cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Companies with IT/Back Office/Call Center Operations in India

Through relatives and friends, I am hearing that due to evolving conditions in India, many IT, back office and call center facilities in India are shutting down.

This will obviously affect US [and global] companies that have such operations in India.

YBB
9 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Companies with IT/Back Office/Call Center Operations in India

@yogibearbull wrote:

Through relatives and friends, I am hearing that due to evolving conditions in India, many IT, back office and call center facilities in India are shutting down.

This will obviously affect US [and global] companies that have such operations in India.

Are you suggesting that Kevin from tech support lives in India?...............:))

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Jake from State Farm??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@yogibearbull wrote:

All thirty((30) states and union territories are under lock down.

States go all out to control coronavirus spread in India

Some states have locked down cities and districts also. The state where I grew up has locked down all the districts also. Besides, only essential goods and services will be transported because all public transportation have been cancelled and only essential services vehicles can operate with the permission of the police. Some states and cities have issued prohibitory orders (called 144 - old British law but still in the books) . Violators can be arrested and jailed without any cause under this law. All these are already in effect from midnight there (mid day today here).
I cannot provide all the links because some of them are in my mother tongue.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I noticed .NSCI was down 13% last night, and was wondering if such a steep loss was Covid-19 related.

Guess I know now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@yogibearbull wrote:

Nationwide lockdown in India for 21 days.   https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/coronavirus-in-india-live-updates-pm-modi-to-address-the-n...

Summary Details   https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/coronavirus-outbreak-prime-minister-narendra-modi-says-every-indian-...

The law and order in India is the state-controlled. My understanding is that all states have issued orders under the 144 rule uponr the request of Modi. If the state government does not follow his "request," Modi can dismiss the government and can bring the state under his control.  Some states are taking it a little far. Under 144, no more than four people can assemble. Some states are ordering that no one should come out of the house. If they do, they could be arrested.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

As we speak, I am living a nightmare trying to purchase some technical equipment to establish a Chromebook account and also use it to test a MoCa Ethernet network over our existing cable TV co-ax wire so that we can switch from a cable to a fiber provider. Savings in the $750/year range.

I placed orders at Amazon and tweaked them to insure that all items were in stock expecting several day delivery. Some minor Amazon items will be mailed in a few days. The actual Chromebook will, hopefully, be supplied by a non-Amazon provider and actually shipped like in an hour or 2. At least that is what they said. Other critical items that are in stock came back with a 30 day delivery!!!!!   :-(((

I was on the phone for hours waiting or requesting call backs. Initially, a non-US (Indian?) support person was unsuccessfully working the delivery , paused and just HUNG UP on me!!! That is in my experience the normal action for foreign, support people when they cannot figure it out - no second level support. This must not count against them since they have answered and were helping. Excuse: "Phone problems!!!". As I understand and as I have done, we are entitled to request an English speaking, US support contact. Sometimes this works. Sometimes it does not.

I am learning a lot about places other than Amazon where I can source the items I need - Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Radio Shack, New Egg, Home Depot (!!!!). My advice is to stay as far from phone or other support as possible - lots of overworked, under trained, disinterested, generally useless support people there. Find another place, even if more expensive, to buy right now!   :-(((

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

All centers in India have been closed for various reasons because some of the scammers also established such call centers? They have all folded now. However, some trained and well-established centers still operate from there. But they are not working today and for the next three weeks, may be extended. People should adopt to the modern world and should change their mind set. Old tech does not work anymore and is useless now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

@ECEPROF wrote:

All centers in India have been closed for various reasons because some of the scammers also established such call centers? They have all folded now. However, some trained and well-established centers still operate from there. But they are not working today and for the next three weeks, may be extended. People should adopt to the modern world and should change their mind set. Old tech does not work anymore and is useless now.

What old tech, Nat???

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.