cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: Bill, Holiday, Ryan, data source

@RyanM wrote:

You have to admit "snowflake" is often used in political debates to denigrate liberals.

That is certainly true.  And I think we would all agree that it is not necessary to use “snowflake” to denigrate liberals.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@cliff wrote:

@RyanM wrote:

You have to admit "snowflake" is often used in political debates to denigrate liberals.

That is certainly true.  And I think we would all agree that it is not necessary to use “snowflake” to denigrate liberals.

Twud be truly denigratious AND political to refer to anyone as a 'snowflake democrat'.  After all, there is the moderate/liberal wing of the GOP as well, often denigrated as 'snowflake RINOs'.

In either case, I am neither a registered democrat or a registered republican but a registered Libertarian and have been for some time now.

Just for the record.

ElLobo, de la casa de la toro caca grande
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@ElLobo wrote:

@bilperk wrote:

El, I have no interest in re-engaging on this topic.  I believe any discussion of politics or the virus should now be off limits.  This place is to discuss investments.  It is seemingly impossible to discuss politics, religion, or the virus without it devolving into personal attacks.  While I can give as well as I take, it is a big turn off to many.  Enjoy your day.

Interesting.  Why now, Bill?  Why not a few weeks ago, whenever I first suggested it.  Ifn you don't want to discuss either, stop posting!  See you on Facebook, my friend!  8-))

Could be the Re: Bill had something to do with it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

More as PN described. Not used correctly for mature self-assured, as say @bilperk  is.

PN wrote: "Snowflake
A term for someone that thinks they are unique and special, but really are not. It gained popularity after the movie "Fight Club" from the quote “You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

Began being used extensively as a putdown for someone, usually on the political left, who is easily offended or felt they needed a "safe space" away from the harsh realities of the world, but now has morphed into a general putdown for anyone that complains about any subject.

Comedians have a hard time performing on college campuses anymore because of all the little snowflakes running around that get offended by just about anything they say.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Snowflake"

@RyanM wrote:

FWIW, I didn't think you were talking about me. (Incidentally, I fall within the microgreneration between Gen X and Millennial, which some have termed Xellennial.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@cliff wrote:

@bilperk wrote:

This place is to discuss investments.  

May I respectfully suggest you read Morningstar’s intro to the off-topic forum.

May I respectfully point you to that intro where it says : " Please refrain from discussing politics."   And the general rules do not allow personal attacks.  If you had read the deleted thread, you would have seen a lot of politics and some personal attacks.  I was called stupid.  You may agree, but so far you have refrained from actually writing it.  As Ryan clearly pointed out "the off-topic forum is not a free for all.  My comment about investing was to suggest that the vast bulk of posts on M* should be about investing.  But this is a good place to discuss your firing of Carlos and replacing him with Gerry to clean your pool.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@PN wrote:
A term for someone that thinks they are unique and special, but really are not. It gained popularity after the movie "Fight Club" from the quote “You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

Began being used extensively as a putdown for someone, usually on the political left, who is easily offended or felt they needed a "safe space" away from the harsh realities of the world, but now has morphed into a general putdown for anyone that complains about any subject.

Comedians have a hard time performing on college campuses anymore because of all the little snowflakes running around that get offended by just about anything they say.

Also from Urban Dictionary, specific reference same as above, credit fully given, ipso facto, E Pluribus Unum:

"2

A very sensitive person. Someone who is easily hurt or offended by the statements or actions of others.

This has nothing to do with politics. Snowflakes can be liberal or conservative. Whether it is a compliment or an insult is a matter of opinion and depends on the context.
Don't criticize Jane for what she did. She's a snowflake and you'll only upset her.
by TampaRay April 04, 2017"

"3
A clueless and conceited college student that cannot handle critical thinking from others. In other words, a deluded jerk.
Snowflakes are deluded into thinking that they are without question, entitled to preferential treatment.
by Gleeful April 06, 2017"

"4
A term used to describe extremist liberals that get offended by every statement and/or belief that doesn't exactly match their own. These individuals think they are just as "unique" as snowflakes, when really their feelings are just as fragile.
"Congratulations! Its a boy!"
"Did you just assume that babies gender?"
"Someone get the snowflake out of here, please".
by Anna_Rutherford April 28, 2017"

"5
A flake that is mostly made of snow.
Many flakes of snow can be fashioned into a ball of snow,
A snowman is mostly made of snowflakes.
by rusty ringpiece January 06, 2017"

