cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

I have to get the Coronavirus test

Had my annual physical Thursday afternoon, and my doctor decided that I needed to be tested for the coronavirus.  Testing is done in my area on Fridays and Tuesdays.  So I called the number first thing on Friday morning, and after answering some questions, I was told to wait for a phone call, and that effective immediately I needed to self-quarantine.  Guess I'll get the phone call on Tuesday, I stayed close to the phone all day, no call.  

Because I was around my ex-wife, she also has to self-quarantine, which is a bit of an aggravation.  She's not upset about it, but now I can't use my main source for obtaining food and other essentials.  I have a very good pantry laid in, I can go for quite a while without going to the store if I need to, but I'm already running low on perishables, especially fruit.  Already made a note to buy some cans of frozen orange juice, so I can at least fall back on that if something like this happens again.

I just hope they get to me on Tuesday.

58 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: I have to get the Coronavirus test

Sorry you have been made to wait. I thought if there was suspicion testing could be done more rapidly. 

If you test positive, try to make use of delivery services.

All the best, Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Are you getting tested just as a precaution or because of symptoms?

A friend I know (around 60s), her doctor asked her to be tested and she returned negative and she was supremely unhappy.

Since she is negative, she needs to make sure she takes all the precautions to stay safe. If she was positive then she might have immunity and therefore less to worry about. :)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@mlott1 wrote:

Because I was around my ex-wife, she also has to self-quarantine, which is a bit of an aggravation.  She's not upset about it, but now I can't use my main source for obtaining food and other essentials. 

We get our groceries via Walmart Grocery delivery service. We started with Wegmans, migrated to Whole Foods. Both ran short on many items we ordered so we switched to Walmart about 5 weeks ago and have been happy with their service. Always on time, next day delivery and they have had almost everything we have ordered. They will send you a larger size free of charge if they do not have the size you order.

Stay safe

veni vidi vici vti
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

A friend went in for surgery a couple weeks ago.  As a condition of his entry to the hospital, he had to be negative which he was.  Now home, he's wondering if he was infected in the hospital.  But it has been almost 2 weeks and he has no symptons.

I'm fairly certain, if the test comes back positive, it doesn't mean you have immunity.  I don't think that is known yet.  And there are false negatives and false positives.  I have a friend who was in the Seattle area in early March.  When she came back, I have near heard anyone so sick from an upper respiratory infection.  I'm judging that by what she said and how she sounded on the phone.  She was sick for over a month.  And later on, she found out that someone she was near, had the virus.  When they finally had tests in her area, she came back negative.  She is finally over it with no hospital stay.  She is convinced she got a false negative and wonders if she is immune or not.  Only more data will tell.

Good luck to you, mlott1.  Hopefully, you have no symptoms and have nothing.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

You may already know, the test itself is a bit uncomfortable.  And good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Like Bentley pointed out, there are delivery services in our area.  Also, you can order on line with the larger stores and pick up at the door, so you don't need to go in. Better yet, send the grand kids so you can wave through the window at each other.

Holiday

Highlighted
Follower ○○○

I don't use delivery services for food or order over the internet. Took me 3 hours to complete the form, and then I had to start over. Some restaurants don't take phone orders. I have peps who go shopping for me, except for the online shopping other than food. I just make up a paper list over the course of a week. I visualize the store and the aisles and choose my groceries and household needs. Miss impulse purchases, as I like to try new items.

I've been told not to go out. Don't know how long that will last. Been quarantined for 3 months.

Tested 3 times in the last 2 months. Came out negative each time,

I don't know the cost of the test itself. There is the development, delivery by hospital staff and lab work. But with all the money (trillions) Washington is throwing around, I think that they could make the test more available. The risk is that people get the tested, it turns out negative, and they assume that they don't have to take precautions. They'll want to be tested every so often. Maybe the first test is free, and after you pay market rates, unless medically required or something like 6 months go by.

Then again, many people don't take precautions. If they get sick or worse, that is on them. But that is dangerous for innocents like their children and live-in family and other people on the front lines like medical staff.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@agitator wrote:

Tested 3 times in the last 2 months. Came out negative each time,,

I don't know the cost of the test itself. There is the development, delivery by hospital staff and lab work. But with all the money (trillions) Washington is throwing around, I think that they could make the test more available. The risk is that people get the test, it turns out negative, and they assume that they don't have to take precautions.

Just curious, but why so many tests? Also, do they test for antibodies so you can know if you have had it?

Holiday

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I live in GA. My son went on vacation with his girlfriend and lives at home with us at the moment. I made him take the COVID-19 test.  It wasn't easy to find but I finally did.  Walgreen does the test for free and you get the results within 24 hours. My son got it within 4 hours.  You need to answer several questions and then set up the appointment and show up.

See this link  https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing

Highlighted
Follower ○○○

I am auto-immune compromised, and I am constantly fighting infections. Been hospitalized four times this year.

