cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
     
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: Your Personal Top 5 Mutual Fund Holdings?


@chang wrote:

@Anitya “A lot of my bets coming out of the March lows did not work out.”

It would be an interesting thread to ask people—who made portfolio changes (buys and sells) in March-April—what their most and/or least successful buys (or sells) were.

 


On February 27th, I moved my portfolio to all cash/MM by selling USMV, PCI, PUCZX and JMUIX. Since April 1st, my portfolio consists only of bond OEFs, the most successful of which are ANBEX, GIBLX and SCCIX.

As a retired and conservative investor, I agree with @chang when he said recently: "I don't really need a lot more money - but I certainly don't want to lose a lot. I need to remind myself to err on the side of caution."

I think the equity market is currently quite overvalued, and unemployment is going to remain elevated. That will affect business behavior, consumption, savings. The economy will disappoint the optimistic assumptions largely built into asset prices.

Hence, I feel quite comfortable at present to invest primarily in high quality intermediate core/core-plus bond funds, until we get a handle on this devastating pandemic by at least "flattening the curve" in the economically important regions of this country.

Fred

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Your Personal Top 5 Mutual Fund Holdings?

FBGRX, FOCPX, FIVFX, FDEGX & FSMDX - 5 of the 6 I hold in a Roth - the other is FLCOX

Capital
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Re: Your Personal Top 5 Mutual Fund Holdings?


@fred495 wrote:

@chang wrote:

@Anitya “A lot of my bets coming out of the March lows did not work out.”

It would be an interesting thread to ask people—who made portfolio changes (buys and sells) in March-April—what their most and/or least successful buys (or sells) were.

 


On February 27th, I moved my portfolio to all cash/MM by selling USMV, PCI, PUCZX and JMUIX. Since April 1st, my portfolio consists only of bond OEFs, the most successful of which are ANBEX, GIBLX and SCCIX.

As a retired and conservative investor, I agree with @chang when he said recently: "I don't really need a lot more money - but I certainly don't want to lose a lot. I need to remind myself to err on the side of caution."

I think the equity market is currently quite overvalued, and unemployment is going to remain elevated. That will affect business behavior, consumption, savings. The economy will disappoint the optimistic assumptions largely built into asset prices.

Hence, I feel quite comfortable at present to invest primarily in high quality intermediate core/core-plus bond funds, until we get a handle on this devastating pandemic by at least "flattening the curve" in the economically important regions of this country.

Fred


Congrats to both of you.  M* portfolio x-Ray says I am at 70% equities.  I would open a new thread for the topic Chang suggested.  I would prefer to leave this thread for the Subject and slight variations, such as changes in the top 5 funds.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: Your Personal Top 5 Mutual Fund Holdings?


@Anitya wrote:

I would open a new thread for the topic Chang suggested.  I would prefer to leave this thread for the Subject and slight variations, such as changes in the top 5 funds.  

 

That's a good idea, @Anitya. Shall I assume that you will follow up and "open a new thread for the topic Chang suggested"? If you decide to follow through, I shall be looking forward to it.

Thanks, and good luck.

Fred 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Your Personal Top 5 Mutual Fund Holdings?


@chang wrote:

 

It would be an interesting thread to ask people—who made portfolio changes (buys and sells) in March-April—what their most and/or least successful buys (or sells) were.

My most successful buy/sell was selling VMNVX (Global Min Vol) and buying VWILX (Intl Growth). I added several more times to VWILX, which is now my largest equity fund.


Ah, you are agnostic re Pyramiding Up, but I see you are very successful in doing it!  Per the chart, you bought VWILX at higher and higher prices...no?

Congratulations.

R48

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Re: Your Personal Top 5 Mutual Fund Holdings?


@fred495 wrote:

@Anitya wrote:

I would open a new thread for the topic Chang suggested.  I would prefer to leave this thread for the Subject and slight variations, such as changes in the top 5 funds.  

 

That's a good idea, @Anitya. Shall I assume that you will follow up and "open a new thread for the topic Chang suggested"? If you decide to follow through, I shall be looking forward to it.

Thanks, and good luck.

Fred 


Sorry, Fred.  I am happy to participate as time permits but I do not have the energy to moderate posters, as an OP.   I am also happy to reply or exchange ideas by private messages.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Re: Your Personal Top 5 Mutual Fund Holdings?

