cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I just don't believe this.

I just wanted to escape this problem back home. When I read this story, it is all too familiar for me. But, I was shocked that this has happened here in the US. The caste system is a form of discrimination in employment and educational aspects of life back in India. I thought that this would have been eliminated even in India. Apparently, this thing has come here because most IT guys have come from there.

8 Replies
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: I just don't believe this.

Definitely terrible stuff that must be stamped out and not allowed to happen here.

Despite all of America's chaos and struggles, its one strength that even gives us the long term edge on China IMO is as a draw to people the world over who just want a chance to work hard and rise according to their abilities.

We should be giving out H1B visas to 10 or 100 times more people than we have been.  Anyone with merit who wants to come and join the melting pot and build something better.  I hope we will move more in that direction soon, as it is our real strength.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

ECE, I've had some limited experience with the Indian caste system. Mainly with "high" caste friends whose attitudes and opinions sometimes left me shaking my head in bewilderment. I've had much more with the Japanese system, which also is very nutty. I'm sure your stories of Indian caste discrimination and mine of Japanese are probably pretty similar. And neither very different from being born and raised black in America.  Unfortunately. Am somewhat surprised to find it at Cisco in California but maybe I shouldn't be. **bleep** shame.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I am not a Dalit, and by their caste system, I belonged to what is called a "forward community." Yet, I was sad then because I have seen it in my limited experience of only few years of employment there. But, it is appaling that this is happening here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

“Prejudices are what fools use for reason.”
— Voltaire

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

I'm curious as to how one distinguishes people belonging to different castes.  Is there an apparent physical characteristic that would be an indicator?  Do they practice their religion differently based on caste?  Do people announce their caste when they are introduced?  How would engineers in California know a new arrival was of a different caste?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@WillieB1 wrote:

I'm curious as to how one distinguishes people belonging to different castes.  Is there an apparent physical characteristic that would be an indicator?  Do they practice their religion differently based on caste?  Do people announce their caste when they are introduced?  How would engineers in California know a new arrival was of a different caste?

Our School certificates have these identifications - I understand that they still need them for educational and scholarships. Dalits and other backward communities use these certificates to get aids for their educational and job opportunities.

Even my school cerficate has the identification even though I did not and could not use those because I had merit scholarships throughout my college education. My parents did not have to spend a penny for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

It is amazing how much importance and self worth people invest in what seems to me as sheer luck to be born into a cast or race or even family. None of these are real accomplishments or anything earned.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@archer wrote:

It is amazing how much importance and self worth people invest in what seems to me as sheer luck to be born into a cast or race or even family. None of these are real accomplishments or anything earned.

Politics in India revolves around castes even today - on a bigger scale. It is called "Vote Bank" politics. I do not want to get into the deatils of Indian Politics. It has not changed much since I left 45 years ago. Indeed, there are now Dalit parties and factions too (that did not exist then) whose leaders make living on the back of these people. What worries me that the politics of the Indian caste system got into our system.

0 Kudos
Announcements