cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
cliff
Explorer ○○

Airing of Grievances - A Festivus Tradition

To avoid the excesses and folderol associated with the upcoming holiday season, I'm embracing Festivus, Festivus for the rest of us.  George Costanza's dad, Frank, famously kicked off Festivus with these words:  "Welcome, newcomers.  The tradition of Festivus begins with the airing of grievances.  I got a lot of problems with you people!  And now you're gonna hear about it!"

In that spirit - having a lot of problems with you people - here's my list of grievances.  Remember, they're my grievances.  Don't waste your time trying to change my mind; it ain't gonna happen.  Feel free to post your own damned grievances, though.

Grievance 1:  Posters who don't know the difference between the words disclaimer and disclosure . . . . or its and it's . . . . . or there and their and they're . . . . . or don't know what an apostrophe is used for (Don't look around at others now, you know who you are).

Grievance 2:  TV that shouts "BREAKING NEWS!!" but is really nothing but a panel of biased, partisan hacks endlessly bloviating about crap that will be forgotten tomorrow.

Grievance 3: Those who make fun of some investors by agreeing that all those of below average abilities are obviously better off sticking with index funds.

Grievance 4:  The woman ahead of me in the checkout lane who waits until her cart is all rung up and has discussed with the cashier the painful treatments she is undergoing for her incontinence and then - and only then - realizes that she is actually expected to pay for her purchases and starts scrabbling through her handbag for a dime, a nickel and four pennies to go with her fifty dollar bill.

Grievance 5:  People who post online using caps and unnecessary punctuation.  STOP IT!!  JUST STOP IT!!!!!

Grievance 6:  Artificial intelligence, in any circumstance.  Real intelligence is always preferable.

Grievance 7:  The trumpeting of unrealized gains as some sort of heroic achievement.  If you want me to be impressed, sell something that shows a profit and pocket the cash.  That's real, like a dividend.

Grievance 8:  My trash guy, who picks up every Monday and Thursday.  That's 104 times a year.  Just once I'd like to see the slacker put the cans back where he got them, with the covers on.

Grievance 9:  Order takers at fast food drive-thru's who can't speak English.

Grievance 10:  Political correctness.  It just aggravates the hell out of me, in all its silly and pretentious and hypocritical forms.

Grievance 11:  The Yankees, the Patriots, Jerry Jones' Cowboys and Duke.  Yeah, they win more than they lose over the years and that usually makes them the favorite.  But I like to root for the underdog.  It's more satisfying when the little guy sticks it to one of the biggies.

Grievance 12:  The Morningstar algorithm that grants Valued Contributor status to post-a-lot guys, without recognizing that quality posts by non-post-a-lot guys could be far more valuable.  Think about it.  Over time, lots of folks are going to run up their post count.  And the algorithm will make 'em Valued, right?  Soon there will be hundreds of idiots running around bragging they're Valued.  Even me maybe.  Which will clearly devalue the Valued.  Really Morningstar, just schiff-can the whole thing.  I don't think FD or yogi or chang will mind.  I'm guessing they don't want to be in the same status as me someday.  And I sure as hell don't.

Grievance 13:  While I'm at it, this whole Christmas thing starting right after the Fourth of July is just not right.  It's only a birthday.  Let's give it a couple of days of good food and drink and move on.  Either that or celebrate it every four years like the Olympics.

Grievance 14:  Pink flamingoes in front yards.  I don't care that bilperk has 13 of them, I just think they're tacky.

Grievance 15:  The use of the letter 'O' (Oh) instead of zero, as in saying two-oh-one for the number two-zero-one (201).  'O' is a letter you people, let's get it right.  Saying two-oh-one makes as much sense as using the letter 'Z' for the number 2 and saying zee--oh-one.

I have more, for sure, but I'm aggrieved with my short game and I've got to go practice two-foot putts now.

48 Replies
sugarhill6
Explorer ○○

Re: Airing of Grievances - A Festivus Tradition

Posters asking for financial help when they really just want you to agree that the strategy they spent 10 minutes writing a story about is a good one.    

Citizens who don't want any change to healthcare....but say that healthcare is the #1 reason they can't retire early or will have to work much longer than they like.    

0 Kudos
HouseDivided
Follower ○○○

Drive for show, putt for dough!

@cliff wrote:

I have more, for sure, but I'm aggrieved with my short game and I've got to go practice two-foot putts now.

0 Kudos
Gary1952
Contributor ○○○

I'm good with 2 footers. I want to know more about the 295 yard bombs.

0 Kudos
UncleFutz
Explorer ○

Addition to Grievance 1:  Not knowing the difference between loose and lose.

0 Kudos
chang
Valued Contributor

@UncleFutz wrote:

Addition to Grievance 1:  Not knowing the difference between loose and lose.

Principal and principle.

yogibearbull
Valued Contributor

Re #1: It's vs its is a smartphone problem where the spellcheck/editor has it's as default [on my Android phone]. Often I have to go back and fix it.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/its-vs-its/

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/its-vs-its/

YBB
0 Kudos
cliff
Explorer ○○

@yogibearbull wrote:

Re #1: It's vs its is a smartphone problem where the spellcheck/editor has it's as default [on my Android phone]. Often I have to go back and fix it.

