cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: I have to get the Coronavirus test

I'm actually not stressing about it, I'm like richardsok in thinking the probability is low.  I just want to get the process moving along.  

I have used the Walmart delivery service twice, mainly for bulky or heavy items.  Got a good deal on a 4k television on the Black Friday sale and had it delivered, and later I did an order for some multi-packs of cat litter.  No problems with either delivery.  And I used Amazon to get some containers of cat treats, and the order was enough that I got free shipping.  I haven't used Walmart or anyone else for a regular grocery shopping run, but I guess I will if I have to.  

My freezer is full, the pantry is very well-stocked, and plenty of cat food and cat litter (can't have cat food without the cat litter!) so any grocery run will just be a small order for perishables like bread and fruit.  

The really good thing about all this is that the ex-wife is not upset at having to self-quarantine, I was a bit concerned that she would be mad about it, but no.  

So, I'm just waiting for Tuesday.

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

@mlott1 wrote:

The really good thing about all this is that the ex-wife is not upset at having to self-quarantine, I was a bit concerned that she would be mad about it, but no.  

So, I'm just waiting for Tuesday.

Probably wife is happy to be given a break, and do you pay for her Wawa gas? J/K, I hope everything is fine and take care.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@agitator wrote:

I am auto-immune compromised, and I am constantly fighting infections. Been hospitalized four times this year.

There is so much going on with my health, I've never asked details about the testing itself. So I can't answer the technicalities of your question. The doctors do want to know which ward to put me in. The one with other patients who have tested positive, or the ones that have not.

ps. I edited the above reply after you quoted it.

Very sorry to hear about your struggles agitator. It must be inexplicably troubling. I do wish you the very best. 

I am slowly slipping into decrepitude, and it is disturbing sometimes. The body says "you think THAT hurt?" "Get a load of this!" It would take me some time to adjust to a more rapid descent. A lot of contemplation.

Thank you,

Holiday

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@galeno wrote:

<snip>

I'd like to ger the antíbody test. And I WANT it to be POSITIVE. I'm SICK of not going out. When this is over I'm going to PARTY until I colapse. 

Party like it's 1999. 

You express the amount of pent-up demand there is out there. FSRPX has been on a real tear.

Holiday

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Galeno,

If you read the literature, the anti-body tests (plural) are unreliable. CDC says the results are wrong half the time. 

A week ago I had a swab test a few days prior to elective surgery. You might consider that first.

Bob

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@galeno wrote:

Our daughter was stuck outside Costa Rica for 2 months. She got home 3 days ago. Our borders are closed to all except returning LEGAL citizens and residents.

Our immigration people gave her a brief exam and a CV-19 nasal swab test. We hope to get the results tomorrow. She has to self-quarantine at home for 15 days. Supposedly if the cops catch her outside she could go to jail.

In the meantime she's isolated from us until we get a negative result or she stays in solitary confinement for 12 more days. 

I'd like to ger the antíbody test. And I WANT it to be POSITIVE. I'm SICK of not going out. When this is over I'm going to PARTY until I colapse. 

I know exactly what you mean.. the biggest disappointment earlier this week was the negative result of my AB test. My daughter’s though came in positive, as expected, as we evacuated her from Spain in March in a pretty poor condition. I guess we quarantined her pretty well inside the house.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

am slowly slipping into decrepitude, and it is disturbing sometimes. The body says "you think THAT hurt?" "Get a load of this!" It would take me some time to adjust to a more rapid descent. A lot of contemplation.

Thank you,

Holiday

I have had more serious medical trials and tribulations than i can count on both hands and feet.  What i have learned is, this is just a test.  Try some philosophy,  also the baghavagita is very inspiring.  My inevitable negativity is a by product of all the wonderful? events life has thrown my way .  You cant change what has already happened to you. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

"I am slowly slipping into decrepitude, and it is disturbing sometimes. The body says "you think THAT hurt?" "Get a load of this!" It would take me some time to adjust to a more rapid descent. A lot of contemplation."

Fortunately for us, our son and his family moved here from the "hot spot" and "death trap" of Chicago. My son and his wife are working from home. Since our home is big, it can accommodate all of us. We (especially my wife) are kind of busy taking care of our grand children. I just now played hide and seek with my four year old (she will be 5 year old in less than 2 weeks) grand daughter. So, since every body is busy, we have no problem. In fact, we are better now than normal. Even under normal conditions, we would be living with them in Chicago during summer.