"6
A flake of that white stuff that comes out of the sky in the winter.
A snowflake just landed on your nose.
by Stephanie MH July 28, 2005"

"7
An extremely fragile individual -often, but not always associated with millennial's. Someone who has never faced any real adversity in life and therefore is easily traumatized by anything out of the ordinary or anything contradictory to their narrow views. They've been shielded from views and perspective that persuade right of center and have been immersed in liberal propaganda in the schools and from the media. They think they are very intelligent and gifted -because their mothers, teachers and left-leaning individuals have told them so their whole lives.
All the snowflakes were curled-up in a ball on the floor, crying, when they learned Trump had won the election.
by Tranquility Base April 19, 2017"

As they say, if the fu s***s, wear it like a man/woman.
As my Mom used to say, however, "It takes one to know one."

"And that's all I want to say about that!"  -  Forrust Gump
"And now you know the rest of the story!" - Paul Harvey
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Hi. I will attempt to stay away from the name calling. Ryan wants this site to concern itself to financial matters. Well, this virus is very concerning to the financial status of us in ME, supposedly the most vulnerable of the 50. Our infection rate is very low, but once the vacation season hits, this state will be a good indicator of what happens when social distancing is no longer practiced. I would like to enjoy what we have to offer, but will probably refrain from doing so based on the behavior at these locations taking place in the past. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@bilperk wrote:

@cliff wrote:

@bilperk wrote:

This place is to discuss investments.  

May I respectfully suggest you read Morningstar’s intro to the off-topic forum.

May I respectfully point you to that intro where it says : " Please refrain from discussing politics."   And the general rules do not allow personal attacks.  If you had read the deleted thread, you would have seen a lot of politics and some personal attacks.  I was called stupid.  You may agree, but so far you have refrained from actually writing it.  As Ryan clearly pointed out "the off-topic forum is not a free for all.  My comment about investing was to suggest that the vast bulk of posts on M* should be about investing.  But this is a good place to discuss your firing of Carlos and replacing him with Gerry to clean your pool.  

As I recall the deleted thread, the first 'attack' was on me, from academic.  Whenever I asked him about it, YOU replied using attack mode rheotoric and it was you and I that went back and forth with the 'attacks'.  The remaining posters were respectful that the thread itself did NOT give or discuss ANY implications of the data I presented, only the accuracy and the proper source of the figure.  And I think I even tagged Ryan that one of the usual political pundits had crossed the line and Ryan, as appropriate, gave him a 48 hour timeout.

As Ryan has stated, he doesn't want to read each and every posting on each and every thread to determine if and when anyone 'crosses the line' and he has to take action.  The process is that anyone can so tag Ryan to file a complaint and, if appropriate, take care of things.

In the alternate, ifn nobody does so tag, there is no expectation that anyone DID cross a line, a line written in sand, so to speak.  Megga ditto for some other snowflake that cries Wolfe too often!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Why is ME so vulnerable?

@NuEnglander wrote:

Hi. I will attempt to stay away from the name calling. Ryan wants this site to concern itself to financial matters. Well, this virus is very concerning to the financial status of us in ME, supposedly the most vulnerable of the 50. Our infection rate is very low, but once the vacation season hits, this state will be a good indicator of what happens when social distancing is no longer practiced. I would like to enjoy what we have to offer, but will probably refrain from doing so based on the behavior at these locations taking place in the past. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Mustang wrote:

@ElLobo 

I see you are picking a fight again.  .......

On a side note, I worked with Boeing Military Aircraft Company when I was in the Air Force as part of the KC-135 Re-engine Program.  The CFM56 engine finally allowed the KC-135 (a tanker aircraft) to take off with a full load.  It was a great modification and the aircraft is still flying today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_KC-135_Stratotanker

Finally, a subject worth discussing. First of all, thank you for your service. I was fortunate to have flown the 135 all over the world. The A, the E, and the R. I agree the modification added years to the airframe and expanded capabilities saving the US billions of dollars in replacement aircraft. Nice work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Thank you.  Were you ever at Castle before it closed?  I was assigned to Castle when I returned from Thailand (1972-1973) where I worked on B-52s and KC-135As.  I think that is why they assigned me to the KC-135R Program when I graduated from OTS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@bilperk wrote:

I was called stupid.  You may agree, but so far you have refrained from actually writing it.  

Bill, I believe we have both assiduously adhered to the bargain we struck a long time ago.  Back then, you agreed to not call me stupid because I invested in Vector Group and I agreed to not call you stupid for saying that dividends are irrelevant.  That continues to work for me.

