cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bar B Q and Smoker Thread

I'm loving nerding out on this. I'll post a pic of the "Slow Smoker" attachment. I'm still playing with the new toy.  Right about the aluminum foil, Copie. That make clean up way easier. I've got the chicken and pork butt down pretty well. Ny next adventures are short ribs, brisket and fish. Replaced my Webber Gas grill last year so I don't want it to get jealous. Take care!

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

The comment about adding beer to smoke chicken...You can buy a small stand that holds a can of beer that you stick in the cavity of the chicken. In other words, you smoke the chicken with a beer stuck up its bottom. Quite tasty.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Haven’t tried that yet. I use a Traeger pellet grille. Did a chicken yesterday. I always cut down the back and lay it open. Salt and pepper is all you need. Smoke for about an hour @180 then turn it up to 350 for final cooking. Skin side down for maybe an hour then turn to finish. I cook by feel and look. 

Thanks rm for starting this thread. 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Explain the salt smoking please. 

Go ahead and spring for it. You only live once and a man of your investing means can handle it. 👍🏽

@bilperk wrote:

@Bentley wrote:

@rhythmmethod wrote:

Hey Smokers, I thought I'd start a thread on Bar-B-Q and smoking recipes, tips and pictures. @copie  got me interested in the Masterbuilt E. Smoker and there is no going back. Last week I smoked a chicken and it was pretty amazing (if I do say so). Today I'm going for the pork butt (sounds dirty). I brined it overnight, rub with brown sugar mixed with my favorite BBQ rub. I'm letting it sit for an hour before I smoke (thinking Hickory or Apple wood). I'll post some pictures from my other device. I'm interested in other folks’ methods. I know @copie is the Maestro. I thought this would be a fun political free zone to explore a common summer, social distancing tradition. Take care. rm

Here is my favorite Prime Rib recipe.

https://www.nibblemethis.com/2011/12/reverse-seared-prime-rib-roast.html

You may find his site as a good resource for other recipes.

If you want to get serious about smoking, pick up a copy of Franklin Barbecue ( A Meat Smoking Manifesto )

I've had my green egg about ten years now and smoke three to four times a month.

B

@Bentley ,

Do you have a temperature controller for your egg?  I have the "poor mans egg", a Chargriller Kamado Jr.  I have had luck holding the temp at 215-220 but I have to watch it.  The egg only cost $150 on Amazon, but the temp controller would be a minimum of $190, with most in the 250-350 range.  That's a lot of port butts.  The upside is mine is very portable, take to the beach or on vacation at a cabin or such.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Gary1952 wrote:

Haven’t tried that yet. I use a Traeger pellet grille. Did a chicken yesterday. I always cut down the back and lay it open. Salt and pepper is all you need. Smoke for about an hour @180 then turn it up to 350 for final cooking. Skin side down for maybe an hour then turn to finish. I cook by feel and look. 

That is called spatchcocking.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

The Jack Bogle in me can't see spending $200 for an attachment to a $150 grill.  And I wouldn't smoke that much anyway.  I can get a good smoke on a spatchcocked chicken at 300 degrees or even higher with a deflector in the egg and a drip pan.

Smoked salt is just that.  Take something like a large grease splatter screen you would use on a frying pan.  Lay it on the grid and cover it is sea salt, not too fine.  Smoke for several hours.  The salt turns brownish and adds smoke flavor to food when you are not cooking with the smoker.  Works best in a grinder.  Good on veggies, eggs, meats.  It has been a couple of years since I did that.  You can probably google it.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

I don’t spatchcock. I leave the back intact. Just cut along the backbone. Also spatchcocking  can include snipIng wingtips and cut slits to tuck legs into. 

@bilperk wrote:

@Gary1952 wrote:

That is called spatchcocking.

