cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Warren1
Explorer ○○

What are your top 3 favorite mutual fund families?

My favorite top 3 fund families, in order of preference, based on returns, consistancy, fees, professionalism, are:   1. T. Rowe Price  2. Primecap  3. Vanguard.  What are your choices?

0 Kudos
42 Replies
NoFriends1
Explorer ○○○

Re: What are your top 3 favorite mutual fund families?

1. Fidelity,

2.T.Rowe Price, &

3. American Funds.

Signed,

NoFriends1

0 Kudos
Warren1
Explorer ○○

Thank you!

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
0 Kudos
racqueteer
Participant ○○○

That's a pretty solid set of choices, and one with which many will concur.  You'll probably get at least a few votes for American Funds and Fidelity (one already); many of which (American) are now available without the loads associated previously.  Low-cost ETFs are taking a bite out of funds, however.

rforno
Participant ○

TRP, American, Vanguard  ... I own several from each, for different reasons/purposes/needs

0 Kudos
steelpony10
Participant ○○

Pimco (CEF’s), Vanguard (ETF’s), Nuveen (munis). 

FD1001
Valued Contributor

My favorites are the ones that make money from me. I definitely don't look at fund family but managers.  The reason is simple, not every VG or TRP fund is great so why would I look at family funds and/or own/buy blindly a fund from that shop? On the other hand, I can find a great fund/manager from a small shop.

The following is more important for me, suppose I tell you must hold a fund for 30 years without selling it, what funds would you select? mine will be indexes + the only managed funds are Wellington+Wellelsley funds at Vanguard(VWIAX,VWENX,VWEAX,VGWAX,VGYAX)

Common sense is not common  :-)

Mustang
Explorer ○○○

Vanguard, American Funds, and Fidelity.

0 Kudos
fred495
Participant ○○○

As a retired and fairly conservative investor, I have the majority of my portfolio in bond OEFs and a CEF or two. Hence my top 3 favorite fund families are PIMCO, PIMCO and PIMCO.

Fred

OverTheHill
Explorer ○

Vanguard, TRP, American

0 Kudos
yogibearbull
Valued Contributor

Fund families have their strengths - stocks, bonds, OEFs/ETFs/CEFs, etc. So, the question [and answers] needs more focus.

YBB
0 Kudos
Exactduke
Explorer ○○

Vanguard, Fidelity & TRowe Price.  I have IRA's with all three.  And TRP also has my 401k.  All 3 have excellent funds, good customer service & reasonable fees.  Though it's had to beat Vanguard for the lowest expenses.   

0 Kudos
GLP333
Follower ○○○

1. Vanguard

2. T Rowe Price

3. Everyone Else

0 Kudos
Recordman
Explorer ○○

American, Dodge & Cox and Vanguard. I like the team management idea.

0 Kudos
Bayside
Explorer ○

1. Vanguard (great overall)

2. Dodge and Cox (great active management with fairly low costs)

3. Fidelity (great overall)

0 Kudos
retiredat48
Participant ○○○

Here is the then...and now, for me:      

1970's                                                                   2019

2/3 of money at Fidelity                                   2/3 of money at Vanguard

1/3 of money at Vanguard                                1/3 of money at Fidelity

Favored TR Price for selected funds                 Favor TR Price and PIMCO for selected funds

If you think there is a message there somewhere...there is.

R48

0 Kudos
FatKat
Participant ○○○

I like investing with Vanguard best and my favorite fund is PRIMECAP, VPMAX. I like Fidelity best for the web format, their sector funds and for trades, but I like TRP mutual funds best overall. I have Vanguard and Fidelity and a small house where I have most of my individual bonds.

cegibbs
Participant ○

1. T. Rowe Price:  Excellent conservatively managed GARP style investment choices   Outstanding corporate culture and investor communication.  Stable management with strong depth of breadth of analysts providing well researched investment opportunities across many financial assets.
  2. Vanguard:  Great way to. access the smart folks at Wellington Management at very low costs.  Both Vanguard Wellington and Vanguard Wellesley could be held forever without losing a moment of sleep.  Low cost index funds.
  3. Fidelity:  The very best customer service, particularly the back office operations.  Access to T. Rowe Price and American Funds offerings at NTF.  Low cost index funds. Also have bond shops that I would potentially use at some point NTF (i.e., Baird, Fidelity, Western Asset).  
Warren1
Explorer ○○

Great answer, thank you!!!! The only thing I disagree with is Fidelity since their fund results for different funds are too widely different.  They seem to have some great funds and some very bad ones. Seems they are stretched too thin for top analysts and fund managers.  Just my opinion. I'm not an expert. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
0 Kudos
dtconroe
Contributor ○○

1. PIMCO: Bond expertise in wide array of excellent bond funds

2. Voya: Solid Risk Managed bond funds, with great performance with low risk

3. T.RowePrice: Overall excellent company with a wide array of fund options, and very shareholder friendly that will close funds when they get too large to be effective.

0 Kudos
Announcements

To learn more about the recent changes to Morningstar.com, please see the updated FAQ.

See recent posts and all our forums or access the old forums here.

You can read the community guidelines in