cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Follower ○○○

Re: Your Personal Top 5 Mutual Fund Holdings?

VG Wellesley

VG Wellington

Capital Opportunity

Health Care

tied pretty much between PONAX and Dividend Growth

Top two are about twice as much, each, as the next two, which again are close, and then with about half that amount again in the bottom two.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

After a managed muni account and I Bonds,

1.  VWINX

2.  SCHD

3.  VFIIX

4.  SCHX

5.  VBIAX

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

AKREX is a great fund. It has performed very well this year. One of the only managed funds I would consider  holding. I have owned it since 2014. 

@mrc wrote:

Cash/VMMXX - 19.38% (In IRA, so much cash since I rolled over a 401k a/c)

RLBGX - 11.04% (401 Account)

VDIGX - 9.29%

VMVFX - 7.88%

AKREX - 5.71% (I wish I had more in it, as I was in it almost from inception date. M* portfolio is showing that I made 2.5 times                               the investment)

VWIGX - 5.67% (Giving a 6th fund, in case Cash has to be ignored while providing top 5)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Fidelity large cap growth

CREF growth R3

QQQ

PNQI

UTG

NVG - only non equity fund invests in muni bonds. 5% yield.

First 2 were purchased after market hit bottom on March 23 with proceeds from other equity Funds which were Previously sold. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

AKRIX

FSMEX

QQQ

PSGAX

PRWCX

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

I am so upset that I missed getting into PSGAX.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Top 5:

1.  TIAA Traditional (guaranteed 3% interest; currently earning close to 4%)

2.  Fidelity 500 Index

3.  Vanguard Wellington

4.  Vanguard Federal Money Market ("Bucket 1" cash holding)

5.  Fidelity Extended Market Index (mid and small cap)

I've invested in the TIAA Traditional since 1977.  It's part of my "bond allocation" and makes up about 16% of my total retirement portfolio.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Top 5 Stock Funds

VGHAX                 Health Care Admiral

VPMAX                PRIMECAP Admiral

FLPSX                   Low Price Stock

FDEGX                  Growth Strategies

FDGRX                  Growth Companies

Top 5 Bond Funds

SPHIX                   High Income

FADMX                 Strategic Income

FAGIX                   Capital & Income

VBILX                    Int Term Bond Index

FCVSX                   Convertibles

These 10 funds are 31% of my portfolio. 

I bought the top 3 stock funds and FCVSX in 1992.  These four funds are in taxable accounts.  I retired two years ago and take out the distributions and LTCG’s from them for living expenses or investments for income.   As Cape Cod would say I have “tax cuffs” on them.   The other four bond funds in IRAs.

@rac98g  Thanks for starting this thread.  I would not use “highest conviction”regarding these 10 funds, “highest balances” is correct.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

VDIGX

VBTLX

VWIAX

VBIRX

VPMAX

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

After years of wandering in the wilderness and listening too much to the advice of others, I have simplified my total portfolio down to a bare bones set of funds.

1. Vwenx (Wellington)

2. Vwiax (Wellesley)

3. TIAA Traditional

4. PRWAX (Large cap growth)

Steve

For what it's worth, I dropped VDIGX because, to paraphrase Yogi BearBull, why wait for dividends to grow when you can get them now? AND, I need the income (with some total return growth but not as a be all end all consideration). I also wasn't terribly pleased with how VDIGX performed since February, downside protection supposedly being one of the fund's big selling points (which Pat disproved effectively in a previous thread). VWENX did "nearly" as well and PRWAX blew VIDGX away.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

My top six are temporary.   I am being fairly conservative now but plan to be > 70% equities by early next year.
1. TIAA Traditional
2. PRNHX  TRP New Horizon
3. PRWCX   TRP Capital Appreciation
4. BAGIX     Baird Aggregate Bond
5. VMFXX   Vanguard Federal Money Market
6. VWIAX    Wellesley Income

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

@Newer_Retiree wrote:

After years of wandering in the wilderness and listening too much to the advice of others, I have simplified my total portfolio down to a bare bones set of funds.

1. Vwenx (Wellington)

2. Vwiax (Wellesley)

3. TIAA Traditional

4. PRWAX (Large cap growth)

Steve

For what it's worth, I dropped VDIGX because, to paraphrase Yogi BearBull, why wait for dividends to grow when you can get them now? AND, I need the income (with some total return growth but not as a be all end all consideration). I also wasn't terribly pleased with how VDIGX performed since February, downside protection supposedly being one of the fund's big selling points (which Pat disproved effectively in a previous thread). VWENX did "nearly" as well and PRWAX blew VIDGX away.

Do you mind directing me to the thread with the VDIGX discussion you mentioned above?  BTW, I agree with the sentiment (with a 4% allocation - some of it even during the March blow up and some after that).  Seemed like the market is bent on disproving our notions - as the saying goes, the prejudiced are bound to be condemned!  Thanks.

Edit: Upon scanning this thread, I did not see DBLTX as folks' top 5 fund.   This can go along with VDIGX as a disappointment this year.  I bought this on March 19 as a re-entry into fixed income OEFs and held it for the next three weeks to see it rise only 0.5% while the other core and core plus bond funds took off.   A lot of my bets coming out of the March lows did not work out.  Some funds provide an illusion of success during stable markets - sort of fair weather friends.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Some of Pat Morgan’s analysis/comments on Vdigx can be found in a thread I initiated in May on matching Vdigx or Vfiax, or even Vanguard’s health fund, with Wellesley.

I found them persuasive.

Steve

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

#1 VDIGX

#2 BRK.B

#3 C Fund

#4 VXUS

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

1. VTMFX Vanguard Tax Advantage LC Balanced Fund ( Brokerage Acct. )

2. VBILX Intermediate Bond Index Fund( IRA)

3. TIAA TRAD. (AT Annuity)

4. VFIAX SP 500 ( IRA)

5. VCOBX  Vanguard Core Bond Fund (IRA)

Been retired since 2013. 

MJK.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

In descending order: Price new Horizons...price blue Chip growth...Vanguard Wellington admiral....Vanguard target date...price Capital Appreciation.   Anyone's opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Anitya “A lot of my bets coming out of the March lows did not work out.”

It would be an interesting thread to ask people—who made portfolio changes (buys and sells) in March-April—what their most and/or least successful buys (or sells) were.

My most successful buy/sell was selling VMNVX (Global Min Vol) and buying VWILX (Intl Growth). I added several more times to VWILX, which is now my largest equity fund.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Warren1

Sell Vanguard target date and buy Capital Appreciation.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

successful swaps:

Sold Windsor II bought QQQ

sold SPLV bought QQQ

sold CREF stock bought CREF Growth

Successful buys: HD, WMT, CVX, AAPL

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

VFIRX - VG short term treasury

TBCIX - TRP blue chip growth

VWENX - VG Wellington

VWUAX - VG US Growth

RGVGX - AF US Govt (Int Term)

My largest holding is, unfortunately, cash.  That is because of a large project to rebuild my house due to mold and structural issues.  The project could not be postponed because of my wife's health issues.  I had to liquidate a ton of assets at exactly the wrong time.  

0 Kudos
Announcements