Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

CDC director says masks more guaranteed to work than a vaccine

0 Kudos
28 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Re: CDC director says masks more guaranteed to work than a vaccine

I have heard Fauci say the same thing about the effectiveness of a vaccine.  It probably will provide protection for something like 60% to 70% of those that get it.  Then consider that the last survey I saw (about three weeks ago) indicated that approximately 30% would refuse to get it.  This percentage will probably be higher early on, especially if people feel corners are being cut on safety for political reasons.  (I'm no anti-vaccer by any stretch of the imagination, but I would be leery about getting one that was approved before the election.)  On top of all that there will be a significant portion of the population that refuses to wear masks and social distance.  The ways things look this won't be under control in the US for years.  It's pretty frustrating.  This could be going so much better.   

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@OpenMind wrote:

I'm no anti-vaccer by any stretch of the imagination, but I would be leery about getting one that was approved before the election.  

Why?  Aren't they going through the same testing procedures as all of the other vaccines? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

This statement sounds a bit like a disguised disclaimer. 'Masks may be safer than a vaccine we don't have yet and are rushing through' sounds more accurate.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

We know that masks work. The problem is that masks have been politicized by _____ (fill in the blank) and few people, especially in the southern part of the country, use them. We know also that an effective vaccine will work in containing COVID for good, but its potential approval has also been politicized by _____ (fill in the blank) and lack of safety is going to be a concern for many, including me. 

In the meantime, we keep setting world records with over 6.8 Mi of COVID cases and 200K COVID deaths (LINK) and, making things worse, the flu season is around the corner. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I agree with @OpenMind . Until Dr. Fauci says "Yes, go ahead," I will not even go to my PCP on this issue even though I like him but he is also business minded besides being my PCP. Here is the latest news on the virus story. I expected the number 200k on Sep. 18 but it is already exceeded.

ECEPROF_0-1600284089159.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Wash your hands.

Social distance, especially from people you don't know. 

Do you really think Pfizer is going to risk their reputation for political advantage? Good lord people.

If a vaccine gets approved, I expect that it has passed significant protocols. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

One has to put faith in something  ,so if the vaccine is 50% effective, I'm going to get it and start going out more. One can also get sick from sitting around at home.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Just to be absolutely sure we’re all sane here, is everyone taking zinc and vitamin D? If not, you must be nuts.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

There you go again. You say things with no knowledge. The majority of people in my area (the south) wear masks. Come and visit.

@CarlosDS wrote:

We know that masks work. The problem is that masks have been politicized by everyone (fill in the blank) and few people, especially in the southern part of the country.........

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

While the majority of people wear masks, many don't wear them properly.  Where I live, the most egregious violators are employees in Kroger.  Walmart is pretty good, Publix is pretty good, but some Krogers are ridiculous.  Its not that they aren't wearing a mask, but that they either wear it around their neck or they leave their nose exposed.  Despite repeated requests to management and even the CEO going on TV and saying how serious they take the issue, the violations continue.   In VA, we have an online form to report violations.  Its public information in VA; in some media markets in the state, the list has been requested and released, that's yet to be done in the media market area where I live.  To date, only one business has been shut down due to repeated, over 60, violations. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

You all have it wrong.  Masks don’t work.  And we will have a vaccine in less than 6 weeks.  Why are you worrying?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@gilvkona wrote:

You all have it wrong.  Masks don’t work.  And we will have a vaccine in less than 6 weeks.  Why are you worrying?

Yeah right. And we have the best response in the (lalaland) world with few cases and almost no deaths. 

Use your mask, follow your doctor's advice, listen to science, and stay out of crowded places, including political rallies. Your grandkids will be thankful for that. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

FDA will approve a vaccine that is 50% effective.  Effectiveness of masks, social distancing, hand washing, etc. is higher than 50% when done properly and by everyone, but that is not happening. I doubt Pfizer or Astra-Zeneca or J&J would risk releasing an inadequately tested vaccine, but I'm not willing to bet on that proposition.  Given the political interference in the CDC and FDA and NIH during this administration, I am not willing to take their word that a vaccine is OK, but want to look at the data myself, and see what the Europeans, Canadians, and Australians are saying and doing. Even less trust in small new corporations, where the CEO may well decide the value of his stock options matters more than anything else - and rush to release an inadequately tested vaccine.  

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Moderna has released its 135 page vaccine study protocol. That should force the others in the race to release their protocols too - a good thing.  I will be more likely trust their results when they report them.  They are aiming for a 60% effectiveness rate to declare the vaccine a success.  Seems unlikely they will do even the first interim analysis by Thanksgiving.  I think Moderna were the quickest off the blocks in the US. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

My 5 cents.

I am a retired physician in Costa Rica. I'm also a high risk patient in a country who will quickly run out of ICU beds. We also have a serious shortage of ICU physicians.

I hope we don't get heart attacks or strokes. We will die on the street.

My wife and I follow the basic old school protocols (wash hands and face, use masks and social distancing).

Regarding the vaccine. Remember Covid19 is a very nasty COMMON COLD virus. To my knowledge there has never been an effecive vaccine for the common cold. Too difficult.

We get the Flu (influenza) vaccine every year. It cuts our flu frequency by 50%. No reduction for the common cold.

We WILL get the Covid19 vaccine when it becomes available. We will also follow the protocols. 

You can REDUCE the risk of contageon. You cannot eliminate it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Oh well, I guess retiring to Costa Rica is out of the question.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@SJ60 wrote:

<snip>

Given the political interference in the CDC and FDA and NIH during this administration, I am not willing to take their word that a vaccine is OK, but want to look at the data myself, and see what the Europeans, Canadians, and Australians are saying and doing. Even less trust in small new corporations, where the CEO may well decide the value of his stock options matters more than anything else - and rush to release an inadequately tested vaccine.  

It's unfortunate that the coronavirus pandemic has become so politicized.
There are currently three Phase 3 trials in the U.S. and six Phase 3 trials held elsewhere.
I will wait a while after the first vaccine candidate is approved before getting vaccinated.
The first approved vaccine may not be the most effective.
In the meantime, I will continue to wear a mask in public places, practice social distancing, and wash my hands frequently.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

"Very nasty common cold," eh?

Cite your evidence.

My physician differentiates between the common cold, flu, and covid-19. 

I'll take his advice, thank you.

Bob

Highlighted
Contributor ○

Do you wear masks when talking to your neighbors too?

I believe recommendations is to use mask with anyone not living in your house. But I notice people are getting tired and careless now

It has been 6 months.

Any news on progress of vaccine?

0 Kudos
Announcements