cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
     
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bar B Q and Smoker Thread


@bilperk wrote:

I'm not much into the culture of smoking like some are, I just like the results.  Because of that, and that I have read in many places that smoke only penetrates meat for 2 hours, I usually smoke my pork shoulder for 3 hours or so and finish it in either the oven or slow cooker.  I'm not a big fan of a deep bark, so this works well for me and I don't have to spend the entire day or night worrying about the heat getting away from me on my egg.  Because I'm older and my sense of smell and taste is less than it used to be, I can't tell the difference.


I’ve done the oven finish a few times too. Mostly because I’m still getting the timing down and starting cooking it too late. I do like the bark, however. I ordered the bear claws so I’ll be ready to tear apart the next pork butt. Tomorrow I’m smoking a 7 lb chicken. It’s brined for 24 hours and I’m starting it before noon. Can’t wait! Be safe!

Highlighted
Participant ○

Re: Bar B Q and Smoker Thread

I do the same.  I have recycled lungs, so I try and avoid the smoke as much as possible.  I tend to smoke a large piece of meat for 3 hours max, and then move to the oven at 250 or so.  No one would ever know it has not been on the smoker for the entire cook.  I would think most large commercial units provide the same process.   Smoke late in the cook tends to just leave an acrid layer on the external surface.  That is why people use pink butcher paper late in the cook if smoke is still present.  I have never used foil, but often use pink butcher on briskets or pork butts.  It does not retain the steam like foil, and keeps smoke out.  A big roll lasts forever.   My main problem with finishing in the oven is that my house smells like a barbecue joint for a couple of days. A few hours would be ok, but 2 days?  There is still a nice bark when it is finished in the oven.  There is no difference.  

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bar B Q and Smoker Thread


@Bartab wrote:

I do the same.  I have recycled lungs, so I try and avoid the smoke as much as possible.  I tend to smoke a large piece of meat for 3 hours max, and then move to the oven at 250 or so.  No one would ever know it has not been on the smoker for the entire cook.  I would think most large commercial units provide the same process.   Smoke late in the cook tends to just leave an acrid layer on the external surface.  That is why people use pink butcher paper late in the cook if smoke is still present.  I have never used foil, but often use pink butcher on briskets or pork butts.  It does not retain the steam like foil, and keeps smoke out.  A big roll lasts forever.   My main problem with finishing in the oven is that my house smells like a barbecue joint for a couple of days. A few hours would be ok, but 2 days?  There is still a nice bark when it is finished in the oven.  There is no difference.  


Good points. I’m smoking a chicken now. Got started early because it threatens rain. If not I’ll stop the smoke later in the process. I understand after a few hours the meat can’t take more. Thanks for the tips. With the slow smoker extension I can easily turn that off and leave the main smoker on as just an oven. But since it’s electric obviously don’t use in rain. Other than that I love it! Stay safe.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bar B Q and Smoker Thread

Wow! Looks awesome! I missed the pic first go-round. Love the salsa. You have a recipe for it?


@Gary1952 wrote:

Now were doing recipes! Today I am grilling salmon on the Traeger. It gets a good grilled not overly smokey flavor. At the end I glaze with a little BBQ sauce of your choice. Not a whole lot. I garnish with a chunky avocado salsa with some corn in it. I "stole" this dish from a favorite restaurant. The amazing thing is that BBQ sauce is really good on the salmon. But I don't use much. Picture to follow.

@rhythmmethod that looks good. Seafood with grits is awesome and I love greens.

EDB81985-8AD5-43BA-A7C3-7E9D34020ADB.jpeg

 


 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: Bar B Q and Smoker Thread

Avocado, corn, cilantro, diced tomato, lime juice, olive oil, chili powder, salt, black pepper. All in proportions you want. It is good enough to eat. ;-)


@rhythmmethod wrote:

Wow! Looks awesome! I missed the pic first go-round. Love the salsa. You have a recipe for it?


 

 

Highlighted
Participant ○

Re: Bar B Q and Smoker Thread

I am doing baby back ribs tonight.  I try and do them 6 or so hours at 230 degrees but my temps got a little warm earlier so these will go a bit faster.  I use charcoal with big chunks of Oak arranged in the charcoal off to the side.  I need to have low temps towards the end of  the cook because with about an hour or so remaining I will paint on with a paint brush a mixture of brown sugar and water.  About the consistency of thin syrup.  If the heat is too high it can burn a little bit so I try to get the temps around 225 or so.  After I paint it with the brown sugar syrup, I sprinkle on a little bit of rub that I feel like using.  Just a little.  When you take a bite you will first hit the sweet and rub flavor, and then the smoke will hit you.  It's not too sweet, just a hint.  Cole Slaw and sliced tomato's from our plants on the side.  I will dip into a bbq sauce, but I never put it on when cooking.  That would be a crime in my world.  I use only salt and pepper as the rub for most of the cook.  I grind the peppercorns myself before they go on the ribs about an hour before I put them on.  

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bar B Q and Smoker Thread


@Bartab wrote:

I am doing baby back ribs tonight.  I try and do them 6 or so hours at 230 degrees but my temps got a little warm earlier so these will go a bit faster.  I use charcoal with big chunks of Oak arranged in the charcoal off to the side.  I need to have low temps towards the end of  the cook because with about an hour or so remaining I will paint on with a paint brush a mixture of brown sugar and water.  About the consistency of thin syrup.  If the heat is too high it can burn a little bit so I try to get the temps around 225 or so.  After I paint it with the brown sugar syrup, I sprinkle on a little bit of rub that I feel like using.  Just a little.  When you take a bite you will first hit the sweet and rub flavor, and then the smoke will hit you.  It's not too sweet, just a hint.  Cole Slaw and sliced tomato's from our plants on the side.  I will dip into a bbq sauce, but I never put it on when cooking.  That would be a crime in my world.  I use only salt and pepper as the rub for most of the cook.  I grind the peppercorns myself before they go on the ribs about an hour before I put them on.  


That sounds like the truth! Post a pic if you like!👍🏻👍🏻

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Re: Bar B Q and Smoker Thread

Jeez, I didn't know you could just drag and drop photos on here.  Just saw that.  I will take pics next time.  Well, the ribs were eaten and people said they were good, but I couldn't help but wish the temp didn't get out of control early on.  It kind of bothers me, so they were not top notch as far as I was concerned.  Next time I will pay more attention.  Anyway, a beautiful day in Northern California with a little fog coming back over the hills this evening while we ate, so will get some cooler days ahead.  

Announcements