cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Bill, Holiday, Ryan, data source

Although it appears as if Ryan has removed my statistics post, presumably because of your comments, Bill, with respect to copyright infringement of the figure I presented, although I didn't generate the figure, I confirmed the data presented in it, as I described to you yesterday.  My source for the county wide data is https://usafacts.org/visualizations/coronavirus-covid-19-spread-map/.  There are numerous sources for this data floating around, as you all know.  Nothing proprietary about it!

The link brings up today's information, which includes an interactive map of the US, by county.  Passing the cursor over the map brings up the name of the county a well as the virus statistics.  It also allows you to go to any date, in the past, to see the data for that day.  Below the map, it allows you to download the data in .csv format, for EXCEL.  You can download Confirmed Cases, Deaths, and County Populations (2019 census estimates).

Although I didn't see it at the time that I used the usafacts.org data above, that link DOES come with this:

"#MadewithUSAFacts: Want to use USAFacts county-level COVID-19 data? Download it here. The data is available under a Creative Commons license. We simply request that you cite USAFacts as the data provider and link back to this page. Don’t forget to share what you've created with the USAFacts data. Please tag @usafacts on social media and use the hashtag #MadewithUSAFacts. We'll reshare the posts with the data-loving community."

Ryan, ifn you will re-open that thread, I will be happy to add this data source note to my OP, in full compliance with their request.  I will also be quite happy to recreate a data table with the numbers and publish it as well, giving the actual 'percentages' for the three colored portions of the map.  Currently, the figure shows those percentages as 33.33%, which are approximations.

In the alternative, I'll also be happy to use the data, in EXCEL, and create my own figure, which I will post in a new M* thread!  This isn't rocket science, guys!  Your call, Ryan!

ElLobo, de la casa de la toro caca grande
0 Kudos
38 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Re: Bill, Holiday, Ryan, data source

If it means anything -- and it probably doesn't -- I'm going to support wolfie here.

All across our society there are novel rationales promoting & practicing censorship among adults;  and M* is one of them.

Ryan, if you absolutely, positively MUST prevent political discussion, I would respectfully suggest you do so with as light a hand as possible.   

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@ElLobo,

Maybe I am wrong.

Why didn't you just credit the info when asked about it many times earlier. If the work isn't proprietary and anybody can do it , then why don't you put together your own map taken from every (roughly 3141) U.S. county health source with real time data updated daily? And don't use the already compiled source that you didn't credit. We should have today's info by the end of next month, maybe.

A Creative Commons doesn't state that the work isn't proprietary, it simply gives the author a free copyright that sharing rights can be given without prior permission beforehand. You should still ALWAYS credit anybody's work when it is not yours.

Also if you want M*Ryan to answer you quicker, you should put @RyanM .

Hoping everyone is healthy!!

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Fishingrod wrote:

@ElLobo,

Why didn't you just credit the info when asked about it many times earlier. If the work isn't proprietary and anybody can do it , then why don't you put together your own map taken from every (roughly 3141) U.S. county health sources with real time data updated daily? We should have today's info by the end of next month, maybe.

A Creative Commons doesn't state that the work isn't proprietary, it simply gives the author a free copyright that sharing rights can be given without prior permission beforehand. You should still ALWAYS credit anybody's work when it is not yours.

Holiday asked for credit for the figure, not for my data source, which presented the 33.33% numbers.  Bill brought up the copyright issue.  Ryan, apparently, responded, given that there were no politics in the data.  Given also that I didn't prepare the figure or do the analysis of the 33.33% information, I couldn't credit the real author.  Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

I made THIS OP more for Holiday than for Bill or Ryan, although I am quite certain that Holiday has his own sources for virus data, as he has posted numerous times around here.

Since my data source specifically asked for credit, I have no reason NOT to comply, just a reason (overlooked).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

ElLobo, I posted once on the thread that was deleted.  Prior to posting, I quickly read the posts of others.

My sense was that the harping and carping from a couple of posters was unseemly and bordered on attacks upon you.  And perhaps an effort to divert attention from uncomfortable (for them) facts.  I found the post calling you out for addressing me, and my response, to be absurd.  Anyone who’s been around a while knows that happens on many threads.  Absurd.  Silly.

Somewhere in my now deleted post, I wrote something like, ‘Anyone with an ounce of common sense and who has done even the slightest amount of research should know that the map in the original post is approximately correct.’  I stand by that.  Attempts to stifle your presentation of certain facts should not be   allowed to stand.   @RyanM 

I have used a source other than the one you cite but it provides basically the same data down to the county level.  This info is in the public domain from various sources.  

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

While it wasn't my responsibility to verify the data I did with linking the exact website ElLobo linked. I verified the image to my satisfaction. Now the real issue is why is it so? 

@Fishingrod wrote:

@ElLobo,

Maybe I am wrong.

Why didn't you just credit the info when asked about it many times earlier. If the work isn't proprietary and anybody can do it , then why don't you put together your own map taken from every (roughly 3141) U.S. county health source with real time data updated daily? And don't use the already compiled source that you didn't credit. We should have today's info by the end of next month, maybe.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

El, I have no interest in re-engaging on this topic.  I believe any discussion of politics or the virus should now be off limits.  This place is to discuss investments.  It is seemingly impossible to discuss politics, religion, or the virus without it devolving into personal attacks.  While I can give as well as I take, it is a big turn off to many.  Enjoy your day.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@bilperk wrote:

El, I have no interest in re-engaging on this topic.  I believe any discussion of politics or the virus should now be off limits.  This place is to discuss investments.  It is seemingly impossible to discuss politics, religion, or the virus without it devolving into personal attacks.  While I can give as well as I take, it is a big turn off to many.  Enjoy your day.

