cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Bar B Q and Smoker Thread

Hey Smokers, I thought I'd start a thread on Bar-B-Q and smoking recipes, tips and pictures. @copie  got me interested in the Masterbuilt E. Smoker and there is no going back. Last week I smoked a chicken and it was pretty amazing (if I do say so). Today I'm going for the pork butt (sounds dirty). I brined it overnight, rub with brown sugar mixed with my favorite BBQ rub. I'm letting it sit for an hour before I smoke (thinking Hickory or Apple wood). I'll post some pictures from my other device. I'm interested in other folks’ methods. I know @copie is the Maestro. I thought this would be a fun political free zone to explore a common summer, social distancing tradition. Take care. rm

47 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bar B Q and Smoker Thread

B1F9FF14-4208-4C4F-8F14-7DA310AFB184.jpeg

Highlighted
Participant ○

Why is it necessary to brine a pork butt?  Or was it injected?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Bartab wrote:

Why is it necessary to brine a pork butt?  Or was it injected?

It’s not necessary. But I understand it increases the quality of the ‘bark’. I’ll post a picture later. I didn’t inject this but I did the chicken. I’m still a rookie. @copie  knows much more than I.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Well, this might seem rather academic, but since this is your first pork butt, I will have at it.  There is a great product called Bear Claws that are a big help when you pull the meat later on.  It might be called Bear Paws, but something like that.  Not necessary, but they work well.  When I pull the butt, I sprinkle lightly a very little bit of the rub that I used during the cook over the pulled meat.  The mistake I see most people make at the start is to time things to be done at a certain time and certain temp.  A pork butt is done when it is done.  The temp can vary.  The time can vary.  Same with brisket.  Never be in a hurry to pull meat at a certain time.   An ice pick or the like will go in like it were warm butter when it is good.  Somewhere around 200 f.  Get a good thermometer.  Thermo pen, or I use Thermo dot.  Honestly, any wood is good.  Used hickory where I grew up.  In California we mostly use oak, and I use apple as well.  Hickory is stronger, but I still like it but use oak mostly.   I might have to go grab a pork butt now.  

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@rhythmmethod wrote:

Hey Smokers, I thought I'd start a thread on Bar-B-Q and smoking recipes, tips and pictures. @copie  got me interested in the Masterbuilt E. Smoker and there is no going back. Last week I smoked a chicken and it was pretty amazing (if I do say so). Today I'm going for the pork butt (sounds dirty). I brined it overnight, rub with brown sugar mixed with my favorite BBQ rub. I'm letting it sit for an hour before I smoke (thinking Hickory or Apple wood). I'll post some pictures from my other device. I'm interested in other folks’ methods. I know @copie is the Maestro. I thought this would be a fun political free zone to explore a common summer, social distancing tradition. Take care. rm

I assume you are using some reference to determine what to do.  The few times I've made a PB, I've started early in the morning.  I only make them when I'm having company, so I want to be sure they are done early.  Once wrapped with foil and finished, the butt can be held for several hours, by wrapping it in a towel or two and putting it in a cooler.  It will still be hot, but the juices will have been redistributed back into the meat.  Always return the juice that does come out back into the meat as you pull it.  I also have used a combo of apple juice and bbq sauce once pulled to help keep it moist, but not a lot.

I have found that if leftovers are vacuum sealed and frozen, I can't really tell the difference from the first day when thawed and used.  I do not have a dedicated smoker per se but an egg type kamado.  I do far more higher temp grilling and roasting than smoking.  When you have a chance, you should try smoking some salt.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Thanks @bilperk. I’ll do that. I’m in the stall stage now but it shall pass. I may post a picture when done. I’m also interested in others’ favorite recipes, methods, sauce, injections, etc. I do a lot of high temp grilling as well but now into the smoker since I have more time on my hands. Tomorrow I plan to smoke catfish! Stay well.

@bilperk wrote:

I assume you are using some reference to determine what to do.  The few times I've made a PB, I've started early in the morning.  I only make them when I'm having company, so I want to be sure they are done early.  Once wrapped with foil and finished, the butt can be held for several hours, by wrapping it in a towel or two and putting it in a cooler.  It will still be hot, but the juices will have been redistributed back into the meat.  Always return the juice that does come out back into the meat as you pull it.  I also have used a combo of apple juice and bbq sauce once pulled to help keep it moist, but not a lot.

I have found that if leftovers are vacuum sealed and frozen, I can't really tell the difference from the first day when thawed and used.  I do not have a dedicated smoker per se but an egg type kamado.  I do far more higher temp grilling and roasting than smoking.  When you have a chance, you should try smoking some salt.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@rhythmmethod wrote:

Here is my favorite Prime Rib recipe.

https://www.nibblemethis.com/2011/12/reverse-seared-prime-rib-roast.html

You may find his site as a good resource for other recipes.

If you want to get serious about smoking, pick up a copy of Franklin Barbecue ( A Meat Smoking Manifesto )

I've had my green egg about ten years now and smoke three to four times a month.

