cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Toadfish
Explorer ○

Books you're reading

What are you people reading these days?  Anything new and good that you've found recently?

133 Replies
waffle
Explorer ○

Re: Books you're reading

I am listening to audio version an somewhat older book - Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari. I learned a lot. It is quite fascinating.

0 Kudos
pudman
Explorer ○○

Waffle, I read that. Good stuff. Reading Marooned about Jamestown now and will start White Trash when finished.

0 Kudos
Bruzer
Participant ○○○

@waffle wrote:

I am listening to audio version an somewhat older book - Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari. I learned a lot. It is quite fascinating.

No kidding? I just recently bought that book, am on about page 40.

I agree, fascinating. I've been interested in this stuff all my life, but never found a book quite like this.

0 Kudos
JohnSmith
Explorer ○

0 Kudos
Bizman
Explorer ○○○

Not a book, but these 2 links are the most meaningful and interesting things I've read in a long time.  Mr. Mills pushes back on the euphoria about batteries and renewables taking over from hydrocarbons any time soon, based on the principles of physics.  Very contrarian.  Anyone who thinks climate change is an existential threat that isn't in favor of a mass program of building nuclear power plants is simply not serious about replacing hydrocarbons without foundational scientific discoveries that go well beyond the renewable and battery technologies of today.

He certainly doesn't seem like a crackpot given his physics and engineering background, and his resume.

Want an Energy Revolution?
It won’t come from renewables—which can never supply all the power we need—but from foundational scientific discoveries

https://www.city-journal.org/next-energy-revolution

THE “NEW ENERGY ECONOMY”:
AN EXERCISE IN MAGICAL THINKING
Mark P. Mills

https://media4.manhattan-institute.org/sites/default/files/R-0319-MM.pdf

0 Kudos
Toadfish
Explorer ○

Looks like there's not a lot of readers on here...

0 Kudos
Bruzer
Participant ○○○

@Toadfish wrote:

Eh, maybe they've never noticed this thread . . . ?

Another interesting book (especially for cancer survivors) I recently read is Breakthrough: Immunotherapy and the Race to Cure Cancer, published last year, so very up-to-date.

It's a bit heady, but interesting anyway.

0 Kudos
racqueteer
Participant ○○○

@Toadfish wrote:

One of the problems is that by the time I write about what I'm reading, I'm already into the next book!  There was a thread awhile back which was about books we enjoyed; THAT was a more active thread!  Taking the op literally (currently reading) is a limitation.  Plus, I read mostly science, science fiction, mysteries, espionage, and crime novels.  It helps to know in which genre to better inform others of what I enjoy(ed).

0 Kudos
Mustang
Explorer ○○○

I usually read science fiction or mysteries but I'm currently reading outdoor humor.  It a collection of fishing and hunting articles from Spaulding Outdoors, a syndicated column.  Jack Spaulding's writing style always make me laugh.

0 Kudos
rubirosa
Explorer ○○

“West of Sunset” by Stewart O’Nan and “College of One” by Sheilah Graham

The focus of these two books is the love-hate relationship between F. Scott Fitzgerald and Sheilah Graham during the last 3 ½ years of his life. Both books recall the Golden Age of Hollywood.

The comely 27-year-old Sheilah is there competing with gossip columnists Louella Parsons and Hedda Hopper. Scott has whiskeyed away his talent and has become a rewrite hack for L.B. Mayer at MGM. He’s only 39.

O’Nan’s richly-imagined novel about the self-destruction of a gifted writer can be painful, even heartbreaking. Don’t go there looking for the Fitzgeralds in their prime, partying at Cap d’ Antibes with Sarah and Gerald Murphy, Cole Porter, Dorothy Parker, Picasso, Hemingway, Dos Passos, et al. No Jazz Age glamor here. That was all THEN; this is NOW. Scott is sick and broke, living on six-week gigs in rundown apartments. The world has broken his heart.

Sheilah’s memoir, “College of One,” tells the Dickensian tale of a plucky East End waif who worked her way out of the slums to become a fashionable and sought-after gossipmonger read by millions of people worldwide. For all her success, her deepest fear was that sooner or later people would catch on to her lack of education. FSF took on the job of tutoring her through a curriculum of his own design centered on poetry, history, art, and music. Some Latin. No math or science. There’s a poignant afterword by Graham’s daughter, Wendy Fairey, who was born several years after FSF’s death.

Both stories are sure-footed and well-told. Interesting people. Interesting times.

AKA recoveringdprof and rubirosa.
0 Kudos
pudman
Explorer ○○

Somewhat off topic but the worst book not written by Ayn Rand, Dan Brown or called the Celestine Prophecy is Shantaram. People rave about its life changing effect on them but it is probably the most awful thing I have ever read.

0 Kudos
Exactduke
Explorer ○

I've caught the Civil War bug.  General Meade is what I'm reading now.  

0 Kudos
pudman
Explorer ○○

Dropped White Trash halfway through and have started The Road to Guilford Courthouse by John Buchanan. Good so far.

0 Kudos
EdwardS
Follower ○○

I got around reading Tom Perkins' autobiography "Valley Boy" about 12yrs after it was first released. I loved him in "Something Ventured. Very cool guy.

0 Kudos
astrokng
Explorer ○○○

My preferences are biography and history. 

So I'm currently reading Churchill: Walking with Destiny. Wonderful reading. Very interesting life. Boar War. World War I and II. I haven't finished it so I can't lay out the milestones that are next. The chapter I'm on goes through June 1944. So that should be exciting. 

Previously read Napoleon: A Life, and Destiny and Power, the G.H.W. Bush biography written by John Meacham who gave that stirring eulogy at the funeral. 

Our current politics and history are so slanted that I need to go back to find individuals and events and authors who limit their beating of the drums of their opinions. I wasn't a Bush supporter when he was President. But I greatly appreciate his perspective on finding  common ground and decisions based on the greater good than for political gain. It's sad that we may never get back to that attitude again. 

Anyway, these are good books on three interesting men. 

0 Kudos
youth
Explorer ○○○

Re-reading Die Broke.  

Gabe

0 Kudos
retiredat48
Participant ○○

@waffle wrote:

Thanks waffle for heads-up.  I researched it a little, and have it on order/paperback.

R48 ..... (was R1 at the beginning of homo-sapiens!)

0 Kudos
rubirosa
Explorer ○○

The life of an English professor. Humor, pathos, brutal honesty. A rare read!

https://www.amazon.com/Dear-Committee-Members-Julie-Schumacher/dp/0345807332/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=dea...

0 Kudos
rubirosa
Explorer ○○

And the sequel, which I am now reading

https://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Requirement-Novel-Julie-Schumacher/dp/0385542348/ref=pd_bxgy_14_2...

0 Kudos
Announcements

To learn more about the recent changes to Morningstar.com, please see the updated FAQ.

See recent posts and all our forums or access the old forums here.

You can read the community guidelines in