cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valued Contributor

Hobbies?

Curious what members here may do for hobbies/relaxation/escapism?

I am always looking for new ideas, I tend to burn through hobbies relatively quickly. Last year I decided to unbox my old American Flyer trains that were made by Gilbert in the 1940's and 1950's and had been in storage for about 4 decades. They were not in running condition and some were in pretty bad shape. Over the course of about 3 months I reconditioned everything and now have two fully functional sets: a 1947 Pacific Freight steam set and a 1957 Santa Fe diesel freight set. The former was bought at a garage sale in about 1969. The latter was bought by my father when he found out that my mother was pregnant with me in late 1958.

I also like to work on cars.

What do you guys like to do?

0 Kudos
38 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Re: Hobbies?

Gardening is an obsession with me.  Everything from a few old bonsai I have had for decades to vegetables to shrubs to perennials.  Walmart opens in a few minutes for seniors and they had some beautiful Chinese fringe flower (Loropetalum chinense) last week which I did not get since I couldn't figure out where to put it - you would think 1/2 acre of gardens would be enough for one person -; now I decided to move a Mahonia which gets too much sun and replace it with the fringe flower.  Abstract painting is a winter activity as are odds and ends home repairs. 

And of course, minutia about VA history is a passion.  

https://www.gardenia.net/plant/loropetalum-chinense-ever-red

Highlighted
Explorer ○○

I enjoy figuring out what's wrong with and fixing things like my riding mower, a washer or dryer or a tool that's quit working. I have a table saw that when I turned it on it hummed and the blade turned backwards very slowly. I read up on it and found it was the motors "field" which I found online. I replaced it and the saw works fine now. I've also had to replace the bearings a couple of times or a switch etc.

I also am an amateur historian and enjoy reading things of historic content.Or on my vacations I like to look for the history of the places I visit.

I enjoy watching most any kind of sports. I play some Golf and compete in Horseshoes in the NHPA and have played in the world championships a couple of times. I practice at home most every evening weather permitting.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Me too! I am sometimes pleased when things break. Probably my longest lasting hobby. I have at various times, fixed my washing machine, dishwasher, stove, furnace, ejector pump, garage door opener, water softener, lawn tractor, humidifier, freezer, MacBook laptop, desktop computers and many, many cars.

My wife is the gardener and I am the landscaper. That works pretty good for us, we have a 1/2 acre too.

Keep 'em coming.

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Currently my primary hobbies are oil painting and cycling. I’ve been doing both for a long time. I bike commuted for many years until I retired, racking up more than 40,000 miles just riding to work over the past 10 years. I ride now with a group of friends or just by myself or my wife, several days a week. I also generally ride on a several weeklong bike tours every year.

Although I’ve painted for many years, I’ve really ramped it up since retiring three years ago. I’ve done more paintings during that period than the previous 10-15 years. I usually paint landscapes but have been trying my hand at portraits since last fall. Portrait painting is very challenging but rewarding. Unfortunately, all of my painting classes and groups have been canceled for the time being due to CV19, but I can still paint on my own. Here’s my Etsy web page if anyone is interested: TomMatherArt.etsy.com

My wife and I both love to hike and learn about nature. We visit several National Parks each year as well as state and local ones, and do a lot of hiking and photography there. We often participate in nature/science groups where we learn about the plants, animals and ecology. These too have been canceled due to CV19 but will resume at some point.

I used to do a lot of gardening, which was my main hobby for many years. However, the deer population has grown so much in our area that they eat many of the plants that I used to grow. I can no long grow a vegetable garden for that reason, as well as many ornamental plants such as hostas, day lilies and many kinds of flowers.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Golf, fishing, boating, classic cars, cooking. I also putter a lot. I am remodeling my basement to enlarge the garage and shop, while creating a craft room/granny pad next to the basement bedroom. Next up the master bath.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Do you have a classic car, Gary?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Currently a '66 El Camino in progress. Sold my '69 Z/28 last year before moving. I like 60s American iron.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Gary1952 wrote:

Currently a '66 El Camino in progress. Sold my '69 Z/28 last year before moving. I like 60s American iron. 

Absolutely two of my favorite rides! 302DZ was an exceptional motor. Buddy of mine had a black '66 El Camino w/ 283. Loved it. 1960's American iron is my category too. I'm not picky over the make or model either - GM, Ford, Mopar, love it all.

At one time I had a 1969 Ranchero 351W, 1970 'Cuda 383 Magnum, many mustangs, including my current 2008 GT500. I've upgraded the suspension, drive train, motor, sound system, exhaust. I don't do the big projects like body work or transmission internals, but will generally take on almost anything else.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Dawgie,

I viewed the first page of your paintings on Etsy - "like"! 

I am stuck in a small city apt, about a mile from the lake, a sliver of which I can see. I've been painting (watercolor) thumbnails of the lake-sky every morning, and also make one big, fast drawing a day of the alley viewable from my work table. (This started as an assignment after portfolio review day at School of the Art Institute, and I am now getting more comfortable with rendering 2-point and 3-point perspectives quickly.) Will be fun to continue as winter's bare trees start leafing out.

