Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

A little CV19 levity, anyone?

14 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Re: A little CV19 levity, anyone?

You may also get a chuckle out of these:

> - My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

> - Jewish Irony: Passover canceled because of a plague.

> - Many parents are just about to discover the teacher is not the problem.

> - Sneezes went from bless you to **bleep** you real quick.

> - Reminder: 9pm is the time to remove your day pajamas and put your night pajamas on.

> - My cleaning lady just messaged to say she will be working from home and will send me instructions on what to do.

Enjoy,

Fred

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Unfortunately, a LOT of the virus related humor is political, in BOTH directions!  I suggest, to @RyanM, that any and all posts, in this thread, be permitted to stand and that the thread not be locked.  In return, there are to be NO comments on any of them by anyone and, should someone break the covenant, the post itself be deleted, but the thread not locked.

ElLobo, de la casa de la toro caca grande
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@ElLobo I have no issue with the OP or the first reply. Your Archie Bunker reply was outright racist and I removed it. Thanks for showing everyone who might have seen it where the line is.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I think All in the Family was the first show to take on racism head on. It showed the ignorance behind it all, in a comical way easily understood by the public. Norman Lear showed real genius in presenting it that way and it reached millions of people.

El Lobo's post was a reference to those in power who insist on calling Covid-19 the China Virus, for very questionable reasons. I doubt the intent was racist, although it should probably be considered political.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@RyanM wrote:

@ElLobo I have no issue with the OP or the first reply. Your Archie Bunker reply was outright racist and I removed it. Thanks for showing everyone who might have seen it where the line is.

"I think All in the Family was the first show to take on racism head on. It showed the ignorance behind it all, in a comical way easily understood by the public. Norman Lear showed real genius in presenting it that way and it reached millions of people."

Unfortunately, Ryan, you are too young to understand nuances of political humor in today's world.  Most of us will note that Archie, in the meme, is obviously talking to Mike Stevic, the classic anti-war anti-establishment character in 'All in the Family', a character played by the actor, Rob Riner, the classic anti-war anti-GOP anti-Trump, fully dem establishment actor, often in the news today.

But you be 'da man, Ryan, and you are NOT a liberal leftist communist!   8-))

"The show broke ground in its depiction of issues previously considered unsuitable for a U.S. network television comedy, such as racism, antisemitism, infidelity, homosexuality[1], women's liberation, rape, religion, miscarriages, abortion, breast cancer, the Vietnam War, menopause, and impotence. Through depicting these controversial issues, the series became arguably one of television's most influential comedic programs, as it injected the sitcom format with more dramatic moments and realistic, topical conflicts.[2]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@DJANG0 wrote:

I think All in the Family was the first show to take on racism head on. It showed the ignorance behind it all, in a comical way easily understood by the public. Norman Lear showed real genius in presenting it that way and it reached millions of people.

El Lobo's post was a reference to those in power who insist on calling Covid-19 the China Virus, for very questionable reasons. I doubt the intent was racist, although it should probably be considered political.

There is absolutely no humor or reasonable debate about whether the virus is called the China virus, the Huhan virus, or the Covid 19 virus!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

devastatedfam.jpg

Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@ElLobo wrote:

@RyanM wrote:

"I think All in the Family was the first show to take on racism head on. It showed the ignorance behind it all, in a comical way easily understood by the public. Norman Lear showed real genius in presenting it that way and it reached millions of people."

Unfortunately, Ryan, you are too young to understand nuances of political humor in today's world.  Most of us will note that Archie, in the meme, is obviously talking to Mike Stevic, the classic anti-war anti-establishment character in 'All in the Family', a character played by the actor, Rob Riner, the classic anti-war anti-GOP anti-Trump, fully dem establishment actor, often in the news today.

But you be 'da man, Ryan, and you are NOT a liberal leftist communist!   8-))

"The show broke ground in its depiction of issues previously considered unsuitable for a U.S. network television comedy, such as racism, antisemitism, infidelity, homosexuality[1], women's liberation, rape, religion, miscarriages, abortion, breast cancer, the Vietnam War, menopause, and impotence. Through depicting these controversial issues, the series became arguably one of television's most influential comedic programs, as it injected the sitcom format with more dramatic moments and realistic, topical conflicts.[2]

I’m a big fan of All in the Family and I get Archie Bunker. I know he was the butt of the joke, an anti-hero, and I know Carroll O’Connor held none of the character’s bigoted views. I understand the POV of the meme you posted. 

That being said, I can’t let racial epithets be posted here, regardless of the context. I’m sure you understand. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

parenthairdressers.jpg

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

"I’m a big fan of All in the Family and I get Archie Bunker. I know he was the butt of the joke, an anti-hero, and I know Carroll O’Connor held none of the character’s bigoted views. I understand the POV of the meme you posted.

That being said, I can’t let racial epithets be posted here, regardless of the context. I’m sure you understand."

No I don't but you be 'da boss!  8-))

So, for the sake of argument, what would you do ifn I posted a passage from the book, "To Kill a Mockingbird", a classic of modern American literature, winning the Pulitzer Prize, from 1960, which contained tons of racial epithets?  Would you censure/delete it?

(Archie never used the term in Mockingbird, btw!)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

@RyanM.... what's your thought about a GoFundMe account to raise money to help motivate the vendor here to provide an ignore/mute function? <G>

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Getting desperate?  Try a TP Victory Garden ....

TP Victory Garden.jpeg

Highlighted
Participant ○○

M*A*S*H and the Coronavirus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WuaDK0mTc4

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Next Video :https://youtu.be/OC2kGe4tu7E ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ If you liked this video ,like and share! Subscribe for more future videos...
0 Kudos
Announcements