cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

KUDOS!!? Are you kidding me?? KUDOS!!!?

Coach Jim Mora once famously ranted, “PLAYOFFS!? Don’t talk about . . . .PLAYOFFS!? Are you kidding me? PLAYOFFS!!!!?

Inspiration for “KUDOS!? Are you kidding me? KUDOS!?

I recently came across a writing, a study, titled something like “KUDOS vs. IGNORES.” Something like that. It may or may not have been peer-reviewed. It made some interesting points, summarized here:

A current Morningstar 'kudos' has the following characteristics:

• A mouse click by one poster to a specific post of another poster; one click = one kudos given
• There could be many reasons for a kudos received for a given post
• A kudos received might mean you were funny or insightful or profound for that one post. Maybe you posted something that made another poster some money. Maybe another poster is just screwing with you for his own perverse reasons. Maybe it’s just a virtual pat on the tuchus.
• Receiving a kudos for one post does not carry over to other postings. Many posters are capable of posting something kudos-worthy one instant and then following up with another post that is manifestly stupid and/or cringe-worthy.
• Some posters give out a lot of kudos. The study indicated that the motivation for this behavior is difficult to ascertain; it could be that some just like to run up the numbers no matter the metric or maybe they’re not very discerning and can’t tell the difference between a brilliant post and a crap post.
• Kudos received is not a differentiating factor. A kudos received for crap is equal to a kudos received for brilliance.

A former Morningstar 'Ignore' had the following characteristics:

• A mouse click by one poster that affects his relationship to another poster
• An Ignore was not post-specific; one couldn’t just ignore one specific post. Putting another poster on Ignore meant that one never again had to suffer another poster. The sun broke through the clouds, a soft breeze blew away the crap, butterflies fluttered about and scotch tasted better.
• Generally, one didn’t ignore another poster just because of one post. An Ignore was usually given for a body of work by another poster.
• There could be many reasons for being ignored.
• Being ignored might mean you’re perceived to be “condescending, argumentative, dismissive, or combative” with the sole intent of forcing your opinion down everyone’s throat. Being ignored might mean you’re a joannie-one-note, saying the same thing and making the same tired comparisons over and over and over and over. Being ignored might mean that another poster doesn’t believe all that chest-thumping braggadocio stuff. Being ignored often meant you were simply a troll, like a dividend investor who constantly posts ‘higher yield means higher returns’ on the bogler forum. Or the opposite.
• Posters generally did not give out a lot of ignores. Ignoring a lot of posters meant you’d have a pretty barren forum experience.

As I recall the study finished with just a few points: (1) Clicking Ignore was serious; clicking kudos not so much. (2) Clicking Ignore enhanced one’s forum experience; clicking kudos doesn’t amount to a tinker’s **bleep**. (3) Clicking Ignore meant it had been earned by a body of work over some reasonable period of time and had far-reaching and long-standing ramifications; clicking kudos is transitory and superficial with no consequences one way or the other.

The author did note that it was inevitable that one day a highly Ignored poster on the legacy forums would become Valued on the new forums and he wondered what that might mean for everyone’s long-term health and well-being.

13 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Re: KUDOS!!? Are you kidding me?? KUDOS!!!?

@cliff wrote:

I recently came across a writing, a study, titled something like “KUDOS vs. IGNORES.” Something like that.

Is this a writing that we can access? Or does it come from a mythical world? It is a thoughtful analysis, so I went ahead and gave your post a kudo.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Does anyone ELSE find it ironic that a post denigrating kudos would ITSELF receive kudos?!

Entertaining as always, Cliff...

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Cliff, you are ignoring the old 'Favorite' badge, which has gone away.  A true measure of the quality of a poster was the Favorite/Ignore ratio, with a high percentage being better, sorta like high yield.

Then, they should have an inverse Kudo flag for something that is so egregious that other posters think is not worth the effort to read.  I would nominate the word Dung as the name of that flag.