Don’t try to provide cover for any doofus that doesn’t have enough sense to correct a machine error.  Like I said, it is my grievance and I’m sticking to it.

chang
Valued Contributor

I’ll tell you what my biggest pet peeve is. People who overuse “unique” to the point where it means “slightly different”.

Also: people who write “multiple” instead of “several”.

I see multiple examples of this uniquely annoying habit every day.

0 Kudos
chang
Valued Contributor

@cliff wrote:

@yogibearbull wrote:

Don’t try to provide cover for any doofus that doesn’t have enough sense to correct a machine error.  Like I said, it is my grievance and I’m sticking to it.

I never confuse its and it’s. It’s something I wouldn’t do because of its vulgarity.

But I did read once that Thomas Jefferson used “it’s” to mean “its” (possessive).

0 Kudos
wayoutwest
Participant ○○

The term "price point" when "price" will suffice.

0 Kudos
DJANG0
Explorer ○○

My grievance: libraries are no longer quiet spaces. Smart phones have turned a significant number of people in public spaces into rude morons.

0 Kudos
ViveBene
Explorer ○

A good New Yorker article a while back pointed out that with cell phones, etc., in such constant use, what is lost is public space, not privacy.

Public space used to imply a certain kind of behavior.

Jefferson identified a North American lion, until he didn't. Good story:

https://www.monticello.org/site/research-and-collections/megalonyx-jeffersonii-fossils 

No bloviating feckless benighted fool, he!

0 Kudos
ViveBene
Explorer ○

Grievances:

1. Robocalls.

2. Bicyclists who fail to observe *any* rules of the road.

3. Folks wearing Canada Goose jackets when it is 40 degrees F out.

0 Kudos
anatfizz1
Follower ○○

Trying correcting 120 essay exams which required students to use to, too, and two somewhere in their answers.  And in LA the busiest freeway in the city if not the country is called the ‘four-oh-five’ (405).

0 Kudos
wayoutwest
Participant ○○

@anatfizz1 wrote:

And in LA the busiest freeway in the city if not the country is called the ‘four-oh-five’ (405).

As in one-oh-one (101) along the coast.

0 Kudos
pudman
Explorer ○○○

1. Over and mistaken use of "literally"

2. Self-righteous, morally superior Seattle bicyclists

3. People who can't get their nose out of their phone long enough for a non-disjointed, non-distracted conversation longer than 30 seconds.

4. Americans who tip in countries where tipping is (was) not an insidious custom.

5. Smothering Japanese gym assistants/"trainers" who insist on treating people like mentally handicapped drooling 5 year olds.

6. Al Sharpton's, Boris Johnson's and Donald Trump's hair stylists.

Chez Pud has observed Festivus for years and years and looks forward to it again this year. I think Cliff's grievances are very much in line with my own. To the rest of us!

0 Kudos
rila3400
Contributor ○

In no particular order...

1)  School delays due to trace of snow or school cancellations after 2" of snow
     I regularly walked to school 5 miles away (uphill) when there was 18" of snow on the ground.

2)  Ripped jeans
     If I'm paying good money for trousers, they better not have any holes in them!

3)  Periodic Manadarin robo-calls/voicemails
     I don't understand the language. How did you get my number?

4)  Drivers "squeezing in" before the freeway on-ramp into little more than a car length of space.
     Someone is really going to regret this after I activate my traffic cannon!

5)  Market predictions
     Listen, I don't know what the level of the S&P 500, DJIA, or NASDAQ will be at some future date.
     Neither do other forum participants or the so-called experts quoted in the media.

6)  Recession predictions
     Listen, I don't know when the next recession will start.
     Neither do other forum participants or the so-called experts quoted in the media.

7)  Technical outerwear around town
     A waterproof/breathable storm shell jacket is not required for walking a block to/from work.
     You're not summitting Mt. Rainier for crying out loud!

8)  Complaining about rain in Seattle
     You knew what you were getting into. Perhaps you should relocate to sunny Florida or Arizona?

9)  Customer Service
     Why is it that you always experience a high volume of calls irregardless of the day or time that the call is made?               Don't tell me that you appreciate my patience - just hire more people!

10) Errr... Get off my lawn!

I feel much better now :-)
Happy Festivus for all!

The Story of Festivus
Video

0 Kudos
retiredat48
Participant ○○○

@rila3400 wrote:

In no particular order...

9)  Customer Service
     Why is it that you always experience a high volume of calls irregardless of the day or time that the call is made?             

How about: Use of the word irregardless, which is not a word!!

Per googling it:  Many scholars maintain there is no such word as irregardless because regardless already means “without regard.” The -ir prefix is redundant.

And: Irregardless is sometimes incorrectly used instead of regardless, but is not usually considered correct in Standard English, as the negative prefix ir- merely duplicates the suffix -less and as such is redundant.

R48

chang
Valued Contributor

@cliff, I have kudoed all your posts, which should help boost you through the Contributor ranks quickly and reach "Valued". Also, I noticed you're a little light on badges.

Announcements

To learn more about the recent changes to Morningstar.com, please see the updated FAQ.

See recent posts and all our forums or access the old forums here.

You can read the community guidelines in