There is so much going on with my health, I've never asked details about the testing itself. So I can't answer the technicalities of your question. The doctors do want to know which ward to put me in. The one with other patients who have tested positive, or the ones that have not.

ps. I edited the above reply after you quoted it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@mlott1 wrote:

Had my annual physical Thursday afternoon, and my doctor decided that I needed to be tested for the coronavirus.  Testing is done in my area on Fridays and Tuesdays.  So I called the number first thing on Friday morning, and after answering some questions, I was told to wait for a phone call, and that effective immediately I needed to self-quarantine.  Guess I'll get the phone call on Tuesday, I stayed close to the phone all day, no call.  

Because I was around my ex-wife, she also has to self-quarantine, which is a bit of an aggravation.  She's not upset about it, but now I can't use my main source for obtaining food and other essentials.  I have a very good pantry laid in, I can go for quite a while without going to the store if I need to, but I'm already running low on perishables, especially fruit.  Already made a note to buy some cans of frozen orange juice, so I can at least fall back on that if something like this happens again.

I just hope they get to me on Tuesday.

Best wishes, @mlott1!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

I was a bit surprised to be flagged for the test.  None of the main symptoms, I've not been running a fever at any time, and I pretty much stay in my apartment and don't have contact with many people at all.  I guess the polite way of putting it is that it is a digestive tract problem and I've been taking a lot Pepto-Bismol type pills.  And just a few days ago the ex-wife brought over some Kaopectate.  The doctor said that there had been a few positive cases where the person had those symptoms without the fever.  

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@GLI2019 wrote:

Sorry you have been made to wait. I thought if there was suspicion testing could be done more rapidly. 

If you test positive, try to make use of delivery services.

All the best, Bob

My wife found out that Walmart sends 1-million+ items for two day free delivery through FEDEX. We ordered serials, Campbell soups, Arthritis Tylenol, allergy tablets (I am surrounded by a lot of trees and grass - a lot of pollen around here), and other supplements on line. I also opened a Walmart (Capital One card) credit card last month, and the charges went to the card. This gives 5% discount on purchases for the first 12 months and then 2%.

Some items already came this morning. Some other items come from a different ware house and are expected on Monday - four days - it is ok. Wine could not be ordered because it will be store pick up. Similarly, Peanut Wafer (similar to nutty bar) is also store pick up.

This is just for your info and not a recommendation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Bentley and Nat and mlott,

Walmart has really upped its game.

It deserves to be rewarded by the market.

Bob

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@mlott1 wrote:

I was a bit surprised to be flagged for the test.  None of the main symptoms, I've not been running a fever at any time, and I pretty much stay in my apartment and don't have contact with many people at all.  I guess the polite way of putting it is that it is a digestive tract problem and I've been taking a lot Pepto-Bismol type pills.  And just a few days ago the ex-wife brought over some Kaopectate.  The doctor said that there had been a few positive cases where the person had those symptoms without the fever.  

I understand that some senators have had it without any symptom felt. Bob Casy of Penn. is one of them. It was in the news yesterday. Tim Kaine is another that I know.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@GLI2019 wrote:

Bentley and Nat and mlott,

Walmart has really upped its game.

They deserve to be rewarded by the market.

Bob

My son is has the Amazon's prime account. They used to order items in Amazon every week in Chicago. Amazon knows both addresses. So, the post office delivers Amazon boxes almost every day here in Cookeville now. Indeed, post office must be doing good business due to Amazon delivery. Even some credit cards use two addresses for me and my wife.

TIAA bank statements are also delivered here. He got some refund money from TIAA Bank today.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Our daughter was stuck outside Costa Rica for 2 months. She got home 3 days ago. Our borders are closed to all except returning LEGAL citizens and residents.

Our immigration people gave her a brief exam and a CV-19 nasal swab test. We hope to get the results tomorrow. She has to self-quarantine at home for 15 days. Supposedly if the cops catch her outside she could go to jail.

In the meantime she's isolated from us until we get a negative result or she stays in solitary confinement for 12 more days. 

I'd like to ger the antíbody test. And I WANT it to be POSITIVE. I'm SICK of not going out. When this is over I'm going to PARTY until I colapse. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Sorry to hear about this @mlott1 . I am hoping my keeping as much to myself as possible, it goes away this summer, if so, I guess it will be back next fall. Thinking about it is stressful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

mlott  --

From your post -- if I had to guess, I'd say the odds are relatively low that you have the virus.   You've obviously been living carefully but have developed a digestive bug.    MDs today live in CYA mode and routinely give out low-probability tests "just in case" so if, in the unlikely case you DO have CV, they won't have to answer embarrassing negligence questions from your lawyer.    Happens all the time -- and is one of a hundred reasons why medical care is so unreasonably expensive.

A couple of years ago I had a tiny little wart on my back. My MD actually ran a biopsy on it.    You know -- just in the thousand-to-one case.

Good luck.

Announcements