cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Bentley
Contributor ○

Its that time of year......:))

The preseason college basketball AP poll is here! 🚨 1. Michigan State 2. Kentucky 3. Kansas 4. Duke 5. Louisville 6. Florida 7. Maryland 8. Gonzaga 9. North Carolina 10. Villanova

Now for the bad news. Zion had surgery on his knee and expected to be out 6-8 weeks.

0 Kudos
91 Replies
Bazinga
Participant ○

Re: Its that time of year......:))

Zion needs to back away from the biscuit tray or it's gonna be a career of nagging ankle/knee issues.

0 Kudos
pudman
Explorer ○○○

Brants, I'm afraid that Baz is right. That southern thang about deep fry and gravy is bad for the 6 Billion Dollar man. Especially on that 5' 11" frame (Duke height : 6' 7") If he doesn't watch it he'll make Charles Barkley (The Round Mound of Rebound!) look like Manute Bol. Duke #4 ? Is that fool Christian Laettner stuffin' the ballot box agin? Gonzaga is #8 which just shows that the Zags are TWICE the team the Blue Deviled Eggs are! 

0 Kudos
outandabout
Participant ○○○

Don't know enough about Duke to comment, pudman, but I do follow the Zags.

0 Kudos
PaulR888
Participant ○○○

From title of thread, my first thought was planning for Roth conversions.  My second thought was Breeder's Cup from Santa Anita.   Guess I am not an early hoops fan.  But I do like March Madness.   

0 Kudos
pudman
Explorer ○○○

OutAbout, moi aussie. Although I spent time at Seattle U., they decided back in the early 80's to drop sports into the pillow fight division (although since have changed their minds and tried to reverse) so I had to go with the other Jesuits in state. Have a lot of family and friends who've attended/ taught there and like what Few has done with the program. According to nephews/nieces etc he also recruits only solid smart kids who can hack it at a Jebby school. No scandals in Spokane. All kidding of Brantley aside, Duke is better than most but they can't change the fact they are always going to be on the wrong side of Mason-Dixon. I like Villanova and Seton Hall as well. The Catholic universities, for historical reasons well understood, always concentrated more on hoops than other sports. Soccer would be another example of the same kind.

0 Kudos
GLI2019
Contributor ○

The Zags and MSU scrimmaged in Denver recently. FWIW Zags won.

MSU will be 10-12 deep. We expect great entertainment here in East Lansing,  As Izzo has said, there are 6, 8, or 10 teams that could win the Big Show.

Bob

0 Kudos
Bentley
Contributor ○

There have been several comments by both members and talking heads that insinuate and sometimes outright claim that Zion is too fat or out of shape to play in the NBA. Many also claimed he would not be able to get up and down the court with the more athletic college players. The stats prove that he is the most dominating college player since modern metrics have been kept. He is currently tied for third place among all NBA players and by far and away the top-scoring rookie on average per game.

Zion is too heavy to play at an elite college level.” Say what????????

How many fat guys have you seen dunk from the free-throw line before they have even played their first college exhibition game?

How could an out of shape athlete win ESPN’s 2019 ESPY award for Best College Athlete?

Can anyone name a 285# athlete with a 50 inch vertical, let alone an out of shape one?

Zion also holds Best Box Plus-Minus since records have been kept!!! Williamson’s mark of +20.00 ranks first among 25,793 individual seasons. Miles behind in #2 position including all the players who stayed all four years in college. Not sure this record will ever be broken.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/bpm-player-yearly.html

Best PER ( Player efficiency rating ) since records have been kept.

He is the only player with at least 400 minutes played to EVER post a PER over 40.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/per-player-season.html

Zion is going to have a tough time competing with NBA players at his current 285#.”

Zion is currently tied for third place in average points scored per game. When he played the Jazz, he was guarded by Rudy Gobert, the 2018 and 2019 defensive player of the year. Results? Zion scored 26 points. Rudy looked like a child trying to keep Zion from scoring in the paint.

Zion is jacked, rumors of his being too heavy and out of shape must be put in context. The kid is 19, and he has yet to play a regular-season game. He will be in much better shape at the end of the season, but as it stands now, nobody can keep this kid from scoring and nobody can out tough him. He is a monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNuJCKhe4AM

As it stands now, MSU will be our toughest out, IMHO.

0 Kudos
GLI2019
Contributor ○

One man down already for MSU. Langford out at least until January with reinjured foot. That's a 15 point average but an opportunity for new guards--Rocket Watts, in particular. 