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Never used an electric smoker before. Any recommendations? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Kudzu wrote:

I recently got this one. I noticed the price increased about $25 from what I paid. @copie  uses Masterbuilt E smoker too. I like it with 2 caveats. The place to put chips is rather small and needs to be filled somewhat frequently. (Some soak their chips thus making them last longer). Also, it’s hard to get the smoke at low temperatures to smoke fish, etc. I just ordered the Masterbuilt slow smoker (google it) extension. It should solve both small issues. Warning I tried to save a few bucks and found out it was coming from China so I  cancelled and ordered from Home Depot. I’ll post how it works when I have it and connect. Basically I love the E-Smoker so far.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

I use a Traeger pellet grille. It uses electricity to start the pellets and runs a fan to keep the pellets burning and spread the heat. It can control from about 180 deg to 450+ deg  

@Kudzu wrote:

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I wonder if it would be necessary to start a seprate thread for Bar BQ eaters? I like brisket and pork filled potatoes. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Gary1952 wrote:

I use a Traeger pellet grille. It uses electricity to start the pellets and runs a fan to keep the pellets burning and spread the heat. It can control from about 180 deg to 450+ deg  

@Kudzu wrote:

Sounds nice. I might have considered that! I pair my E-Smoker with a Webber Gas Grill. I create my own 'balanced grill fund' to keep heat and smoke separate and rebalance as needed ;)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Seared scallops. Take out of refrigerator 30 minutes before grill. Rinse with water. Pat dry (very important). Coat lightly with olive oil. Cook on hot flame 1 minute lid up, close lid another 1 -2 minutes depending on size. Turn and repeat. Served with artisan cheese grits, mushrooms and collard greens! Yeah baby.

97538DB2-3EA6-4FF4-A437-176F554FC645.jpeg

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Now were doing recipes! Today I am grilling salmon on the Traeger. It gets a good grilled not overly smokey flavor. At the end I glaze with a little BBQ sauce of your choice. Not a whole lot. I garnish with a chunky avocado salsa with some corn in it. I "stole" this dish from a favorite restaurant. The amazing thing is that BBQ sauce is really good on the salmon. But I don't use much. Picture to follow.

@rhythmmethod that looks good. Seafood with grits is awesome and I love greens.

EDB81985-8AD5-43BA-A7C3-7E9D34020ADB.jpeg

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

So give me a clue on pork filled potatoes.

@FatKat wrote:

I wonder if it would be necessary to start a seprate thread for Bar BQ eaters? I like brisket and pork filled potatoes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Love the idea of avocado salsa! I'll have to try that. My scallop and grits is a twist to shrimp and grits. I really like the sear on the scallops. My Masterbuilt slow smoker extension arrives today. Too bad I can't post a video but I'll let people know how it works. BTW - I do salmon on a cedar plank sometimes. Enjoy!

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Slow (cold )smoker attachment installed. Only issue was/is getting them level. I have the heat in the main smoker turned completely off. It’s putting out smoke like crazy. I’m curing it now but planning something soon.

5E059C11-317A-4911-91D9-DED21A5F5D76.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@rhythmmethod wrote:

Slow (cold )smoker attachment installed. Only issue was/is getting them level. I have the heat in the main smoker turned completely off. It’s putting out smoke like crazy. I’m curing it now but planning something soon.

You should consider having 3 feet between your smoker and any structure that could catch fire. Can't imagine any municipality or insurance company would allow for a smoker to be placed on a wooden deck and adjacent to a wooden structure. I know you are a musician but please be careful.

veni vidi vici vti
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Bentley wrote:

@rhythmmethod wrote:

You should consider having 3 feet between your smoker and any structure that could catch fire. Can't imagine any municipality or insurance company would allow for a smoker to be placed on a wooden deck and adjacent to a wooden structure. I know you are a musician but please be careful.

Good point. I’ve moved it out to 4 feet. I’ve also set it on heat resistant mat. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I'm not much into the culture of smoking like some are, I just like the results.  Because of that, and that I have read in many places that smoke only penetrates meat for 2 hours, I usually smoke my pork shoulder for 3 hours or so and finish it in either the oven or slow cooker.  I'm not a big fan of a deep bark, so this works well for me and I don't have to spend the entire day or night worrying about the heat getting away from me on my egg.  Because I'm older and my sense of smell and taste is less than it used to be, I can't tell the difference.

Announcements