cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

yogibearbull
Valued Contributor

PRIMECAP Funds Explained

https://www.morningstar.com/articles/930350/primecaps-golden-lineup-its-six-funds-come-in-pair.html

".....Primecap’s six funds fall into three pairs.  Primecap Odyssey Aggressive Growth (POAGX) and  Vanguard Capital Opportunity (VHCOX) look for companies with rapid earnings growth, many of which are mid-, small-, and micro-cap stocks. Vanguard Capital Opportunity’s larger asset base puts more limitations on its ability to buy micro-cap stocks.  Primecap Odyssey Growth (POGRX) and  Vanguard Primecap (VPMCX) look for companies with rapid earnings growth and invest across the market-cap spectrum, with Vanguard Primecap’s larger asset base putting more limits on its flexibility.  Primecap Odyssey Stock (POSKX) and  Vanguard Primecap Core (VPCCX)look for companies that are attractive for a variety of reasons, including better than expected growth potential, mispriced assets, or turnaround potential....."

YBB
13 Replies
PaulR888
Participant ○○○

Re: PRIMECAP Funds Explained

The best of the bunch seems to be POAGX which is closed.  But even if open it would not fit into my portfolio.  I already have Mid Cap position players and already have health care and biotech covered and would be unwilling to carve out my current holdings to make it fit.  

0 Kudos
cegibbs
Participant ○

PaulR888,

Which funds are you using to cover those spaces in your portfolio?

0 Kudos
ResearchMed
Explorer ○○○

@PaulR888 wrote:

The best of the bunch seems to be POAGX which is closed.  But even if open it would not fit into my portfolio.  I already have Mid Cap position players and already have health care and biotech covered and would be unwilling to carve out my current holdings to make it fit.  

For PRIMECAP's closed funds (POAGX; this may not apply to the "Vanguard flavors"), IF you already hold it in one account, e.g., a 403b, where you cannot "transfer out in kind", PRIMECAP will allow a current owner of a specific fund to purchase that *same* fund in another account, e.g., IRA or taxable.  IF the vendor (e.g., Vanguard or Schwab) "doesn't believe this", then one needs to escalate it to a supervisory level, someone who can/will (there's the rub!) double check with PRIMECAP and then take care of it.

When we learned of this, we used it to get a small foothold (toehold, is more like it!) in an IRA, as we only had it in 403b accounts.

I don't know if this applies to the Vanguard PRIMECAP funds.  We didn't have any, so we couldn't "test" that.

RM

0 Kudos
Saratoga
Explorer ○

I hold VPMAX in my 457b account.   Vanguard says that I can purchase VPMAX in their IRA when I rollover my 457b account (presumably up to the amount I hold in 457b)..

0 Kudos
Kudzu
Explorer ○

I would recommend finding a way to make a Primecap fund fit into my portfolio.  These guys are good.

0 Kudos
chick
Follower ○○○

Not POGRX is gone to dumps. What happened?

@Kudzu wrote:

I would recommend finding a way to make a Primecap fund fit into my portfolio.  These guys are good.

0 Kudos
yogibearbull
Valued Contributor

@chick wrote:

@Kudzu wrote:

Just approaching June lows. What did you expect from it in a market selloff?   https://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=POGRX&p=D&yr=0&mn=6&dy=0&id=p91860636535

YBB
yogibearbull
Valued Contributor

Filled remainder of my VHCAX annual limit from VWIGX today - lateral shift.

YBB
0 Kudos
FatKat
Participant ○○○

@yogibearbull wrote:

You think that one is a good one to add money to? Food for thought?

0 Kudos
yogibearbull
Valued Contributor

@FatKat wrote:

@yogibearbull wrote:

You think that one is a good one to add money to? Food for thought?

As noted, mine was a lateral shift, from one equity to another equity, so market moves didn't matter.

YBB
FatKat
Participant ○○○

I just might do the same thing, having lots of VTSAX and small caps has been slow. Thanks

0 Kudos
FatKat
Participant ○○○

@chick wrote:

@Kudzu wrote:

I would not be too quick to sell it now. Contrary plays often pay off.

0 Kudos
FD1001
Valued Contributor

@cegibbs wrote:

PaulR888,

Which funds are you using to cover those spaces in your portfolio?

Did a quick research and found VLIFX(which would be my choice) as a good risk/reward fund.  I also looked for a high risk/reward and found MACGX.  See PV 3-year results(link)

PortfolioCAGRStdevBest YearWorst YearMax. DrawdownSharpe RatioSortino Ratio
VLIFX18.08% 11.72%28.99%1.71%-11.40% 1.372.31
MACGX26.60% 19.15%48.60%-12.08%-19.06% 1.272.45
POAGX16.15% 18.56%33.59%-6.93%-22.35% 0.831.24
0 Kudos
Announcements

To learn more about the recent changes to Morningstar.com, please see the updated FAQ.

See recent posts and all our forums or access the old forums here.

You can read the community guidelines in