cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
     
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Re: Hobbies?


@DrVenture wrote:

I remember the solid lifter 1972 Z/28 LT-1 fondly. Arguably one of the last muscle cars of that era.


Loved that car; have vivid memories of chirping the tires at 110mph shifting from 3rd to 4th gears!  Could do 0-60mph without shifting from 1st!  And that M22 whine!  Sigh.... To be young and stupid again....

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: Hobbies?

All those years my wife and I had a large property in Bucks County along the Delaware in eastern PA, I never really had time for a hobby, what with work and maintenance, grounds care and all that goes with it.  But I always had it in my head I'd like to return to fly fishing and furniture making.

 I retired 15 years ago and slowly accumulated some basic fly fishing equipment, and had a jolly time, leaving home to wade in rivers after trout, getting back into the whole mountain stream ethos.   Now, a trout is a noble animal; reclusive, ornery, watchful and eternally suspicious -- qualities many old guys admire.  But your trout can rocket out from the shadows of a clear running stream and hit your lure like a locomotive.  And when that happens, for a few moments life is worth living.  And the wife was pleased -- instead of disgusting bait kept in her freezer, I was using lovely little artificial flies, each hand-tied by delicate teenage fingers in Thailand or India. (I tried making my own lures, but always made a hash of it.)

Problem was, on fishing trips I found I was spending more time in traffic than in streams.  Bummer

When we bought a winter home near Stuart Florida I did try the local fishing in both the bay and the ocean, but didn't much care for it as it essentially involved massive patience under a broiling sun.   Wading is discouraged here -- alligators, y'know.   

Meanwhile, I refused to permit the wife to buy a dining table for our new home.  I'd have plenty of time in Florida and I was going to MAKE one.   She thought I'd make a table similar to the one I made up north, using salvaged boards and sandblast them.  But purely by luck I came across some Florida oak slabs from a terribly twisted and tortured old-growth tree -- and it was kismet.    Match two slabs, shave them flat with a router, leaving a generous "lake" in the middle.  Pour luminous blue epoxy, then scatter some colored stones, then clear gloss epoxy on top of your lake -- brace everything together underneath --  and sand and polish forever.

Though I try to improve my skills, I have to be realistic about what I know I can't do.   Really precise work is beyond me.  I have no lathe, nor joiner tools.   But working slowly, I fill the time and achieve a kind of zen (I think!) focusing on performing one small task really well, and then on to another.   Drives the wife crazy.  Took three months to finish the table.   Now I'm working on a matching sofa table and then -- my intended masterpiece -- a matching breakfront.   The WuhanV has us trapped in Florida. I have plenty of time.

As for fishing, I'd intended to sell the Pennsylvania property and buy a summer home in the mountainous extreme northwest corner of South Carolina, near Greenville, which we've fallen in love with.  But the Wuhan has knocked the stuffing out of that plan for a while.0321202257.jpg0322201103.jpg

 

 

 

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: Hobbies?

**bleep** Richard, that is beautiful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Hobbies?


@pudman wrote:

**bleep** Richard, that is beautiful.


No kidding!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: Hobbies?

There seems to be a few of us that have had an interest in cars over the years so I thought I would share mine.

After my discharge from the USAF (after serving 4 years) in 1968, I immediately ordered a 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner using my military discount. Got married in 1969 and had to sell the Roadrunner as my wife could NOT learn to drive the stick. Purchased a 1969 Pontiac GTO convertible with an AT. In the mid 70's I found a 68 Jaguar XKE in storage with 36k. Purchased it and kept it for 3-4 years until I got an offer I couldn't refuse. During the remainder of the decade I have had a 76 Corvette, a 79 Porsche and was always looking for a Pantera, but never pulled the trigger. 

I currently own a 2001 Corvette convertible with very low mileage that I enjoy puttering with in the garage. Only put on around 1,500 miles per year. I'm sure this will be my last fun car being I'm 77 and it will probably be in my garage until I'm in the ground.

Outside of this my hobbies include attending as many of our grandkids sporting activities as possible, traveling, struggling to make good investment decisions and generally working in and around the yard. 

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Re: Hobbies?

Hi All.

Like a previous poster, I owned property (5) and that kept me busy. Now, only 2, so have more time. Back then, racing was expensive and a trophy was often "bought" with the latest and greatest. Along came bracket racing and my son runs two Cameros. Nothing special big blocks, good trans. and rear end in street class. Not the fastest, 8.0 seconds in 1/8 mile, but a 5.0 start. good grip etc. and you can win. Not expensive. So where does the "bank of dad" fit in this. My 3/8 Miller mig welder/ gas tanks. (one of my hobbies, learned how tp weld in air craft mechanics school,) and I help him. So far I have not driven, as my reaction time would probably "suck". All this is at New Oxford Dragway way in ME. I like it, no dress code, no trash talk, very polite, wives and children present.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: Hobbies?