Interesting.  Why now, Bill?  Why not a few weeks ago, whenever I first suggested it.  Ifn you don't want to discuss either, stop posting!  See you on Facebook, my friend!  8-))

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm at the point where I'm entertaining Lobo's suggestion that all virus topics be verboten. Every time one is posted here, it gets political and there are multiple reports of inappropriate content from users. I'm getting tired of cleaning up the messes in the Off Topic forum.

There are countless other places on the Internet for you all to have these debates.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@RyanM wrote:

I'm at the point where I'm entertaining Lobo's suggestion that all virus topics be verboten. Every time one is posted here, it gets political and there are multiple reports of inappropriate content from users. I'm getting tired of cleaning up the messes in the Off Topic forum.

There are countless other places on the Internet for you all to have these debates.

Actually, there was very little political in this specific post.  Did you delete it because it was so, and NOT for the copyright issue that Bill brought up?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@bilperk wrote:

This place is to discuss investments.  

May I respectfully suggest you read Morningstar’s intro to the off-topic forum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@cliff wrote:

ElLobo, I posted once on the thread that was deleted.  Prior to posting, I quickly read the posts of others.

My sense was that the harping and carping from a couple of posters was unseemly and bordered on attacks upon you.  And perhaps an effort to divert attention from uncomfortable (for them) facts.  I found the post calling you out for addressing me, and my response, to be absurd.  Anyone who’s been around a while knows that happens on many threads.  Absurd.  Silly.

Somewhere in my now deleted post, I wrote something like, ‘Anyone with an ounce of common sense and who has done even the slightest amount of research should know that the map in the original post is approximately correct.’  I stand by that.  Attempts to stifle your presentation of certain facts should not be   allowed to stand.   @RyanM 

I have used a source other than the one you cite but it provides basically the same data down to the county level.  This info is in the public domain from various sources.  

Hey, Cliff, it's a simple matter that geezers, like us, and especially engineers, like me, especially retired engineers, like me, especially retired male engineers, like me, and ESPECIALLY retired Boeing male engineers, again, finally, like me, have to be precise in our approximations, otherwise the snowflake millenials go bonkers.  After all, there's always 5 ways of doing things - the right way, the wrong way, the government way, the Boeing way, and the other Boeing way.  The 737Max MCAS problems are the prime example!

Highlighted
Community Manager

@ElLobo wrote:

@cliff wrote:

Hey, Cliff, it's a simple matter that geezers, like us, and especially engineers, like me, especially retired engineers, like me, especially retired male engineers, like me, and ESPECIALLY retired Boeing male engineers, again, finally, like me, have to be precise in our approximations, otherwise the snowflake millenials go bonkers.  After all, there's always 5 ways of doing things - the right way, the wrong way, the government way, the Boeing way, and the other Boeing way.  The 737Max MCAS problems are the prime example!

It's not a good idea to use terms like these, even in jest. The quoted post was just reported to me moments ago. This is why most of the topics you start end up either locked or on the scrap heap.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Ellob,

The ease with which you dispel derogatory comments ("snowflake millennials") makes any intelligent discussion difficult and is probably why Ryan needs to step in during reasonable discourse between opposing views.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

@ElLobo 

I see you are picking a fight again.  Holliday seems to particularly want sources.  He seemed very upset in another thread showing a map.  I didn't think it was a big deal but he took the time and effort (a lot of effort) to explain his case.  Even though I didn't understand why I respect that.

On a side note, I worked with Boeing Military Aircraft Company when I was in the Air Force as part of the KC-135 Re-engine Program.  The CFM56 engine finally allowed the KC-135 (a tanker aircraft) to take off with a full load.  It was a great modification and the aircraft is still flying today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_KC-135_Stratotanker

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I'm sure glad Bill spoke up. I'm completely turned off by how this site is beginning to resemble the old defunct politics site.

I understand that all of us, in these difficult times,, feel stress at some level, but Morningstar is not obliged to address our psychological concerns and needs.

I encourage you, Ryan, to steer this site back to investing. That's why I visit. There are many interesting investment perspectives  discussed here. That's plenty good enough for me.

Bob 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

@RyanM wrote:

@ElLobo wrote:

@cliff wrote:

It's not a good idea to use terms like these, even in jest. The quoted post was just reported to me moments ago. This is why most of the topics you start end up either locked or on the scrap heap.

@ElLoboI agree.  You just told me in another thread that you don't do that anymore.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Mustang wrote:

@RyanM wrote:

@ElLobo wrote:

@cliff wrote:

@ElLoboI agree.  You just told me in another thread that you don't do that anymore.

Snowflake millenial isn't political, its generational, coming from one of the first 'baby boomers', aka 'geezers', those born post WWII, and I, obviously, wasn't referring to Ryan, who never comments on the substance of a post, but to others who DO get political, it seems!

Highlighted
Community Manager

FWIW, I didn't think you were talking about me. (Incidentally, I fall within the microgreneration between Gen X and Millennial, which some have termed Xellennial.)

You have to admit "snowflake" is often used in political debates to denigrate liberals.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

A term for someone that thinks they are unique and special, but really are not. It gained popularity after the movie "Fight Club" from the quote “You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

Began being used extensively as a putdown for someone, usually on the political left, who is easily offended or felt they needed a "safe space" away from the harsh realities of the world, but now has morphed into a general putdown for anyone that complains about any subject.

Comedians have a hard time performing on college campuses anymore because of all the little snowflakes running around that get offended by just about anything they say.

Announcements