B

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Is it still smoking, LOL?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Finally a thread truly worthy of attention.  Looking forward to reading this daily.  Grilling has long been a hobby of mine.  Was inspired by my father who was self taught and a true master.  Picked it up when he came home from WWII.  Was even smoking raw oysters on his rotisserie in the late 60's.  On Thanksgiving, he would put a ham and a turkey on the rotisserie at 5:00 am with soaked hickory chips and let them baste in their own juices til about 1:00 pm.  Amazing, especially when paired with my mother's oyster dressing and giblet gravy....Afraid I've made myself hungry now.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Bentley wrote:

@rhythmmethod wrote:

Here is my favorite Prime Rib recipe.

https://www.nibblemethis.com/2011/12/reverse-seared-prime-rib-roast.html

You may find his site as a good resource for other recipes.

If you want to get serious about smoking, pick up a copy of Franklin Barbecue ( A Meat Smoking Manifesto )

I've had my green egg about ten years now and smoke three to four times a month.

B

@Bentley ,

Do you have a temperature controller for your egg?  I have the "poor mans egg", a Chargriller Kamado Jr.  I have had luck holding the temp at 215-220 but I have to watch it.  The egg only cost $150 on Amazon, but the temp controller would be a minimum of $190, with most in the 250-350 range.  That's a lot of port butts.  The upside is mine is very portable, take to the beach or on vacation at a cabin or such.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I do not have an automatic temperature controller. The manual inlet/outlet has worked well for me. I have had a couple of occasions where the temperature got away from me during startup and it can take an extended period to bring it back down. One way of lowering the temperature is to add more lump charcoal which seems counter-intuitive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@bilperk wrote:

Is it still smoking, LOL?

I think I was Pig Trippin'. Man-O-Man - As Calvin Jones, arranger for Ray Charles, used to tell me, "The Swine is a soulful beast!" Eight smoking hours, brined and rubbed. Moistened with vinegar/ beer spritz and smoked with hickory chips. I used some BBQ sauce while eating but didn't need it. Tonight, we'll have smoked catfish! We had a heavy thunderstorm last night which complicated things a bit, but all turned out fine. Post some pic and recopies. Be well, rm

IMG_0886.jpg

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Looks very fine!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@bilperk wrote:

Do you have a temperature controller for your egg?  I have the "poor mans egg", a Chargriller Kamado Jr.  I have had luck holding the temp at 215-220 but I have to watch it.  The egg only cost $150 on Amazon, but the temp controller would be a minimum of $190, with most in the 250-350 range.  That's a lot of port butts.  The upside is mine is very portable, take to the beach or on vacation at a cabin or such.

I'm loving my Masterbuilt E- Smoker. It has temp control. It was on sale at Amazon. I ordered the cold smoker extension as well but it hasn't arrived yet. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FVK3FNV/ref=dp_cerb_2

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Sometime today will mix up some beef broth, tb. wor. s., tb. Soy S. and some accent and inject into a brisket. Then rub brisket with olive oil and coat with rub or Montreal seasoning. Both are good. Set smoker temp. on 225 and let cook overnight.  With beef I like hickory, mesquite or pecan chips.  When internal temp. reaches 190 will take off and wrap in alum. foil and then wrap in old towel. Put in dry ice chest for min. 3 hours.  You need the 190 inside temp. to break the meat down. 

Copie

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@copie, do you have the Masterbuilt slow smoker extension. I ordered it but hasn’t arrived yet (from China!). If you’re smoking overnight I thought you might bc of having to fill the wood chip container every hour. My chip container is rather small in the version I have. Also, I don’t get much smoke at low temp like 175 or so. I smoked catfish last night and was good but not enough smoke, I did a modification by removing the bracket so the chip container sits directly on coils. I. Read others had done similar. I’ll post on the cold smoker when it arrives. I’ll try the brisket. I know that’s advanced techniques. Stay well. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

No I have not looked at the new part you are talking about. Will check into it. If I am going to smoke over night I will soak my chips in water for couple hours then drain all water I can, but still wet. Put them in holder and that will take you rest of night. After 4 hrs I have been told the meat will not take anymore smoke. Be careful and do not over smoke. Plan to use pecan on brisket.

Have had good luck with using apple chips and apple juice with chicken and pork. I would guess by now that you know that you can not use to much alum. foil on bottom and water pan. Sure helps clean up!

Sometime try a little beer in pan when smoking chicken. I do not want to let you down, but their is a lot of people out there that know a lot more about smokers then me! :)

Copie

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

When I first got my egg I did quite a bit of smoking for a few months.  I think I OD on it and really didn't find the flavor that appealing; to much of a good thing I guess.  But I use it for burgers steaks, sausage, chicken, kabobs, dogs, potatoes, corn, shrimp, planked salmon, chops, vegies and so on at least once a week.

Highlighted
Participant ○

I don't get injecting with all of those flavors.  I prefer the Texas way.  Salt, Pepper, and smoke.  Seems kind of sacrilegious to me.  Smoking a brisket for 16 hours and then tasting worcestershire and soy sauce seems pointless.   

Announcements