cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Coronavirus success story

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/06/look-inside-thailand-prevented-coronavirus-gainin...

Today marks 36 straight days in Thailand without a single case of Covid-19. (Excluding repatriations: Thailand has been slowly allowing citizens abroad to return, all of whom go into a high-security quarantine for 15 days. There have been a few cases each day coming mainly from Middle East countries. But no "new" cases arising from transmission from one person to another within the country.)

Total infections: 3,171. Number treated and released: 3,056.

Death toll: 58 since the beginning of the pandemic.

Country population: 70 million.

Yes, I wear a mask, I use hand sanitizer, I get my temperature checked entering shopping malls, restaurants, supermarkets, 7-Elevens, etc., and I register my entry/exit from every public place using an extremely efficient phone app. No public hearings, no hysteria, no protests, just easy, efficient compliance with common sense precautions. Life isn't back to normal yet, but it's close.

There are lessons here that people can use even if they live in other countries. From what @norbertc has written, things in Greece sound similar.

556 Replies
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: Coronavirus success story

That's great. Enjoy!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

We the US residents (as opposed to political leaders) could learn from a number of Asian countries, including Vietnam (population 100M) which did not have a single death, in-spite of it playing its part in the economic supply chain and tourism of the globe. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, well here in US we have a lot of people who feel they are invincible and have a right to do as they please.  We had a national holiday in late May and also multiple protests due to murder of George Floyd and beach goers so lots of people were in groups and not all wearing masks.  So now we are paying the price of increased infections.  

Are they doing a lot of testing there?  I am not so eager to go have someone stick a probe all the way up my nostril and hang a turn to capture a specimen. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@PaulR888 wrote:

We had a national holiday in late May and also multiple protests due to murder of George Floyd and beach goers so lots of people were in groups and not all wearing masks.  So now we are paying the price of increased infections.  

Are they doing a lot of testing there?

Many of the exposures and most of the deaths were attributable to a single event at Lumpini Boxing stadium on March 6th. Take that away, and the numbers would be even lower.

I don't know the answer on testing. I would guess there is near 100% testing of anyone symptomatic who tries to get into a public area. (If I walk into a hospital with a temperature > 37.5C, they will quarantine me whether I like it or not.) But there is probably very little testing of asymptomatic people.

@PaulR888 wrote:

I am not so eager to go have someone stick a probe all the way up my nostril and hang a turn to capture a specimen. 

I was tested prior to a surgery last month. I must admit it was quite unpleasant.

The government did shut down the economy hard (and slammed the borders shut), and it hit/hurt the country hard, with so much employment centered around food, hotels, tourism, entertainment, etc. But now we're in the last stage of a five-stage reopening plan, and things are getting back to normal, or rather, what they call the "new normal".

At one point, selling alcohol was banned for several weeks, and there was a 10PM-to-4AM curfew. I don't know if the USA could get away with that.

By and large, the people here more or less do what they're told. That might be a weakness in many situations, but I think it's a strength during a pandemic.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

The current population seems to be more hostile then the recent past. A vocal minority, the ones who always grab most of the media time, take “the land of the free and the home of the brave” seriously. Unfortunately it’s a wartime phase. Right or wrong the vocal few affect the silent majority as always. Sometimes to the detriment of all.

Instead of letting the heat maybe kill off some of the virus as happens each year with others, thousands are now hosting it through the summer carrying it into the fall to colder weather and the flu season. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Chang wrote:

"Yes, I wear a mask, I use hand sanitizer, I get my temperature checked entering shopping malls, restaurants, supermarkets, 7-Elevens, etc., and I register my entry/exit from every public place using an extremely efficient phone app. No public hearings, no hysteria, no protests, just easy, efficient compliance with common sense precautions. Life isn't back to normal yet, but it's close."

Totally exemplary, Chang.  

Bob

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I wonder what the penalty for not complying is.  Here, compliance is sporadic.  Last week at the pharmacy, none of the folks filling prescriptions were taking precautions. They either did not have a mask on at all, or it was dangling around their neck.  Today at Kroger, only about 1/3 of the employees had it on properly, the others did not have their noses covered or had the mask dangling around their neck.  In both stores, it is the second time I have had to speak with management.  The VA Dept of Labor and Industry is proposing new employment safety rules related to Covid-19, mask wearing and distancing (depending on occupation, for example a surgeon may stand next to a nurse), are just a few of the requirements.  First offenses will be considered a labor violation with a fine of over $13,000.  The fines can escalate to over $130,000 with closure after that.  

Note I am only speaking about employees not following company policy.  Perhaps I am letting them off by not complaining about  the customers not wearing masks.  In VA, the official opinion from the state Attorney General is that even if a person is exempt from wearing a mask due to a medical condition, they may be denied entry into a store, but these employees should not have to endue being beat up, spit on and in one case shot for that, so I don't complain about that.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@chang 

Kudos to Thailand people for doing the right thing and controlling the virus. 

Yes, I wear a mask, I use hand sanitizer, I get my temperature checked entering shopping malls, restaurants, supermarkets, 7-Elevens, etc., and I register my entry/exit from every public place using an extremely efficient phone app. 

For many reasons, I don't see it happening across our Country. 

Highlighted
Explorer ○○

@PaulR888 wrote:

I am not so eager to go have someone stick a probe all the way up my nostril and hang a turn to capture a specimen. 