FBALX; fidelity balanced; over half of total portfolio

PONAX; pimco income

FXAIX; fidelity sp 500

QQQ; Invesco NASDAQ 100

FSMAX; fidelity extended market

 

From mid-March to early May, I reduced total positions from 9 to 6; increased equity from 53 to 65 percent, reduced foreign, small, and emerging, increased remaining bond quality.

I've never before had over half of my portfolio in a single holding. Trying to simplify and reduce tinkering impulses.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Your Personal Top 5 Mutual Fund Holdings?

1.  Wellesley

2. Fido Total Bond Index

3. Wellington

4.  Pretty much equal amounts of VG ST Treasury, Total Bond index, and ST TIPS

5. TR Price Blue Chip Growth (TRBCX)

Conservative 30/70 port.

 

 

 

 

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Your Personal Top 5 Mutual Fund Holdings?


@retiredat48 wrote:

@chang wrote:

It would be an interesting thread to ask people—who made portfolio changes (buys and sells) in March-April—what their most and/or least successful buys (or sells) were.

My most successful buy/sell was selling VMNVX (Global Min Vol) and buying VWILX (Intl Growth). I added several more times to VWILX, which is now my largest equity fund.


Ah, you are agnostic re Pyramiding Up, but I see you are very successful in doing it!  Per the chart, you bought VWILX at higher and higher prices...no?


@retiredat48 Yes, at higher and higher prices, but always on a little dip of 2-5%. (I bought a little VWILX on Friday, and it went up 2.2% today!)

Actually, I am a terrible PU investor. I have so many stories about good investments that I didn’t add to because I was waiting for “the big dip” while it just ran away from me, up, up and away.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Your Personal Top 5 Mutual Fund Holdings?


@chang wrote:

@retiredat48 wrote:

@chang wrote:

It would be an interesting thread to ask people—who made portfolio changes (buys and sells) in March-April—what their most and/or least successful buys (or sells) were.

My most successful buy/sell was selling VMNVX (Global Min Vol) and buying VWILX (Intl Growth). I added several more times to VWILX, which is now my largest equity fund.


Ah, you are agnostic re Pyramiding Up, but I see you are very successful in doing it!  Per the chart, you bought VWILX at higher and higher prices...no?


@retiredat48 Yes, at higher and higher prices, but always on a little dip of 2-5%. (I bought a little VWILX on Friday, and it went up 2.2% today!)

Actually, I am a terrible PU investor. I have so many stories about good investments that I didn’t add to because I was waiting for “the big dip” while it just ran away from me, up, up and away.


That's the point.

PyrUp attempts to solve the behavioral issue, which is: most investors cannot pull the trigger, especially with buying more.  They want the perfect price.

Yes, you can buy the dips (I do a lot); but you must ensure each buy is at higher prices.  Otherwise, you are buying into a downtrend.  You obviously bought VWILX at higher and higher prices.  Welcome to the Pyr Up club!

R48

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Re: Your Personal Top 5 Mutual Fund Holdings?

I know a poster named Cheryl Boca was waiting for the perfect price back in March to get in, but don't think it got there.  Did she ever buy in?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Re: Your Personal Top 5 Mutual Fund Holdings?

my top holdings in our IRAs are not mutual funds 

DIA

VHT

QQQ 

Schd 

VUG

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: Your Personal Top 5 Mutual Fund Holdings?

FCNTX held since 1994

(VMMXX...second largest holding for now, but obviously not an equity and/or bond investment)

PRWCX held since 2004

PRNHX held since 2020 (rollover from 401k)

VGHAX held since 1994

VPCCX held since 2004

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

Re: Your Personal Top 5 Mutual Fund Holdings?

PRWCX

PRNHX

AKRIX

VWENX

AUEIX

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Re: Your Personal Top 5 Mutual Fund Holdings?

1. VWIAX  (Wellesley Admiral)

2. VASIX  (Life Strategy Income)

3. VWENX (Wellington)

4. VTSAX (Total market)

5. VDADX (Dividend Appreciation)

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Your Personal Top 5 Mutual Fund Holdings?

Okay, I'll play.

1. PIMIX

2. VWENX

3. FLPSX

4.  MATFX

5. POAGX

Just below TRBCX, VDIGX, VGHCX, PRWAX  (in equal amounts)

 

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Re: Your Personal Top 5 Mutual Fund Holdings?

Revised-Aug 1

FAGCX =  21.65 %

SDSCX = 20.46 %

ACFOX = 16.83 %

DFDIX = 13.20 %

BPTRX=  6.59%  

I'm a fund trader!

 

 

0 Kudos
Announcements