cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○

COVID-19 worldometers data

If you want numbers …. see  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

“ Worldometer is run by an international team of developers, researchers, and volunteers with the goal of making world statistics available in a thought-provoking and time relevant format to a wide audience around the world. Worldometer is owned by Dadax, an independent company. We have no political, governmental, or corporate affiliation  ….  Worldometer was voted as one of the best free reference websites by the American Library Association (ALA), the oldest and largest library association in the world. “

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Participant ○

Re: COVID-19 worldometers data

Thanks for sharing.   The German's are doing something right - 0.4% death rate.  New Zealand did a great job too; while Australia were bone headed like us and are losing control.  May be it is time for us to have a female President. 

The Japanese with half as many people as we have got this under control with minimum damage and they did not have to shut down Tokyo.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Czechia has about 1,000 cases with zero deaths so far, and less than 10 serious cases. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

The rate of new cases and deaths is still increasing.

There may be different strains of the virus in various locations, perhaps explaining the diverging mortality rates.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Norbie, o-kaeri! Glad to see you are back and well. How was the Mediterranean? Given his Herculean and inspiring efforts over the weeks while you were gone I now have to agree with you that your man POTUS has managed the American crisis response brilliantly, masterfully and most importantly factually and calmly. I was wrong to ever doubt him, and you. We have found our Churchill. Now I have to go wash my face and not touch my hands.

Anitya, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the Japan numbers. There is common assumption that the government is cookin' the books and not testing to save the Olympics and not let all that bribe money go to waste. When the Games are inevitably cancelled and there is no reason to continue the charade I'd expect the testing and numbers to soar. Also cherry blossoms come out in a week or so and with them the unending parties under the trees throughout the country. Something you have to see to believe. A virus' heavenly, paradisical dream of crowded humanity drinkin, eating and infecting. 

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2020/03/21/commentary/japan-commentary/japan-still-coronavirus-...

Highlighted
Explorer ○

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

@fpajerski wrote:

If you want numbers …. see  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Thanks for that Fpajerski.

Would it be fair to assume the market will continue lower until the number of cases level off?  Or would you guess the market might start to settle out and rise before that, when the curve starts to level off?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

@norbertc wrote:

The rate of new cases and deaths is still increasing.

There may be different strains of the virus in various locations, perhaps explaining the diverging mortality rates.

I think there may be a difference in viral interaction with its host?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Total deaths as a percentage of total cases is widely differing (1%-8%) in the first top ten, but this may have something to do with where each country is on the curve. Curiously, San Marino seems to have had more deaths than cases. I'm guessing if you have less than a million population the numbers get distorted. New cases is probably the number to watch. The other aspect to this is the path the virus took. Most cases have occurred in western countries, so the assumption is they either had direct contact with Wuhan and/or came into secondary contact with those who had direct contact. In Milan, we know the textile industry partners with China. Similar stories with the US and Europe generally. S Korea is a neighbor, but Iran is an odd case as it is isolated from sanctions, so obviously it ramped up trade with China as a result of sanctions. Russia, though seems relatively unaffected.

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.