cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Gridiron Gone ?

I'd say that, right now, the chances of having an American football season, even in some sort of truncated form, are pretty slim. Maybe only basketball, among major American sports, is more "dangerous" for Covid transmission. Football demands (literally) in-yer-face body contact and hyper breathing/expectoration. Can you imagine if an interior lineman was a super-spreader? And it will happen. Even with daily testing, preventive measures somewhat isolating all the players, it will happen just as surely as the sun rises. And that is just on the field/in the locker room. The attendance is a whole 'nother world of hurt. And autumn is supposed to be when the 2nd wave arrives. And that, too, is somewhat problematic since the USA is not even close to coming out of the first wave. And college? High school? Seriously, what parents are going to let their kids play in systems withou the resources of the NFL to monitor safety? Remember that just one underfunded, poor school without the proper safety measures or propocols will screw the pooch for everyone else. The weakest link and all that. I'll bet the football season is cancelled or reduced to some parody of the sport. Go Seahawks, Huskies, and Fighting Irish (HS and college) ! ! !

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Gridiron Gone ?

Duke has not sent out any information to basketball season ticket holders. I will not be renewing Iron Duke membership and therefore no season tickets for me. I will miss the spectacle but not willing to risk my health.

veni vidi vici vti
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

"And college? High school? Seriously, what parents are going to let their kids play in systems without the resources of the NFL to monitor safety?"

This weekend in Wichita Kansas there is a MAYB basketball tournament with 400 teams from Kansas and surrounding states. It seems crazy. Only a few teams have canceled. No common sense. Parents will be there cheering on the kids at the top of there lungs spreading whatever is in the air. The Governor attempted to slow down the spread but the wacko's in the state legislature will not back her. So I expect we are doomed like Texas.

So my wife and I are back in self isolation. We both are to have pacemakers next month. Can't count on our fellow citizens to keep us safe.

Rich

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

That is certifiably friggin' insane. Maybe this is what you get with a society - or at least a segment of society - that combines anti-science with a nutty prioritisation of athletics. Complete abdication of parental responsibility. Sheeeeeet, I say make the parents play and keep the kids at home.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

This is alarming as I have family in and near Wichita.  Thus far the state has done pretty well with COVID-19, likely due to it being less populated with disbursed communities.  I guess we will know in two weeks how bad this may be but this seems like it has potential to create havoc with public health.

I miss sports but no event is worth the risk.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Thought of this thread while watching a rerun of a Michigan-MSU men’s basketball game and saw the student section all standing and screaming.  Then, I thought the whole scene looked like a super spreader event.  And, I contemplated that it won’t be much fun to watch games without that type of energy in the arena.  

0 Kudos
Announcements