cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Add salt to the wound - more misery

Florida university says students tested positive for coronavirus after spring break trip

I bet that this is not just Florida, although people have been warning the Florida governor to close the beaches. These guys are going to spread the virus all over the country. Penny wise pound foolish.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Add salt to the wound - more misery

And the Darwin Award this year goes to...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

As so many things do, this falls under my favorite saying of the last several years: If it's not a problem for ME, it's not a problem!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

So much for the "best and the brightest". School was pretty much wasted on those imbeciles.

Highlighted
Contributor ○

@Gary1952 wrote:

So much for the "best and the brightest". School was pretty much wasted on those imbeciles.

I don't think it's so much them being imbeciles, but you combine hormones with shortsightedness and then mix in a healthy dose of selfishness, little empathy for others, with a feeling of invincibility, and you have a recipe for problematic behavior.  I did all KINDS of stupid stuff when I was eighteen to twenty-one!  I suspect you did as well?

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Maybe, but their generation is very self-absorbed and entitled.  I can guarantee you I would not have done spring break in this environment.

@racqueteer wrote:

@Gary1952 wrote:

I don't think it's so much them being imbeciles, but you combine hormones with shortsightedness and then mix in a healthy dose of selfishness, little empathy for others, with a feeling of invincibility, and you have a recipe for problematic behavior.  I did all KINDS of stupid stuff when I was eighteen to twenty-one!  I suspect you did as well?

Highlighted
Explorer ○○

24 March 2020 

If they weren’t young and dumb and consider themselves bulletproof, it would a lot hard for old men to send them off to be maimed and slaughtered in their wars.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Muggles208 wrote:

24 March 2020 

If they weren’t young and dumb and consider themselves bulletproof, it would a lot hard for old men to send them off to be maimed and slaughtered in their wars.

Draft was abolished in 1973.

Highlighted
Explorer ○○

24 March 2020

Abolishing the draft has allowed the old men to continue the U.S.’s longest war without very much dissent from the population since their sons and daughters were not dying, only those who volunteered are at risk.

To generalize, old men have been bellyaching about the younger generation being worthless since the dawn of time. I think it’s a problem of jealousy and failing memory. Make that selective memory.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@Muggles208 wrote:

24 March 2020

Abolishing the draft has allowed the old men to continue the U.S.’s longest war without very much dissent from the population since their sons and daughters were not dying, only those who volunteered are at risk.

To generalize, old men have been bellyaching about the younger generation being worthless since the dawn of time. I think it’s a problem of jealousy and failing memory. Make that selective memory.

Muggle wuggle - my man! That's a big +3

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Hi.

The only way I see getting out of these long drawn out wars is to bring back the draft. 

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

SC just closed the whole state. Note that this happened just after spring break. One reason he did it was a lot of talk about the number if NY license plates coming from where the national media has everyone dying from the virus. Exaggeration, yes, but I think you get the point. 

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

I doubt bringing back the draft will help much. The rich and the otherwise connected will still be able to find medical professionals willing to diagnose their offspring with 'bone spurs' or similar. War belongs to the other 99%.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@stormy wrote:

I doubt bringing back the draft will help much. The rich and the otherwise connected will still be able to find medical professionals willing to diagnose their offspring with 'bone spurs' or similar. War belongs to the other 99%.

How ironic that the big orange haired draft dodger has taken the FIRST positive steps to, hopefully, end the longest running 'police action' in our country's history!  8-))

Highlighted
Participant ○○

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

To get back on topic...

Just how useful is a college education for a majority of students. We've been fed the story of graduate high school, go to college and then get a good paying job. In the meantime, trade schools and blue collar and manufacturing jobs have disappeared. I understand going to college for the big professional positions. We need more doctors, nurses, pharmacists and other medical trained personnel. And certainly some finance people and teachers. 

But so many are going on athletic scholarships, or are just going to get away from parents and play for a few years. College years has been categorized as opportunity to expand, make mistakes and learn from them, and mature to take responsibility for your life. 

So much is going to change with the new generations moving into the mature adult age group. 

We haven't had a Black Swan event like this in decades. 

9/11 changed travel. The TSA. Checking bags. What's allowed on planes. 

This pandemic will change life for us as well. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@ECEPROF wrote:

Florida university says students tested positive for coronavirus after spring break trip

I bet that this is not just Florida, although people have been warning the Florida governor to close the beaches. These guys are going to spread the virus all over the country. Penny wise pound foolish.

But then: 

New Orleans mayor says she would have canceled Mardi Gras if Trump administration had warned about c...

No words here can describe this 'fake' news, from YESTERDAY!  Seems like this babe would be a better candidate for the dems the fredo corona cuomo, let alone Barrista joe or the bern!  8-)

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Hi Stormy.

I totally agree. The rich and power full have always found a way to stay out of wars. I was in and out of the Army prior to the Viet Nam war and was ridiculed for being against it. I watched the privileged get deferments, college, medical etc. and the old axiom was true; "A rich mans war fought by poor people". So, people went to Canada and rioted. Then came the lottery, did not slow much down. Then came the "professional" military. The Air Force and Navy had to start drafting and the was expensive. They had very high tech. jobs that took a long time to train for and could not afford a rotating labor force through them. Train 1 guy for 10 years instead of 4 or 5. It also got rid of the riots on the college campuses as they now had confidence that they would not have to serve. The problem now is; "if these people are willing to go, so be it". The Europeans got it right. If the Americans are dumb enough to be the worlds cop, the better for us. They talk a lot, but I don't see them coming up with much regardless of Trump. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I am a strong advocate for college education and beyond.

We came to the US 31 years ago when our kids were 4 and 6 years old. My son went to Williams College for his bachelor's, Medical School at NYU, residence at Jackson Memorial in Florida and Fellowship at Montefiori NY. Now, he is a vascular surgeon working in south Florida. My daughter went to U-Penn for her bachelor's and then she obtained a Master's in computer sciences. She completed her studies in Ann Arbor with a PhD degree in psycholinguistics. Now she's working for Google in NYC.

I know our family is just a case of one, but I feel that nothing beats high education when you don't belong to the 5%.  

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

"I feel that nothing beats high education when you don't belong to the 5%. "

+1. Amen to it.

We are also similar except that we came to US from Canada 41 years ago. Look at the earning power.

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.