cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Seafarer Fund (SIGIX) - Andrew Foster commentary

Here's a chart for the last 3 months of Matthews MATFX, Artisan APDYX, Seafarer SIGIX, D&C DODFX and Thornburg TIBIX.

About 3 mths ago, I sold DODFX and TIBIX and bought VWILX and MATFX (and I have continued buying). Trades and explanations were provided in real time on the BSW thread. As a general rule, 3/4 of my decisions are bad. However, this one wasn't.

Regarding SIGIX .......... I still don't know. I've held onto SIGIX, neither selling nor buying since my original purchase in 2015. It's a rare EM fund that has a balanced (value + growth + income) mandate, low expenses, and a successful, intelligent and transparent manager. It has everything going for it except a good record.

Am I the only one left who owns it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

"What happened in the last 3 months?           ...SIGIX 17.7%...MATFX+FSEAX 35.1%"

@FD1001 

SIGIX does have a slightly lower SD than FSEAX. I suppose that's something.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@chang wrote:

Here's a chart for the last 3 months of Matthews MATFX, Artisan APDYX, Seafarer SIGIX, D&C DODFX and Thornburg TIBIX.

About 3 mths ago, I sold DODFX and TIBIX and bought VWILX and MATFX (and I have continued buying). Trades and explanations were provided in real time on the BSW thread. As a general rule, 3/4 of my decisions are bad. However, this one wasn't.

Regarding SIGIX .......... I still don't know. I've held onto SIGIX, neither selling nor buying since my original purchase in 2015. It's a rare EM fund that has a balanced (value + growth + income) mandate, low expenses, and a successful, intelligent and transparent manager. It has everything going for it except a good record.

Am I the only one left who owns it?

chang, I too have held onto SIGIX. I invested with Andrew Foster from his days with Matthews and have confidence in him.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Hootz wrote:

chang, I too have held onto SIGIX. I invested with Andrew Foster from his days with Matthews and have confidence in him.

I believe I will hold as well. For three reasons:

1. It is not a huge position (not tiny either, though) and won't make or break my financial success or failure. It's just one cog in a big machine.

2. I'm not that confident in Matthews, and while I feel pretty good owning the two funds that I have, I wouldn't necessarily want to sell SIGIX and move all the proceeds into the Matthews funds.

3. If I did sell SIGIX, you can be absolutely certain that it would rocket upward, and whatever fund(s) I move the proceeds into would plunge.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Well, this chart is very clear:

ScreenHunter 799.png

Incredible MOMENTUM for FSEAX and MATFX.  Surely the move two standard deviations above their 200-day moving average is just the beginning?  Disclosure:  I've owned FSEAX and MATFX since inception, even earlier I think. 

N.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I've owned FSEAX and MATFX since inception, even earlier I think.“

LOL!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: MATFX / MITEX

Another kick-ass day for MATFX. Underweight China at your own peril.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

While I agree with Chang. Cannot argue with numbers. 

ARTYX has done surprisingly equally well with much less china stake than MATFX. I should have invested more in ARTYX.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@waffle wrote:

While I agree with Chang. Cannot argue with numbers. 

ARTYX has done surprisingly equally well with much less china stake than MATFX. I should have invested more in ARTYX.

I bought APDYX about a year ago, and yes it has done extremely well. Note that China is its #1 country at 37%

https://www.artisanpartners.com/individual-investors/investments/developing-world-team/developing-wo...

I have been hesitant to add a lot more to APDYX because it has significant manager risk. Kaufmann appears to be a gifted EM stock picker, but I cannot find any evidence that Artisan has a broader EM team or resources.

0 Kudos
Announcements