Speaking of Vector Group, maybe I should start another VGR discussion.  Although total return as traditionally defined doesn't have much meaning for me, I notice that the 12-month total return for VGR is 40.9% --  25.2% due to unrealized appreciation and 15.7% due to hard cash paid to investors.  This observation is not a recommendation for you, though.  The easy money has already been made here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Mustang wrote:

Thank you.  Were you ever at Castle before it closed?  I was assigned to Castle when I returned from Thailand (1972-1973) where I worked on B-52s and KC-135As.  I think that is why they assigned me to the KC-135R Program when I graduated from OTS.

I, too, was a ninety-day wonder who spent some time in Thailand at U-Tapao. I went through initial 135 training at Castle and returned a few years later for an Advanced Instrument flying course while furloughed from the airline job. I went through the Instructor course at Carswell. Flying with our DO one day, he mentioned he was tasked with getting a new 135 Guard unit up and running and how they would need instructors. After learning about how the Guard operated I Palace chased after five years of active service.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372734474252

BTW, taking off out of U-Tapao, fully loaded, 90+degrees I lost water on the inboards. It felt like we had just hit an invisible wall of jello. Had to level about 35' and milk the flaps up as the speed stagnated. Had we taken off to the North rather than over the Gulf this forum may have had one fewer member.

Stay safe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Bentley wrote:

@Mustang wrote:

@ElLobo 

I see you are picking a fight again.  .......

On a side note, I worked with Boeing Military Aircraft Company when I was in the Air Force as part of the KC-135 Re-engine Program.  The CFM56 engine finally allowed the KC-135 (a tanker aircraft) to take off with a full load.  It was a great modification and the aircraft is still flying today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_KC-135_Stratotanker

Finally, a subject worth discussing. First of all, thank you for your service. I was fortunate to have flown the 135 all over the world. The A, the E, and the R. I agree the modification added years to the airframe and expanded capabilities saving the US billions of dollars in replacement aircraft. Nice work.

Pilot.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Mustang wrote:

The B-52s, KC 135s, and AWACSs sure are workhorses.  The KC 135 replacement, however, has been a whole story in itself.  Politics, as usual!  Interesting replacement story for the new Air Force One guys.  Trump drove a good bargain his first year in office!  8-))

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Hi Gary 1952.

You asked why ME is so vulnerable. Good question, and I would like to know the detailed reasons why myself. I do know that ME is a very service oriented economy with out many valued added products to export. Tourism is huge. HI was also mentioned, maybe for the same reasons? All this was coming from TV news. A comment also made was that the "states" will lose 20% of their revenue this year and ME maybe more so. Many, and I can't define exactly how many of our tourists from "away" (as we say) are from MA. CT. NY, NJ and RI, all of whom are a "hot spot" to some degree. It has been said that there are a few  places where people make their living two months of the year (July and Aug.) Martha's Vinyard, Nantucket, Cape Cod and Maine. I live on a lake (6 months) and there are many in this town, where the summer population is 3 to 4 times the winter. We do not go to restaurants in the summer because we do not want to wait "20 min." ( ya right)  for a seat that will be an hour away. It will be interesting to see how the National Park service runs its program this year. Acadia is a "zoo' in the season. I could go on, but hopefully you get the point.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@NuEnglander wrote:

Hi Gary 1952.

You asked why ME is so vulnerable. Good question, and I would like to know the detailed reasons why myself. I do know that ME is a very service oriented economy with out many valued added products to export. Tourism is huge. HI was also mentioned, maybe for the same reasons? All this was coming from TV news. A comment also made was that the "states" will lose 20% of their revenue this year and ME maybe more so. Many, and I can't define exactly how many of our tourists from "away" (as we say) are from MA. CT. NY, NJ and RI, all of whom are a "hot spot" to some degree. It has been said that there are a few  places where people make their living two months of the year (July and Aug.) Martha's Vinyard, Nantucket, Cape Cod and Maine. I live on a lake (6 months) and there are many in this town, where the summer population is 3 to 4 times the winter. We do not go to restaurants in the summer because we do not want to wait "20 min." ( ya right)  for a seat that will be an hour away. It will be interesting to see how the National Park service runs its program this year. Acadia is a "zoo' in the season. I could go on, but hopefully you get the point.

That's a common economy feature in most states without a big city/suburban area to anchor things, all of the 'green' states in the figure.  People wanna get 'out of town' for the weekend/vacation.  Few people wanna go to town, in the summer, for vacation!  That's what was so egregious about the complete shutdown of rural areas, in response to the New York City situation, especially in the off season!  8-)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

With no response from the moderator, I downloaded the virus death data from Tuesday, May 19, the latest available, from this website: https://usafacts.org/visualizations/coronavirus-covid-19-spread-map/.  

