cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: I have to get the Coronavirus test

I work on my knees for 5 minutes and it's a pain to get up. I hate that!

@Holiday wrote:

Very sorry to hear about your struggles agitator. It must be inexplicably troubling. I do wish you the very best. 

I am slowly slipping into decrepitude, and it is disturbing sometimes. The body says "you think THAT hurt?" "Get a load of this!" It would take me some time to adjust to a more rapid descent. A lot of contemplation.

Thank you,

Holiday

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

MLott1,

Sorry to hear about this, and will include you in my prayers! It is true that occasionally Covid-19 presents primarily with GI symptoms- Diarrhea, abdominal cramping, etc. Sometimes this comes w/o a fever/ cough or the other more "common" symptoms, that is why they probably are recommending testing. (That's the MD in me). 

The "good news" is that maybe you will develop antibodies WITHOUT having a severe case- and be better protected against a future life threatening infection. At least that's what we hope!

Win
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Regarding "when you lose, don't lose the lesson", I picked that up from an investment book, "The Dick Davis Dividend: Straight Talk on Making Money From 40 Years on Wall Street".  All I knew about Dick Davis was that he used to write a dividend investing newsletter, but I'm always trying new books, so I checked it out from the library (this was during my Washington state years).  I was very pleasantly surprised at how good the book was, I got quite a bit out of it.  It might be out of print, but I would imagine that you could get it from a public library, or look to buy it used.  

I don't go around looking for quotes, but every now and then I'll read or hear something that really resonates with me.  I started jotting them down on a spiral 5x7 notebook, and it's a habit that I'm glad I got into.  There is a whole lot of very useful information out there in the world if you can learn to filter out the noise...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Any word from mlott1?

Hope he's ok.

Bob 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@GLI2019  I'm still here, thanks for asking.  Ended up getting scheduled for the test this morning at 8:35.  Officially, test results in four to five days, but the person who was screening this morning said that they were running a little better than that on some and it might be three days.  

I hate to sound like an old man who just talks about his aches and pains, but I'm also having some serious back pain.  I'm scheduled for an MRI on the 16th, but right now, if this pain doesn't ease off, I'm probably going to go to the emergency room.  So if I fall off the radar for a few days, that's probably why.

Oh, the coronavirus test wasn't bad at all.  Felt a little weird having the swab up my nose and "take a deep breath", but I had about convinced myself that it was going to be very unpleasant, and it wasn't.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@mlott1 : Glad that you went through the test.  Certainly hope that your will recover from your back pain quickly.

We here are all concerned/praying for you/family.

Best wishes!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

mlott1,

Yeah, when I had the swab test it felt like it went up through my sinus to what's left of my brain! :-)

All the best,

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

@mlott1 wrote:

@GLI2019  I'm still here, thanks for asking.  Ended up getting scheduled for the test this morning at 8:35.  Officially, test results in four to five days, but the person who was screening this morning said that they were running a little better than that on some and it might be three days.  

I hate to sound like an old man who just talks about his aches and pains, but I'm also having some serious back pain.  I'm scheduled for an MRI on the 16th, but right now, if this pain doesn't ease off, I'm probably going to go to the emergency room.  So if I fall off the radar for a few days, that's probably why.

Oh, the coronavirus test wasn't bad at all.  Felt a little weird having the swab up my nose and "take a deep breath", but I had about convinced myself that it was going to be very unpleasant, and it wasn't.  

Back pains...... we're in the same boat. Words from doctors has been "sorry, no cure for your problem, you have to learn 'pain management'".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@GLI2019  Maybe the test wasn't so bad because the swab encountered no resistance when it got up to the brain area.  

@Poorfolio  I had never had any back problems in my life, until about three years ago.  I am under the care of a pain management doctor for foot pain (multiple surgeries, a lot of joint damage due to repeated gout attacks) and lower back pain (arthritis), but my current medication is just overwhelmed by this new problem, which appears to be sciatic nerve pain.  I am scheduled for an MRI on 16 Jun, but right now it is a struggle.

@51hh  Thanks for the post, all good thoughts and best wishes are appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

@GLI2019 wrote:

mlott1,

Yeah, when I had the swab test it felt like it went up through my sinus to what's left of my brain! :-)

All the best,

Bob

Just wanted to clarify that the nasal swab test being done now is much less intrusive.  Had a COVID drive-thru test performed this morning.  Nothing to it.  You handle the swab yourself, rather than having someone else with no feel for your nose poking around in it.  You only need to insert the swab about halfway up the nostril, twirl for a few seconds, then hold in place for 10-15 sec.  Repeat with the other nostril and you're done.  Virtually no feeling to it at all...

By the way, I'm not symptomatic.  We invited someone to come & stay with us for a while, and they insisted on getting a COVID test done first.  We decided it would be a little hypocritical not to get one done ourselves.  At a higher level, its also a bit comforting to know that COVID tests here (Illinois/Chicago area...) are now readily available, extremely easy & quick to get done, and free.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Test results came back NEGATIVE.  Notified Saturday afternoon, from the Thursday morning test.  From what I've seen and heard, that's pretty good.  I appreciate the thoughts, concerns and comments expressed by everyone.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Thank God you are alright! So glad to hear this!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, very good to hear the good news.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Outstanding!

Bob 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

@mlott1 wrote:

@Poorfolio  I had never had any back problems in my life, until about three years ago.  I am under the care of a pain management doctor for foot pain (multiple surgeries, a lot of joint damage due to repeated gout attacks) and lower back pain (arthritis), but my current medication is just overwhelmed by this new problem, which appears to be sciatic nerve pain.  I am scheduled for an MRI on 16 Jun, but right now it is a struggle.

Same here, arthritis and some bulges. I still remember my first MRI. Long, narrow, dark, noisy machine - speaking of claustrophobia. Luckily I was flying on prescribed codeine for the pain so I just kept my eyes closed through the entire process.

Glad your Covid test came back negative. Take care. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Glad to hear that you are ok. Enjoy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@mlott1 , I had microsurgery for sciatica from lower-back some years back. Should have done it earlier but had heard bad stories about old-style back surgeries. The microsurgery was a much simpler outpatient procedure. MRI can pinpoint the location where it is needed. I was told to go to a neurosurgeon, not an orthopedic surgeon.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

@mlott1 Normally, I think you like to be known as a positive person but being negative in this regard is wonderful.  Good for you.  Take care.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@yogibearbull  Thanks for your suggestion yesterday.  My back was so bad that as soon as I got cleared for the coronavirus, I called the ex to come over, that I had to go to the hospital.  Wanted her here to help with the cats, and to close up after we left.  After spending a few hours at the hospital (they started working on me as soon as I came in) they discharged me.  Did a CAT scan and I guess at the lower range of the lower back things were starting to look not so good.  That was all the scanning that they did.  Gave me a prescription for a few pain pills and muscle relaxers.  I do have an appointment on the 16th for a MRI.  But unless I'm topped up with the pills, I can barely move.  One thing that has really helped is that the ex ran out and bought me a walker from CVS.  Sunday morning I call the 24 hour nurse line at blue cross blue shied and they recommended that I see my primary physician as soon as possible, which I was already planning on doing.  Will call in a few hours when they open, and if they can't see me, there is a walk in clinic a few footsteps away.  Something has to give, I can hardly function.  Feel funny talking about the ex again, but she has been a big help the last few days.

@Everyone else:  Thanks again for the posts, but I might be a bit slow in posting these next few days.  Take care, and don't pick up any back problems!

0 Kudos
Announcements