ElLobo, de la casa de la toro caca grande
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

ElLobo, for sure but you wouldn't want to wave that one around.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Kudos for all who post on this thread ::))

Capital
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

As Whiteny (RIP) sang "and I'm savin' all my kudos for youuuuuu!"     I only give the Big K to my muses - Cliffie and Chang-chan. Al I've only ignored Limoman and myself.  I also think M* should offer more and more of the indecipherable cutie emoticons to indulge my inner child.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Cliff,

I have been promoted to "valued contributor" status.  I thank you and my other supporters for awarding me for this recognition, as I take my place at the top of the M* pyramid along with other valued contributors like Yogibearbull and FD1001.  I am deeply touched.

My only question is: what comes next?  What comes after "valued contributor" status?  To what heights may I aspire now?  It's my understanding that "valued contributor" status is as far as it goes.  No "super valued contributor" or "infinitely valued contributor" status? 

Maybe it's time for a sabbatical?  Time to write my autobiography?  Perhaps go into politics? 

N.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@racqueteer wrote:

Does anyone ELSE find it ironic that a post denigrating kudos would ITSELF receive kudos?!

Entertaining as always, Cliff...

Yep, that is why I did it! Irony. Plus it is pretty much the quintessential piece on kudos!

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Cliff, you sound awfully uppity for someone who is just an Explorer ○○○.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: KUDOS!!? Are you kidding me?? KUDOS!!!? [Kudo or Kudos?]

Is it kudo or kudos?

Word kudos originates from Greek kydos and is singular. 

Kudo wasn't a word but early misuse made it an acceptable word in English.   https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/kudo#usage-1

"Some commentators hold that since kudos is a singular word it cannot be used as a plural and that the word kudo is impossible. But kudo does exist; it is simply one of the most recent words created by back-formation from another word misunderstood as a plural. Kudos was introduced into English in the 19th century; it was used in contexts where a reader unfamiliar with Greek could not be sure whether it was singular or plural. By the 1920s it began to appear as a plural, and about 25 years later kudo began to appear. It may have begun as a misunderstanding, but then so did cherry and pea."

How does this website handle it? The icon starts with 0 Kudos, then becomes 1 Kudo, and then becomes 2 Kudos,...., n Kudos. It seems that the site programmers went an extra mile to create a mixed-up usage of Kudo vs Kudos.

YBB
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Brilliant!!

I could not 'ignore' this post, so I kudoed it.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

"Word kudos originates from Greek kydos and is singular."

Now I'm curious.   Which Greek word correctly captures the original meaning of Kudos?  Whenever I do the Google Translate of Kudos to Greek, I come up with three Greek words, with slightly different meanings, important for this discussion.  They are Δόξα, a direct translation of Kudos into Greek, δόξα, which apparently means glory, kudos, renown, bay, and φήμη, which apparently means reputation, fame, rumor, renown, name, kudos.  Likewise, Kydos itself translates to Κυδου.

Now, all of these seems to apply, in our case, to the POSTER, not the actual post!

"It seems that the site programmers went an extra mile to create a mixed-up usage of Kudo vs Kudos."

Worse than that, Yogi.  If Kudos should be applied to the poster, not the post, the programmers should move the tag up next to the posters name, not at the bottom, below the line.

And if the total number of Kudos received by a poster is significant, that number should be posted every time he/she/other starts a thread or posts in someone else's thread.  Currently, as I understand it, one's status on the M* forums, as Norbie seems to understand now, depends only on the number of posts made, NOT on the number of Kudos received!  Some posters could make a lots of meaningless posts and attain Valued Participant status, even if he/she/other never received a Kudos from anyone, let alone another Valued Participant!

Bottom line, M*Ryan, in order for a Kudos to have any real meaning, please clear it with management first, but I would suggest that Kudos ONLY be allowed to be given BY Valued Participants, and promotion to Valued Participant be determined by the number of Kudos received by same!  The whole concept of Kudos seems to have been cheapened and I am quite disappointed as a result!  The ONLY legitimate way for a Valued Participant to ever gain a valued participant reputation, consistent with one original meaning of the Greek word is praise (aka Kudos) from a jury of his/her/whatever peers!

ElLobo, de la casa de la toro caca grande
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Kudos gives one something to look at when there are no new interesting posts. Consider the old circus; it's like a side show. 

Announcements