cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

"Manager Investment in Fund"

"Manager Investment in Fund" is shown on the "People" tab. Anybody know if this refers to all share classes of the fund, or only to the share class being viewed? @Darrin?

The former would be the logical thing, since the reader is presumably interested in the manager's investment in the fund, but not which share class.

I happened to notice that, according to M*, the manager of TRMCX has nothing invested in the fund, which is hard to believe. (M* also shows nothing invested in TRMIX, by the way.)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: "Manager Investment in Fund"

@chang wrote:

"Manager Investment in Fund" is shown on the "People" tab. Anybody know if this refers to all share classes of the fund, or only to the share class being viewed? @Darrin?

The former would be the logical thing, since the reader is presumably interested in the manager's investment in the fund, but not which share class.

I happened to notice that, according to M*, the manager of TRMCX has nothing invested in the fund, which is hard to believe. (M* also shows nothing invested in TRMIX, by the way.)

Would M* lie?

But on a deep dig:

See pg 97 of SAI for all Price funds,   https://www4.troweprice.com/pcs/pcs-literature/mvc/documentSAILink/PriceFundsStatementofAdditionalIn...

"Mid-Cap Value Fund   David J. Wallack   None [in MC Value Fund]   Over $1,000,000 [in MC Value Strategy]"

So, he runs other Price portfolios in MC-value style [separate accounts, CITs, customized institutional funds, etc] and he owns a good chunk there, but NONE in the retail MC Value Fund that M* reports on. Just as M* reports AUM of all classes, so does it report the PM ownership of all classes. There must be some personal principle involved as him owning $0 in the retail fund that he manages is very visible and public info.

From pg 105, he manages:

"David J. Wallack   5 [retail funds]   $15,199,046,823    1 [pool]   $3,817,073,790    1 [other]   $20,050,120"

YBB
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

As an aside, I have been following DoubleLine webcasts for 8 years since I retired.  In last Total Return webcast, Gundlach stated wrt investing in funds, all such investments for him are with DoubleLine.  And several years ago, he once stated his investment in DBLTX was in high 8 digits amount.  And he once stated his accountant warns him about being concentrated and he said, why not, he has most confidence in DoubleLine.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Manager Investment in Fund is not a guarantee of anything and why I don't pay attention to it.  It's a known fact that Gundlach is invested heavily in DBLTX but its performance is dismal in the last 1-3-5 years with ranking at 

Total Return % (06/12/2020)1-Year3-Year5-Year
DBLTX4.043.543.4
Rank in Category918178
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Since inception DBLTX has done just fine FD.  GO TROLL IN ANOTHER POND.

0 Kudos
Announcements