cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Re: M* Charts for OEFs, ETFs, CEFs, Stocks - Old Style

Solved or there is a best answer. Go to solution.

@Cindy wrote:

Thanks so much YBB.

Is there anyway we can see "category returns" in "FUNDS"? I use that a lot to see the performance trends but it is no longer available in the new design.

@Cindy

I found the medalist category returns for funds by googling. Looks like it is for all funds. Cannot find it on the site. Here is the link

Nob
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@nobhead wrote:

@Cindy wrote:

Thanks so much YBB.

Is there anyway we can see "category returns" in "FUNDS"? I use that a lot to see the performance trends but it is no longer available in the new design.

@Cindy

I found the medalist category returns for funds by googling. Looks like it is for all funds. Cannot find it on the site. Here is the link

That is the answer.

@Cindy also asked this question in Morningstar.com FAQs and I answered it with the above link that was in my bookmark list.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Thank you. I had previously used this method in your post, but for the last few weeks I was taken to a page asking me to try Premium Membership. I would then go to the home page, check to see that I was logged in and then open a new window and would be able to get to the old format. That has not been working this week and my call to membership support was not helpful. However, when I used your link just now for VFINX it worked and by placing the ticker symbol of my actively managed fund in the quote box at the top of the VFINX page I was indeed taken back to the portfolio information of my fund with premium detail view. I hope Morningstar views this as an important feature and can make it more easily accessible. Shmu.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I think M* is dying.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

$0 commission fees are a death knell for mutual funds, and a substantial boost for stocks and ETFs. Morningstar’s coverage of actively managed mutual funds is quickly going the way of the dinosaurs, and their stock analyses and recommendations have proven to be no better than average at best with seemingly many more swings and misses than hits. I still read through the commentaries searching for info and insights that I haven’t found elsewhere, but it’s getting harder and harder to rationalize renewing my subscription. In addition, the financial metrics they provide are awkward and inadequate for making decisions independent of Morningstar’s point of view. A quick perusal of Value Line in comparison allows for an immediate sense of where the company stands financially and provides a base from which to explore further. Too bad, Morningstar used to be the gold standard for mutual fund investors to use to make smart and profitable decisions. Today, after decimating the screens that were once available to mutual fund investors, Morningstar appears to be weak by any standard and more than likely irrelevant as well.

Sent from my iPhone
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Don't think that is true at all. There are still many good performing OEFs that are NTF at Schwab etc. $0 transactions only bring them inline with NTF OEFs.

@Annoyed wrote:
$0 commission fees are a death knell for mutual funds, and a substantial boost for stocks and ETFs. Morningstar’s coverage of actively managed mutual funds is quickly going the way of the dinosaurs, and their stock analyses and recommendations have proven to be no better than average at best with seemingly many more swings and misses than hits. I still read through the commentaries searching for info and insights that I haven’t found elsewhere, but it’s getting harder and harder to rationalize renewing my subscription. In addition, the financial metrics they provide are awkward and inadequate for making decisions independent of Morningstar’s point of view. A quick perusal of Value Line in comparison allows for an immediate sense of where the company stands financially and provides a base from which to explore further. Too bad, Morningstar used to be the gold standard for mutual fund investors to use to make smart and profitable decisions. Today, after decimating the screens that were once available to mutual fund investors, Morningstar appears to be weak by any standard and more than likely irrelevant as well.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Yes, there are good performing OEFs that are fee free at Schwab, Fidelity etc, but expenses are considerably higher and restricted to selling at the end of the day, and sometimes restricted by the company to buying new shares only once every 60 or 90 days after selling shares, and other types of fees are often tacked on by various mutual fund companies as well, none of which apply to most ETF’s. Now, with no commissions, close to the entire universe of ETF’s and other similar products are available to trade without charge or restriction. With the exception of just a few outstanding mutual funds with managers with longtime track records that have stood the test of time ( and they are becoming fewer and fewer), there doesn’t appear to be any need for them for most investors, and as that business dies, so does that revenue for Morningstar, who has taken the inexplicable action of removing essential screens for mutual fund investors. Hard to know exactly what’s happening at Morningstar , but it clearly isn't good. They appear to be trying to pick up the slack with their individual stock coverage, but their analyses and recommendations are often off the mark, and the metrics they supply for an investor to arrive at his own conclusions independent of Morningstar’s recommendations are severely lacking. Add to that the fact that their website has had continual problems with glitches for years, and it’s hard to rationalize thinking of them as a valuable resource in any arena.