Bob

0 Kudos
Bentley
Contributor ○

Looking forward to our Dec 3rd match in Lansing...........:))

0 Kudos
GLI2019
Contributor ○

Definitely, Bentley.

Coach K has been a tough out for Izzo no matter where they play.

But it's two Hall of Famers and that's plenty good enough for me!

Bob

0 Kudos
SandyinBoca
Follower ○○○

The pattern remains the same. Izzo always plays the tough ones early, often Duke or a tournament with top ten teams in it (and usually loses). That gets the team a measure of themselves and ready for the brutal Big 10 season. The design is to make them really tough by the NCAA tournament. It often works, and what is amazing is that he never gets the very top players. Too clean a program. Admirable guy. He is also the one that stayed although he could have left any time for more money. Think Saban, the jack rabbit.

For those that may not remember, Saban was the Michigan Sate football coach and left immediately after taking them to their first Rose Bowl in many years. To LSU then Dolphins then Alabama.

0 Kudos
bilperk
Participant ○○○

Sorry Sandy, but I never got this thing about how the fans should have some say in what a coach decides to do with his/her career.  While I do appreciate Izzo and coach K, I would not appreciate them less if they decided to go somewhere else in pursuit of happiness.  Coaches are no different than all the rest of us and owe nothing to the fans and school other than to give 100% while they are there.

0 Kudos
Bentley
Contributor ○

While very true, rabid fans such as myself could not help but feel disappointed in a long time coach switching teams. There was a two week period in the mid-2000s that had every Duke fan on pins and needles

Krzyzewski rebukes lucrative Lakers offer
Jul 5, 2004
ESPN.com news services 

DURHAM, N.C. -- Mike Krzyzewski is staying at Duke, ending
talks with the Los Angeles Lakers about becoming their coach.
"Your heart has to be in whatever you lead," Krzyzewski said
Monday. "It became apparent that this decision was somewhat easier
to make because you have to follow your heart and lead with it and
Duke has always taken up my whole heart."
Krzyzewski, who has won three national titles at Duke, said the
 timing of the Lakers' offer, reported by ESPN's Stephen A. Smith as a five-year, $40 million deal, and their prominence as one of
 professional sports' most famous franchises made the chance to
coach them tempting. But he never got to the point of being ready
to leave.

BTW, have you seen the 25 and 1 preseason rankings.

MSU #1

DUKE #2

I'm afraid your experienced team will once again come out on top, on "your" home court Dec 3rd meeting with us. Hoping for an exciting game, but our freshman will have to gel and learn the system quickly for that to happen.

0 Kudos
bilperk
Participant ○○○

Life is full of disappointment, and I am full of life :o}

GLI2019
Contributor ○

Izzo 2 Coach K 11.

December is December. March is a whole 'nother thing.

Bob 

P.S. The Saban departure was complicated. The president of MSU wanted him to go. Refused to budge on a raise.  The chair of the trustees--a jock sniffer--tried to mediate.  Saban's staff didn't join him at LSU despite Saban sending a private plane to bring his staff.

Re Izzo and Saban: they are tight friends to this day, though different men.

0 Kudos
Bentley
Contributor ○

@bilperk wrote:

Life is full of disappointment, and I am full of life :o}

Your Avatar says it all........:)

0 Kudos
SandyinBoca
Follower ○○○

Bilperk

Of course they can go wherever they want. It is totally about the integrity of the individual. I can admire the coach who stays and tries to build a champion where he is while running a clean program in an unclean world. And I can dislike a man who not only repeatedly leaves, but tells his team a week before he leaves that he is definitely staying.

0 Kudos
Bentley
Contributor ○

Last night in the NBA

Kyrie Irving………..50 pts

Luke Kennard……30 pts

Justice Winslow…27 pts

RJ Barrett………..21 pts

Jayson Tatum…..21 pts

Go Duke!     Season tickets arrived this morning. 1st game Sat night 7pm. Woooo Hooooo!

0 Kudos
GLI2019
Contributor ○

"Justice Winslow" is one of the great names in American sports.

The name reminds of me of the great American jurist: Learned Hand. :-)

Bob

0 Kudos
Announcements

To learn more about the recent changes to Morningstar.com, please see the updated FAQ.

See recent posts and all our forums or access the old forums here.

You can read the community guidelines in