cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: Books you're reading

Just finished "Flash Crash: A Trading Savant, A Global Manhunt, and the Most Mysterious Market Crash in History", by Liam Vaughn.  An interesting book, but I got left behind in the second half when the author had to start being more specific about what had been done by a lone trader working from his bedroom in his parents house (part of the time).  The main character, who goes by the name "Nav" was an incredibly good day trader who didn't know when to quit, or even slow down.  \

Even after reading the book, it's hard to believe that one person was able to mess with our financial system like he did.  

I suspect that the people who are more computer literate than me, and certainly the ones who do any trading in and out of various markets, will be able to relate to this book better than me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Ah. Summer is here. I have John Sandford's latest adventures of Lucas Davenport, Masked Prey, in hard cover. That's like a one evening read. On my Kindle is Scott's Turow's latest court room novel, The Last Trial.

Good grief. Picked up an old AListar Maclean novel, Night Without End,  and enjoyed the his knack for writing. Checked out Ice Station Zebra.  My wife told me, "Where you been?" She read all his books in the summer of 67 when she was 16. . 

I avoid non-fiction.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@DocWu  I'm a big fan of John Sandford ever since I read one of his later Lucas Davenport novels about three or four years ago.  Love his books.  I'll have to make sure that I have the new book, Masked Prey, on request at the library.  His books are a quick read for me, too.  I also like his Virgil Flowers series of books.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@mlott1 wrote:

@DocWu  I'm a big fan of John Sandford ever since I read one of his later Lucas Davenport novels about three or four years ago.  Love his books.  I'll have to make sure that I have the new book, Masked Prey, on request at the library.  His books are a quick read for me, too.  I also like his Virgil Flowers series of books.

Agree; one of my favorites as well, and Masked Prey is a good novel from him!  His stuff reminds me a lot of the Stone Barrington series by Stuart Woods.  Similarly good character development and enough books in the series that the characters seem real to me!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Regarding the John Sandford books, the first one I read was "Golden Prey" and I was amazed at how good it was.  I went back (through the local branch of the public library) and read the whole series in order, and somewhere in there I got hold of the Virgil Flowers novels and read them, too.  He also had a short run series of about four books, and I thought those were OK, but not as good as Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers.  Anyway, I do have "Masked Prey" on request from the library.

In the Lucas Davenport books, I would like to see him bring out their adopted daughter, although maybe he is holding her back as a secret weapon.  I could easily see a whole series with her as the lead character.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

A good re-read......Sexual Awareness A Practical Approach by McCarthy, Ryan and Johnson  Boyd and Fraser Publishing Company.

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Last year I read a stand-alone novella written by Stephen King and Richard Chizmar, which I thought was OK but that was about it, titled "Gwendy's Button Box".  Apparently this is some sort of novella trilogy, at least I remember reading somewhere that was the plan.  The second book, "Gwendy's Magic Feather" came out a while back, with Richard Chizmar as sole author.  I just finished it, and it was flatter than the first book.  I bought it a few months back, got about halfway through it, and set it aside.  Got tired of looking at it on the bookshelf, so I took it down earlier today and finished it.  At this rate, I'll just be reading the final novella to see if it all makes sense at the end, because right now, the story is not adding up to anything.  

This is a very strange literary venture...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I might have missed a previous mention, but Tess Gerritson's GRAVITY is one I'm reading today, and I'm enjoying it very much.  It's shaping up a bit to into being a little conspiracy theory-ish, but not, unfortunately, ouside the realm of plausibility.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

SPQR by Mary Beard. Excellent stuff. Just finished Nemesis by Max Hastings again and Logic of Life.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Robert Stone’s ‘A Flag For Sunrise,’ one I have read before but it drew me back in.  It feels a bit dated now but the man could write and tell a story.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Greg Bear's VITALS; genomic science mixed with action!  A good read...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

I just finished reading the first 3 books of the - Dragonriders of Pern Series.

What a fantastic series from the 60s and 70s and still feels amazingly contemporary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonriders_of_Pern

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Crowds and Power (Canetti, Nobel)

0 Kudos
Announcements