I believe self-swabbing is the norm now, at least at mass testing sites.  You control the swab.  You only need to go 1/2 way up the nostril, twirl for a few seconds, and then hold in place for 10-15 sec.  No discomfort at all.  Easier on the person being tested, safer on the tester, and apparently just as accurate as well.

Put another way, if you have any reason for being tested, you should’t let potential discomfort keep you from doing so...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Good to hear.

Unfortunately, here is the screen shot of what it is today here (8.20 AM, Central).

Screenshot_2020-07-01 United States Coronavirus 2,730,803 Cases and 130,134 Deaths - Worldometer.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@chang wrote:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/06/look-inside-thailand-prevented-coronavirus-gainin...

Today marks 36 straight days in Thailand without a single case of Covid-19. (Excluding repatriations: Thailand has been slowly allowing citizens abroad to return, all of whom go into a high-security quarantine for 15 days. There have been a few cases each day coming mainly from Middle East countries. But no "new" cases arising from transmission from one person to another within the country.)

Total infections: 3,171. Number treated and released: 3,056.

Death toll: 58 since the beginning of the pandemic.

Country population: 70 million.

Yes, I wear a mask, I use hand sanitizer, I get my temperature checked entering shopping malls, restaurants, supermarkets, 7-Elevens, etc., and I register my entry/exit from every public place using an extremely efficient phone app. No public hearings, no hysteria, no protests, just easy, efficient compliance with common sense precautions. Life isn't back to normal yet, but it's close.

There are lessons here that people can use even if they live in other countries. From what @norbertc has written, things in Greece sound similar.

Greece is less sophisticated and has mainly succeeded by closing it's borders early on. However, there are now glass barriers in all shops and the staff is masked. Hardly anyone else wears a mask. No cases for seven weeks on Crete.

Flights from EU cities start again today.  That will create new risks.

We're flying to Paris and to Denmark very soon. Am not sure it's a bright idea, but will be as careful as possible: no metro, restaurants, etc. Always wear a mask when near others. The planes have surgery-quality air filters. 

Israel is off the menu for August: too many new cases.

Visitors from the US, UK and Sweden remain banned in Greece for now.

N.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

There are success stories everywhere; most Asia countries, and much more around us.  The approaches for success are almost identical (if not, similar) and well-known; just that those can not be adopted and practiced for U.S. completely.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Hi Chang,

The USA does have some success stories, but we also have dismal failures.  My guess is that results are erratic due to the lack of a coherent national policy response.

I do wish that we had been as successful as many Asian countries, but we have not.  That window has closed.

In all, we are still in the beginning of the pain and uncertainty phase.

Holiday

Mixed Bag.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@51hh wrote:

There are success stories everywhere; most Asia countries, and much more around us.  The approaches for success are almost identical (if not, similar) and well-known; just that those can not be adopted and practiced for U.S. completely.

Yes, Asian countries tend to be more communal and I don't mean necessarily communistic,  rather I mean they have more social comrodery and tend to see themselves as a part of a group, working together for a common goal. 

People in the West,  particularly Americans,  tend to pride themselves on individually and personal efforts.  We lack the cooperative nature so common in Asia.

We also have a more diverse and less homogeneous society and we value that diversity,  which has it's advantages,  yet when a whole society eed to come together on common ground,  we come up short.

There is currently too much division in the USA and there seems little recourse to address these matters in the midst of an epidemic!

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

"We lack the cooperative nature so common in Asia."

Exactly. People in Florida and Texas thought that they are immune to the problems in NY and NJ. Now, NY, NJ, and CT require self quarantine of the people from Florida and Texas. So, as Fauci said, that this type of thinking will lead to 100 k  cases/day in about a month - based on the number predicted by math.

We require a national czar to coordinate the activities of all states - with no exception. The lack of national leadership is very regrettable because, at the end of the day, people of all states and cities are going to be affected in some way and it will keep spreading.

Highlighted
Explorer ○○

"I believe self-swabbing is the norm now, at least at mass testing sites.  You control the swab.  You only need to go 1/2 way up the nostril, twirl for a few seconds, and then hold in place for 10-15 sec.  No discomfort at all."

Is that somehow different from what would be done if a medical person was doing it for you?

If not, it should hurt the same as if a medical person was doing it unless there was cheating involved. 

I had it done about 2 weeks ago by a medical person prior to a surgery and it was very uncomfortable. Your description doesn't sound any different than what they did.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Chang, good news indeed. If, in October, Japan is still not letting in Americans (even those with permanent residency), I will be looking for a bolt hole to overwinter other than the mountains of the North Cascades. Hopefully, Thailand (or Malaysia) will be an option.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Got kids and grandkids in TX and FL. Sux.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@GLI2019 wrote:

Got kids and grandkids in TX and FL. Sux.

Bob

I recall that one of your former collegues (in East Lansing) once claimed back in March that it is 600 miles away in NY and not a problem for him then. Suddenly, this "sux" for everybody now.

Our state count suddenly jumped more than 2000 today. The rate keeps increasing and the slope is going up not only in the state but also in my county. The rate of the death counts has also gone up in the last 10 days. They are still updating the data. Poor folks that they could not keep up because the data collection has become a daunting job.

0 Kudos
Announcements