Interesting data:

There are 3,144 counties in the continental US.  As of Tuesday, there were 90,759 deaths in those counties, including a few deaths (444) in a state NOT associated with a county.  That works out to an average of just under 29 deaths per county, so 29 is the mean value.  Six states have 1 county with that number of deaths:

St. Mary ParishLA29
Forrest CountyMS29
Columbia CountyPA29
Florence CountySC29
Cameron CountyTX29
Chesterfield CountyVA29

There are 287 counties that have more than 29 deaths while there are 10 times as many counties, or 2,851, with less.

Of the 3,144 counties, a total of 2,579, or 82%, had 10, or fewer deaths.  I am not sure, but I think a 10 bed hospital is about the minimum size to be profitable.  Here is a table of the number of counties and the number of deaths:

DeathsCounties
Total2579

"Gallia est omnia divisa in tres partes"

Dividing 90,759 total deaths, including non-county specific deaths, into 3 parts equates to 30,253 deaths per part.  The highest top 9 death counties represented a total of 30,142 deaths.  Six are in New York, 1 each in Illinois, California, and Michigan.  They are:

Kings CountyNY6353
Queens CountyNY5983
Bronx CountyNY4142
Cook CountyIL2980
New York CountyNY2664
Wayne CountyMI2275
Nassau CountyNY2060
Los Angeles CountyCA1913
Suffolk CountyNY1772

In summary, this implies, at least to me, that STATE shutdown orders, for the next outbreak, ifn there is one, should be guidelines, not orders, and it should be up to each county official to co-ordinate things with neighboring counties, like they do now for regional issues.

It also implies, at least for me, that economic re-opening restrictions, from the STATE, should also be just guidelines, for exactly the same reason.

Copyright notice:

"#MadewithUSAFacts: Want to use USAFacts county-level COVID-19 data? Download it here. The data is available under a Creative Commons license. We simply request that you cite USAFacts as the data provider and link back to this page. Don’t forget to share what you've created with the USAFacts data. Please tag @usafacts on social media and use the hashtag #MadewithUSAFacts. We'll reshare the posts with the data-loving community."

The site is a great source for all kinds of information.  It is totally non-profit and fully funded by the Ballmer Foundation, itself begat by Steve Ballmer and his wife.  Ballmer is the former Microsoft CEO and current owner of the LA Clippers NBA team.  https://usafacts.org/about-usafacts/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

There has long been a saying that Cook County runs Illinois. Here's why.  The population of Illinois is 12,671,821 (est. 2019).  The population of Cook County is 5,150,283 (est. 2019).  That is the single biggest difference in policies between Indiana and Illinois.  Indiana does not have a Cook County.

I will be honest.  I think 2,980 COVID-19 deaths in Cook County isn't bad considering its population.  I think that is what some people were trying to say when they wanted the statistic to be deaths per 100,000 people instead of deaths per county.  It has 57.8 deaths per 100,000 people.  I think that is fair statistic to use for many purposes.

But, I think population density would play an important part of the spread of COVID-19.  Cook County has a total area of 1,635 square miles of which 945 square miles is land and 690 square miles is water.  People don't live in the water so that would be 2,980 deaths in 945 square miles or 3.15 deaths per square mile.

The county I live in has had 2 deaths.  It has a population of 17,392 (est. 2019).  That's 11.2 deaths per 100,000 around 1/5 that of Cook County.  To me that still sounds like a lot. It has 408 square miles of land. That is 0.0049 deaths per square mile or around 1/642 of Cook County.  Now it doesn't sound like much.

Others may disagree but it is fairly clear to me that restrictions placed on Cook County to inhibit the spread of COVID-19 would be overly restrictive in my county.  I think that is why our governor is opening up the more densely populated counties slower.

I realize that a few people will drive across the county line for a beer even though they can buy carryout where they live.  Its fewer than most people would imagine because they are risking themselves just to sit in a restaurant or bar with strangers. Besides, do you think we should punish everyone for the actions of a few.  I hope not.

I realize people are still arguing over that map.  I never thought it was completely factual.  If so there would have been a hot spot in the green area where Cook County sits.  I thought all it was doing was showing (in a grade school way) how hard New York City and the Eastern seaboard got hit.. I was really surprised when people took it a different way.

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.