Usually, we see problems in the south and west side outside of the belt way. However, yesterday, the rioting and looting was close (within a few hundred feet) of our home(s). It is fortunate that we are not there.

Loneliness is a big problem. Medicare sent last week an e-mail suggesting to get mental health care using e-visit. So, if you need help, you can do that. I assume that medicare will pay for it.

Any way, I wish every one good health. Take care of yourself.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@ECEPROF wrote:

Loneliness is a big problem. Medicare sent last week an e-mail suggesting to get mental health care using e-visit. So, if you need help, you can do that. I assume that medicare will pay for it.

Any way, I wish every one good health. Take care of yourself.

Wishing you the best. Being away from my fellow seniors is depressing and because who we are, we have to distance the longest.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

@FatKat wrote:

Wishing you the best. Being away from my fellow seniors is depressing and because who we are, we have to distance the longest.

AMEN! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@Poorfolio  Hope I got the right poorfolio.  Anyway, the ex-wife and I have a great relationship, as you may have guessed from my comments in this and other threads.  I do fillups for her when we are out, or I'll just give her some money to do it later.  And when I first moved back to Delaware, she suggested that I not spend money to buy a car, that she could take care of the transportation.  So we tried that out and it seemed to work just fine.  Since she was helping me out so much and it was saving me a lot of money, I started paying for things like new tires, oil changes, gas fillups, a repair here and there, etc.  I figured I was still coming out ahead by not having to buy a car or have the associated expenses like repairs and insurance.  And it really helped her out, too.  

We actually help each other out with money whenever one of us needs a temporary boost.  Especially in my first few years of retirement, before I started drawing social security, my retirement money by itself would sometimes get close toward the end of the month, and she would pay for my Walmart run, or loan me a little money, or both.  And with her having four daughters and lots of grandkids, she would sometimes have money emergencies and I would help her out.  

It's an unusual situation, but it works out great for both of us.  We each have someone we can depend on.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

If happy, happy in relationship, why divorce?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@jmrdnc  Why the divorce?  Extreme stupidity on my part.  Spending six and a half years in Washington state, away from everyone, gave me a lot of time to think, and come to terms with things.  As someone a lot wiser than me said, when you lose, don't lose the lesson.  It's a bit of a cliché to say that I came back a changed person, but that's what happened.  The ex was able to see that, and we were able to move on to a new phase in our relationship.

Which, right now, is waiting for that daggone coronavirus test!

Highlighted
Participant ○

Mlott1, you remind me of a friend I had a couple years ago.  A bunch of us old male farts would meet once a week for breakfast.  We would gab like a bunch of old women did.  We joked about our lack of energy.  It was a politically eclectic group.  We all seemed to respect each other.  But one guy fessed up that he was thinking of getting a divorce.  He said he and and wife had lived like roommates for 20 or so years.  We all laughed and told him that’s probably a blessing at his age.  And she clearly had many activities in her life that didn’t usually include him.  But they didn’t get a divorce.  He got real sick.  She was right there for him.  She pretty much dropped the activities.  And I could tell it was rough on her but she was there.   It’s good your ex is there for you and you help her out too.  Some people care for each other but can’t live together.  So it’s good you have that.  You are lucky.

I wish you a negative test.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@gilvkona  Thanks for the post.  I'm probably oversharing when it comes to my relationship with my ex-wife, but it meant a great deal to me that we were able to get past the divorce and become friends.  

So with that I'll end the saga of the ex-wife <sounds of cheering in the background>

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for sharing that, mlott1.  Probably a lesson/reminder for us all.

Good luck and best wishes for your test.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

mlott1,

You bring a ton of humanity to this site.  Much appreciated.

And this valuable saying is new to me: "when you lose, don't lose the lesson."

Many thanks and take good care.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@GLI2019 wrote:

mlott1,

Bob

I read it a couple of times too. Source is unknown but in recent times Dalai Lama has used it. Basically, it is to learn from one's mistakes.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@GLI2019 wrote:

mlott1,

Bob

I love practical philosophy like this.  Almost a Mungerism. 

“It is totally unproductive to think the world has been unfair to you. Every tough stretch is an opportunity.”
— Charlie Munger

Another good one:

“Humility means loving the truth more than oneself.”
— Andre Comte-Sponville

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Yogi wrote:

"but in recent times Dalai Lama has used it"

That's plenty good enough for me!

Bob