and thousands on the way, and tens of thousands being produced.  

Lastly, Cuomo's Dad (Mario-Gov) would not run for president, even though odds-on fav.  It is said some skeletons are in the closet here somewhere.  Will current gov ever run??!!

R48

Edit to add: Just saw on TV NYC Mayor Bill D. on the docking area standing beside/displaying  2000+ ventilators he just got.  Cuomo cried wolf today..hope he doesn't get political.

Highlighted
Participant ○

Re: Leadership in Challenging Times

Cuomo's level headed, stern approach is reassuring.  A leader who can lead.  No twitter, no cheap shots, no self-promotion, no personal agenda, no claims that its a Hoax.  

We could use some of that in the WH and in Congress.  Instead the swamp festers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: Leadership in Challenging Times

Cuomo, Dewine, Inslee, Hogan, any of the governors aside from that guy from Florida (who apparently wanted to be the mayor of the town in "Jaws") would be preferable. Dr.Fauci will soon be gone and banished back to Planet Reality and replaced with some sycophantic hack. Is anyone seriously, truly, really surprised at the failure in leadership in the White House? As most M* folks are north of 175  years old, this might be of interest. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/texas-lt-governor-suggests-elderly-should-risk-lives-save-econom...

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Leadership in Challenging Times


@jadster33 wrote:

Cuomo's level headed, stern approach is reassuring.  A leader who can lead.  No twitter, no cheap shots, no self-promotion, no personal agenda, no claims that its a Hoax.  

We could use some of that in the WH and in Congress.  Instead the swamp festers.


@BrianG @pudman 

Unfortunately, you have joe to run against Trump, once he stops sniffing young girl's hair, but he doesn't have to worry about Barista, given oil has tanked to $25/bbl!

Unfortunately, there are too many videos of joe to post.  I like this one in particular.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: Leadership in Challenging Times

In times like this, half the country, maybe more, would accept dictatorship. Any reported Covid-19 cases in N. Korea?

 

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: Leadership in Challenging Times


@DJANG0 wrote:

In times like this, half the country, maybe more, would accept dictatorship. Any reported Covid-19 cases in N. Korea?

umm, no, I don’t think so.  At least I hope that would not be true.

Brian

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Leadership in Challenging Times

Brian started a useful thread.

Then came the slurs from the Left and Right.

Don't some of you folks know how predictable and boring you are?

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Bob

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: Leadership in Challenging Times


@BrianG wrote:

@DJANG0 wrote:

In times like this, half the country, maybe more, would accept dictatorship. Any reported Covid-19 cases in N. Korea?

umm, no, I don’t think so.  At least I hope that would not be true.

Brian

 


I'm glad Gov. Cuomo is providing leadership, and don't have many doubts states with stronger central governments will come through this in better shape than those without. They have better established safety nets. Heck, Forida and Texas still have part time legislatures.

But yeah, I worry about where this leads, and am quite dismayed at how the public has reacted so far.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Leadership in Challenging Times

Regarding Cuomo's plea for ventilators: The projection is for a peak need of 30,000 additional ventilators in two weeks. Two thousand "on the docks" mean that only 28,000 die a horrible death. Given the competition for supplies and projected lead times, waiting until the beds are full seems like a very bad idea.

Did Cuomo actually turn down the purchase of ventilators or is this the stuff of conspiracy bloggers being propagated by those who are willing dupes? LINK

Was it a "New York State contract", or something printed off an internet bog site?

"Trump was quoting a Gateway Pundit blog post that falsely accuses Cuomo of turning down the purchase of ventilators in 2016, and which is based on an opinion column penned by the co-inventor of the original “death panel” lie, Betsy McCaughey.

But no such purchase was actually considered or offered, McCaughey simply hypothesizes that Cuomo could have stockpiled ventilators instead of, or as well as, having a health task force establish guidelines for allocating ventilator use during a pandemic."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: Leadership in Challenging Times

No, he hopes they die on their own and appreciates the torture.


@DJANG0 wrote:

In times like this, half the country, maybe more, would accept dictatorship. Any reported Covid-19 cases in N. Korea?

 


 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Re: Leadership in Challenging Times

In many states the legislature sits only for part of the year.  In VA, it is no more than 60 days every other year, in alternate years, its 45 days.  Each session is then followed by a Reconvened Session on or about the sixth Wednesday after adjournment of any session (Regular or Special). The purpose of the Reconvened Session is to consider any Governor's amendments or vetoes to legislation. A Reconvened Session typically lasts one day, sometimes up to three or seven.  The governor has said he will not call a Special Session to deal with the virus at this time.  Virginia, unlike CO, is a "strong governor" state who has authority to act in emergencies without legislative approval; he can call out the National Guard and even the unorganized state militia without their review.  Members of the unorganized state militia are normally used for traffic and non-criminal matters should law enforcement resources be drained, in this case by illness.  (When state police were sent to southwest VA by Governor Wilder, I served as a member of the unorganized state militia, but I am too old now.)

The governors of VA and MD, of two different parties, are, with the mayor of DC, acting in tandem, their actions are in many ways not distinguishable, so that their citizens do not get conflicting messages. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Leadership in Challenging Times


@DrVenture wrote:

Regarding Cuomo's plea for ventilators: The projection is for a peak need of 30,000 additional ventilators in two weeks. Two thousand "on the docks" mean that only 28,000 die a horrible death. Given the competition for supplies and projected lead times, waiting until the beds are full seems like a very bad idea.

Did Cuomo actually turn down the purchase of ventilators or is this the stuff of conspiracy bloggers being propagated by those who are willing dupes? LINK

Was it a "New York State contract", or something printed off an internet bog site?

"Trump was quoting a Gateway Pundit blog post that falsely accuses Cuomo of turning down the purchase of ventilators in 2016, and which is based on an opinion column penned by the co-inventor of the original “death panel” lie, Betsy McCaughey.

But no such purchase was actually considered or offered, McCaughey simply hypothesizes that Cuomo could have stockpiled ventilators instead of, or as well as, having a health task force establish guidelines for allocating ventilator use during a pandemic."


According to the CEO of meditronic which make ventilators, there are only 60,000 in the US and only 200,000 worldwide. Making 50,000 ventilators will be a challenge which will take longer than several months.

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Re: Leadership in Challenging Times

"Posting Standards
To keep the Site a civil and respectful forum for debate and discussion, all users are prohibited from posting content: 

of a political nature."

MFO is allowing more political discussion, so perhaps try there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Leadership in Challenging Times


@ViveBene wrote:

"Posting Standards
To keep the Site a civil and respectful forum for debate and discussion, all users are prohibited from posting content: 

of a political nature."

MFO is allowing more political discussion, so perhaps try there.


ViveBene is correct. I'm locking this thread.

Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.