@racqueteer wrote:

Regarding cars...  That late '60s early '70s era had some great cars!  I used to own a '72 Z28; last one with solid lifters (and maybe the M22 "rock-crusher" transmission).  I bought THAT new when they changed the styling of the Challenger .  Gary, does your '69 have the dual Holley setup?  Had a friend with one on a '68 or '69.  We used to get all the local Z28s lined up alongside Broadway (6-lane main street in Newburgh, NY); about 7-8 of them most days back then.  Good times!

Hobbies...  Different things over the years: Science always.  Fishing and baseball in my formative years.  Weightlifting in HS and college.  Tennis until my injury (with a 20-year hiatus mixed in).  Chess.  Computers from the '70s on.  Reading and surfing the Internet now.

Dr. Venture, what is your avatar; too small for these old eyes to make out, and too many cars that looked 'sorta' like that!


I have a lot of overlap with Racqueteer. My hobbies are science (still an active researcher in health sciences) and chess. Right now, the 2019 candidates tournament is going on for the right to play against Magnus Carlsen in the World Championship. Great stuff has happened already. :)

Other hobbies include hiking, sports mostly soccer (still play every now and then but mostly watching) and some gardening.    

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: Hobbies?

Hey Carlos....we have hiking in common. How about that. I’m in East Tennessee with a lot of hiking. 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: Hobbies?

My Z did not have the cross ram set up. I got way deep into the original and numbers matching world on 2 Camaro websites. Made a lot of friends when I lived in CA. In fact we set up meetings at Goodguys events. I bought mine with a non-original motor. I had to search out original parts. 

Trying to upload photo but won’t work  


@racqueteer wrote:

Regarding cars...  That late '60s early '70s era had some great cars!  I used to own a '72 Z28; last one with solid lifters (and maybe the M22 "rock-crusher" transmission).  I bought THAT new when they changed the styling of the Challenger .  Gary, does your '69 have the dual Holley setup?  Had a friend with one on a '68 or '69.  We used to get all the local Z28s lined up alongside Broadway (6-lane main street in Newburgh, NY); about 7-8 of them most days back then.  Good times!

Hobbies...  Different things over the years: Science always.  Fishing and baseball in my formative years.  Weightlifting in HS and college.  Tennis until my injury (with a 20-year hiatus mixed in).  Chess.  Computers from the '70s on.  Reading and surfing the Internet now.

Dr. Venture, what is your avatar; too small for these old eyes to make out, and too many cars that looked 'sorta' like that!


 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: Hobbies?

 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Hobbies?

Dr. Venture,

I was exposed to Tree Farming as a young kid by my grandfather, who had a Tree farm in north central Florida (east of Jacksonville). Became VERY interested in the outdoors- nature, hunting, fishing, etc. and have continued to love it since. Actually had trouble deciding whether to major in Forestry or Microbiology/ Chemistry in Undergraduate, but finally chose the double science major. Once I finished all my residency training (and paid off all my loans), I started saving and eventually was able to purchase my very own Tree Farm. 

Now love to go there, work (and have fun- hunting/ fishing, etc.). We have gradually added land over the years- now at 472 acres. Have both Pines (southern yellow pine) as well as Hardwoods of all types. Sell them for pulpwood, chip and saw, Sawtimber, and gradually doing that now. LOVE to go there!!!

Also enjoy investing, exercising (fast walking mainly- 5-7 miles/ day), learning about investments, reading (all types), and spending time with my wife. 

Win
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Re: Hobbies?

This week I'm "sheltering at home" while working remotely. There has been a crew of about 5 guys digging holes in the right of way in front of our houses. I've taken to watching this activity. It's a government job so you know how many of the 5 guys is holding a shovel. If they could only find one more shovel they might get this digging activity done in half the time they are taking. We're also only supposed to be "out" working if its an essential service. I guess digging a government hole is an essential service. 

Capital
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: Hobbies?

Very cool. 


@Win1177 wrote:

Dr. Venture,

I was exposed to Tree Farming as a young kid by my grandfather, who had a Tree farm in north central Florida (east of Jacksonville). Became VERY interested in the outdoors- nature, hunting, fishing, etc. and have continued to love it since. Actually had trouble deciding whether to major in Forestry or Microbiology/ Chemistry in Undergraduate, but finally chose the double science major. Once I finished all my residency training (and paid off all my loans), I started saving and eventually was able to purchase my very own Tree Farm. 

Now love to go there, work (and have fun- hunting/ fishing, etc.). We have gradually added land over the years- now at 472 acres. Have both Pines (southern yellow pine) as well as Hardwoods of all types. Sell them for pulpwood, chip and saw, Sawtimber, and gradually doing that now. LOVE to go there!!!

Also enjoy investing, exercising (fast walking mainly- 5-7 miles/ day), learning about investments, reading (all types), and spending time with my wife. 


 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: Hobbies?

