Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

A map of people in Financial distress during COVID 19

This map is from Yahoo Finance.

50827570-f466-11ea-a975-10b421159458.png

I was surprised to see Tennessee was ranked at 19 (more than 25). I read recently from a Nashville TV news that Tenn. has run out of the cash for unemplyment pay. I do not know how they are going to manage. Michigan seems to be handling it better because it is at 35. Even IL is at 28 (light orange). My former state of Ky is ranked at 14 - light Red.

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: A map of people in Financial distress during COVID 19

Back in 2009-2010 CA went into the red on unemployment benefits. They borrowed from the federal government. I would assume TN would do the same. TN did pay the $300/400 that was allowed in place of the $600 per month until the end of July.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

The criteria for that map is so out of left field that I'd laugh if it wasn't sad that people would take this as valid. 

Searches for the word "debt"? Good lord how do these Yahoo actually come up with this stuff/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

VT is the 51st state?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Although it is a bit premature (and from my lips to Allah's ears) they are counting DC as a state. Someone (?) should report this to Ryan/M*.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@pudman wrote:

Although it is a bit premature (and from my lips to Allah's ears) they are counting DC as a state. Someone (?) should report this to Ryan/M*.

LOL.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

They are including Washington D.C. as a separate entity which makes for 51 "states".

It doesn't surprise me that Indiana is ranked 3rd.  Something like 60% of the states revenue comes from sales taxes and the economy was shut down.  That also increase the late payments on credit cards and number of bankruptcies.  Driving through the nearest city and there are a lot of shuttered storefronts and some regional department stores have filed for bankruptcy.  There is more to come I'm sure.

This is exactly why we had to open our economy back up and get people back to work.  By the way, the predicted huge increase in number of deaths did not materialize and that second wave that was coming up from the South has yet to hit. I hope it never does.

There was an increase in number of cases per day but that quickly flattened out but at a higher level.  There was no increase in the number of deaths per day.  Half the state has a positivity rating of 0.5 (I'm not sure I know what that means.  This is a new metric that is being tracked.)  All except two counties are less than 2.0.  As far as I know most of our schools are open.  The local ones are.  Many of the local restaurants are packed on Friday as was Sunday's breakfast after church.  My wife and I had to hunt for a restaurant last Friday that still had empty tables.  Inside seating has been open for weeks now.

https://www.coronavirus.in.gov/

Hopefully, by opening things up we will see a reversal in some of the economic problems people are having but many of the stores and jobs will be gone forever.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Mustang 

I was surprised to see Indiana in a worst shape. IL and IN are close but I could not understand why the distress level is bad in IN compared to all the adajcent states. Even KY is better than IN.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@ECEPROF wrote:

@Mustang 

I was surprised to see Indiana in a worst shape. IL and IN are close but I could not understand why the distress level is bad in IN compared to all the adajcent states. Even KY is better than IN.

I was too.  I know things are bad but I would have thought they were no worse than the neighboring states. I looked at WalletHub's analysis.  They rated the states in six categories with each category worth 16.66 points.  The categories were credit score, number of people with accounts in distress, average number of accounts in distress, change in bankruptcy filings Jan to July, debt search interest index, and states where people need loans.  There seems to be some overlap in categories.  Indiana scored lowest in credit scores and bankruptcy filings and in the middle everywhere else.

I'm only guessing but it has to be those two categories driving the results.  When looking at the best states vs. worst states in changes from August to January Indiana doesn't show up in any of the comparisons.

This is one organization's ranking.  Another organization using different categories and metrics could have very different results.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Mustang 

"credit scores and bankruptcy filings and in the middle everywhere else"

These represent debt service. Mortgages do not apply here because I have been using such a deferrement since April but also paying. It is all credit card debts and non-payment of at least the minimum payment. If they are not paying even the minimum, that is bad. I had three zero interest credit card debts earlier this year and I was paying the minimum. I still have one more such a zero interest but I have to pay the minimum until March 21. My credit score is close 800. In fact, there was a 0/0 balance transfer offer two months ago. My wife said "no more zero percent." So, if one pays the minimum, it should not affect the credit score.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@pudman wrote:

Even if you were Allah’s bosom buddy, DC wouldn’t get statehood before the Sun goes supernova. Thank God.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

@chang 

I hope you're right. But depending on how it goes in November, Democrats have already said they might do away with Filibuster rule, so majority rules in Senate. So Senate proposes statehood for PR and DC, House passes, and Biden/Harris sign. That would be 6 Blue Electoral Votes, 4 Blue Senators and 2 Blue Congressmen. 

Republicans will never have a say in legislation ever again. 

It could be quite ugly in 2021.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@astrokng wrote:

@chang 

I hope you're right. But depending on how it goes in November, Democrats have already said they might do away with Filibuster rule, so majority rules in Senate. So Senate proposes statehood for PR and DC, House passes, and Biden/Harris sign. That would be 6 Blue Electoral Votes, 4 Blue Senators and 2 Blue Congressmen. 

Not a chance. I'm expecting WH + H + S all in GOP hands next Jan. I don't think the majority of Americans agree with erasing history and burning the country to the ground to build a new Venezuela.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

To The Russian Who Has Hijacked and Hacked Chang's Account : I have reported you to Ryan and M* for violating the rules against political rants. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Not a rant at all. But this thread was pure politics from the get-go. Just waiting for Ryan to delete it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Sorry Ivan, but you can't fool this Yankee Noodle Dandy. It will take more than your clumsy borscht propagandski to trick us. Not all of us just fell off the FOX turnip truck. I strongly suggest you release Deputy Chang before he RELEASES THE KRAKEN on your trumputin bootie.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@astrokng wrote:

@chang 

It takes a 2/3 vote of house and Senate to become a state so eliminating filibuster rule don’t mean doodley. And why would PR want to become a state because residents would have to pay federal income tax? last time PR residents were asked about becoming a state in 2012 a majority said no. It’s on the ballot again this year.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@chang wrote:

@astrokng wrote:

@chang 

Not a chance. I'm expecting WH + H + S all in GOP hands next Jan.

I don't think the majority of Americans agree with erasing history and burning the country to the ground to build a new Venezuela.

chang, watching a lot of Fox "News" in Bangcock?

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Nope, don’t have a TV set.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@chang wrote:

Nope, don’t have a TV set.

Now you do. I even turned on FOX News for you.

TV.png

0 Kudos
Announcements