Otherwise I am finishing books started long ago, and wondering about making a commitment to The Count of Monte Cristo.

Still working.

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Reading non-fiction, travel, shambling around the upper Methow Valley wilderness.. Used to brew beer but the love interest didn't like the smell of brewing wort, I got lazy and craft beer became much more available here. 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

I spent a lot of money buying original parts to make the Z/28 as close to original as I could. I do assembly and some restoration. I get engine and body work done. This EC came as a roller and totally apart. It is a roller now with redone frame, suspension, rear end. and all painted. All has been updated and making it a restomod. Currently working on wiring and dash.

Chevy is my favorite but owned Ford and Dodge too. I'm thinking of using my Camaro proceeds to buy a 2020 Camaro LT1.

@DrVenture wrote:

@Gary1952 wrote:

Absolutely two of my favorite rides! 302DZ was an exceptional motor. Buddy of mine had a black '66 El Camino w/ 283. Loved it. 1960's American iron is my category too. I'm not picky over the make or model either - GM, Ford, Mopar, love it all.

At one time I had a 1969 Ranchero 351W, 1970 'Cuda 383 Magnum, many mustangs, including my current 2008 GT500. I've upgraded the suspension, drive train, motor, sound system, exhaust. I don't do the big projects like body work or transmission internals, but will generally take on almost anything else.

Cheers!

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Dawgie wrote:

Currently my primary hobbies are oil painting and cycling. I’ve been doing both for a long time. I bike commuted for many years until I retired, racking up more than 40,000 miles just riding to work over the past 10 years. I ride now with a group of friends or just by myself or my wife, several days a week. I also generally ride on a several weeklong bike tours every year.

Although I’ve painted for many years, I’ve really ramped it up since retiring three years ago. ...

I love your work! My Dad, who had an artistic bent, took up oils, watercolors, stained glass and charcoal after he retired.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Hi All.

I like to fix things and putter around. Being well over 80, I am now listening to my wife and kids to "stay off the roof", "get off that ladder" which makes puttering around more limited. Since retirement, I maintain 1.3 miles of dirt road to get to our house (with a tractor) and with my wife, we are very involved in monitoring for invasive aquatic plants in Maine. In the winter, it is a gym in SC., which is closed, so now it is this thing.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Gary1952 wrote:

I spent a lot of money buying original parts to make the Z/28 as close to original as I could. I do assembly and some restoration. I get engine and body work done. This EC came as a roller and totally apart. It is a roller now with redone frame, suspension, rear end. and all painted. All has been updated and making it a restomod. Currently working on wiring and dash.

Chevy is my favorite but owned Ford and Dodge too. I'm thinking of using my Camaro proceeds to buy a 2020 Camaro LT1.

@DrVenture wrote:

@Gary1952 wrote:

Cheers!

My opinion is that restomod is the way to go with 1960's iron, unless it is something like a Hemi 'cuda or Yenko. Better brakes, modern suspension, amenities...

I drive my cars, when it isn't raining or snowing or too cold for traction (which means less than 70 degrees!). I want them reliable and safe. The new Camaro ZL1 and other variants are simply impossible to beat, dollar for dollar. My GT500 is really old school muscle at it's core. Airbags, ABS, A/C and rudimentary traction control and that is about it.

Highlighted
Explorer ○

my hobby right now is sewing baby clothes. I am a new grandmother. Making teddy bear , clothes and made masks to donate.

also love playing mahjong. Love it!

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Vi2019 wrote:

my hobby right now is sewing baby clothes. I am a new grandmother. Making teddy bear , clothes and made masks to donate.

Congrats! And awesome on the donation angle. One of my favorite people in the whole world was an avid amateur seamstress and toy maker.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

My better half doing that now.

But we have no clue about mahjong.

@Vi2019 wrote:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Regarding cars...  That late '60s early '70s era had some great cars!  I used to own a '72 Z28; last one with solid lifters (and maybe the M22 "rock-crusher" transmission).  I bought THAT new when they changed the styling of the Challenger .  Gary, does your '69 have the dual Holley setup?  Had a friend with one on a '68 or '69.  We used to get all the local Z28s lined up alongside Broadway (6-lane main street in Newburgh, NY); about 7-8 of them most days back then.  Good times!

Hobbies...  Different things over the years: Science always.  Fishing and baseball in my formative years.  Weightlifting in HS and college.  Tennis until my injury (with a 20-year hiatus mixed in).  Chess.  Computers from the '70s on.  Reading and surfing the Internet now.

Dr. Venture, what is your avatar; too small for these old eyes to make out, and too many cars that looked 'sorta' like that!

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@racqueteer wrote:

Dr. Venture, what is your avatar; too small for these old eyes to make out, and too many cars that looked 'sorta' like that!

The avatar is the new 2020 GT500 with 760 HP.

My 2008, as currently modified, only has a measly 640 HP! Easy enough to add another 120, but even at 640, traction is but a memory.

I remember the solid lifter 1972 Z/28 LT-1 fondly. Arguably one of the last muscle cars of that era.

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.