There was a bad period when returning VN vets were dying in muscle car crashes. 
I have 10 years to catch up with you but I want a ‘vette before then  


@ironranger61 wrote:

There seems to be a few of us that have had an interest in cars over the years so I thought I would share mine.

After my discharge from the USAF (after serving 4 years) in 1968, I immediately ordered a 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner using my military discount. Got married in 1969 and had to sell the Roadrunner as my wife could NOT learn to drive the stick. Purchased a 1969 Pontiac GTO convertible with an AT. In the mid 70's I found a 68 Jaguar XKE in storage with 36k. Purchased it and kept it for 3-4 years until I got an offer I couldn't refuse. During the remainder of the decade I have had a 76 Corvette, a 79 Porsche and was always looking for a Pantera, but never pulled the trigger. 

I currently own a 2001 Corvette convertible with very low mileage that I enjoy puttering with in the garage. Only put on around 1,500 miles per year. I'm sure this will be my last fun car being I'm 77 and it will probably be in my garage until I'm in the ground.

Outside of this my hobbies include attending as many of our grandkids sporting activities as possible, traveling, struggling to make good investment decisions and generally working in and around the yard. 


 

0 Kudos
Valued Contributor

Re: Hobbies?

RichardsOK,

If you ever decide to buy that property in the Northwestern SC mountains, look me up! I grew up fishing for trout in small North GA mountain streams, and LOVE to fish for them. Used to be an avid fly fisherman, now mainly use fly rods for Bass in ponds. But loved to catch a rainbow or brook on a dry fly, that is a WONDERFUL experience! 

One of my “bucket list” things to do when I retire (less than 2 years) is get back into fishing, both bass fishing on Lake Murray (outside Columbia, SC) and trout fishing ANYWHERE. 

Win
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Hobbies?


@Capital wrote:

This week I'm "sheltering at home" while working remotely. There has been a crew of about 5 guys digging holes in the right of way in front of our houses. I've taken to watching this activity. It's a government job so you know how many of the 5 guys is holding a shovel. If they could only find one more shovel they might get this digging activity done in half the time they are taking. We're also only supposed to be "out" working if its an essential service. I guess digging a government hole is an essential service. 


Perhaps two essential services? It must eventually be filled back in!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Hobbies?


@Win1177 wrote:

Dr. Venture,

I was exposed to Tree Farming as a young kid by my grandfather, who had a Tree farm in north central Florida (east of Jacksonville). Became VERY interested in the outdoors- nature, hunting, fishing, etc. and have continued to love it since. Actually had trouble deciding whether to major in Forestry or Microbiology/ Chemistry in Undergraduate, but finally chose the double science major. Once I finished all my residency training (and paid off all my loans), I started saving and eventually was able to purchase my very own Tree Farm. 

Now love to go there, work (and have fun- hunting/ fishing, etc.). We have gradually added land over the years- now at 472 acres. Have both Pines (southern yellow pine) as well as Hardwoods of all types. Sell them for pulpwood, chip and saw, Sawtimber, and gradually doing that now. LOVE to go there!!!

Also enjoy investing, exercising (fast walking mainly- 5-7 miles/ day), learning about investments, reading (all types), and spending time with my wife. 


I had a friend who bought an entire farm in SW WI and after culling some trees, and planting some more with government funds, had basically paid for the land and house and barn from the proceeds. The seller even threw in an old non-roadworthy Jeep, which we used to cruise the property. I wish I'd had his vision!

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: Hobbies?


@DrVenture wrote:

@racqueteer wrote:
...

Dr. Venture, what is your avatar; too small for these old eyes to make out, and too many cars that looked 'sorta' like that!


The avatar is the new 2020 GT500 with 760 HP.

My 2008, as currently modified, only has a measly 640 HP! Easy enough to add another 120, but even at 640, traction is but a memory.

I remember the solid lifter 1972 Z/28 LT-1 fondly. Arguably one of the last muscle cars of that era.


My best friend has an '09 Shelby. Came stock with 500 HP, supposed to be over 600 now. Huge problem getting out of the hole. He's been looking at other cars though, I think he's tired of it.

Not really hobbies, but I currently have an '07 base Corvette; also had a '72 Vette in the early '90s. Had numerous motorcycles over the decades but sold my last one (Harley Heritage) in 2015.

FWIW: My base '07 has an advertised (and proven by others) top speed of 186. Fast enough for me, lol. I went from a motorcycle to a luxury sports car with climate control and a zillion other options. No going back at this age.

Bought a new '68 Camaro when I got out of school, also had a '70 Camaro. Had a '70 440 Six-Pack Roadrunner too.

No real hobbies though, unless one considers playing guitar, which I've been doing since the mid-'70s.

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: Hobbies?

Win1177  ---

Thanks for the invitation.   Would be great to have a fishing partner some time.  Will definitely get back to you if plans to re-settle come true.   

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.