Sent from my iPhone
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

There was a time when you could find some useful data at M*.  Those days have passed.  I have compared my portfolio performance for my mutual funds with comparable ETFs.  Findings are that low cost ETFs have beaten results by about ninety percent of the mutual funds I now own.  The majority are equal or less than the performance of the ETFs.  It is just a quesion of when, not if, I will trade most of my expense laden mutual funds with their bloated management fees into ETFs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@hku wrote:

I have compared my portfolio performance for my mutual funds with comparable ETFs.  Findings are that low cost ETFs have beaten results by about ninety percent of the mutual funds I now own.  The majority are equal or less than the performance of the ETFs.  It is just a quesion of when, not if, I will trade most of my expense laden mutual funds with their bloated management fees into ETFs.

You may have a point if you are only talking about equity funds, but my experience with managed bond funds, especially multi-sector bond funds with excellent risk/reward profiles such as PIMIX, JMUIX, PUCZX, for example, doesn't seem to support your observation.

Fred

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Any thoughts on how to use the compare function of the new M* interactive charts would be appreciated. 

I have not been able to get them to produce accurate comparative charts.  For example, I tried to plot TORTX and MLPX to compare them and the interactive charts show YTD MLPX under-performing TORTX; however, stock charts indicate no meaningful difference in their YTD total return, which is corroborated by the old comparative charts provided in the OP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Maybe not showing reinvested dividends?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Anitya wrote:

Any thoughts on how to use the compare function of the new M* interactive charts would be appreciated. 

I have not been able to get them to produce accurate comparative charts.  For example, I tried to plot TORTX and MLPX to compare them and the interactive charts show YTD MLPX under-performing TORTX; however, stock charts indicate no meaningful difference in their YTD total return, which is corroborated by the old comparative charts provided in the OP.

Problem with the new M* charts is that when you add ETFs, they are price-charts while the OEF chart is Growth-of-10K chart. This issue has been pointed out to M*. I gave up on new M* charts. I am using old M* charts or Stockcharts.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Yogi, Thank you so much! The new charting (and also the symbol lookups) are absolutely terrible!

Actually, the whole site is still a mess. I track about 500 mutual funds on an Excel spreadsheet. When I download information I am constantly missing key data (like 5 year and 10 year performance). I would be embarrassed if I worked at Morningstar.

Symbol lookup rant > Today I was trying to compare VYM with VDIGX (on the VDIGX chart). When I typed VYM into the Add Comparison (on the chart) I had a choice of VYM/SO, VYM/EU, VYM/IV, VYM/NV, and VYM/TC. Uh... no. I simply want VYM.  

Factor Tool rant > However at the same time... M* rolled out a new Factor Tool. Great! But where is it? There is an article on today's (12/10/2019) M* front page about the new Factor Tool. There is even a very nice video. When (following instructions) I type in an equity fund's symbol and go to the fund's portfolio I am supposed to see the Factor Tool next to the Style Box. But... no.

Hey! It's a great idea though!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

Yogi:

I'm logging on to say thanks again for these links. They've been helpful for many months, and I greatly appreciate you sharing them with us.

But...

Alas, the old charts are rapidly disappearing. As I just discovered: no more 1-page PDFs of PRWCX, FBALX, FOCPX and many other funds of (my) personal interest. And of course, the once-helpful "quote" pages...with the option of "print this page" even when no 1-page PDF existed "back when"...is also long gone. There are about three, maybe four elements I like about the new "quote" page format, but more than a dozen elements I miss about the old one - not least of which was the fact that, printed out on a color printer in a 2-page/front-and-back form, it at least offered an abbreviated but still helpful (and more colorful) alternative to the B&W 1-pager.

And I truly do NOT understand M*'s migration away from the 1-page PDF format at all. It is (was) a staple of mutual fund literacy for investors for decades, and borrowed, reproduced and/or copied in format by many, many "downstream users" (mutual fund companies themselves, 401k administrators, and on and on...wonder what those folks will do now?). Though I could probably have suggested ways to improve it (mainly via visual simplification of certain factors), its value to me over the years is hard to calculate. I will miss it.

Like many here, also wonder how long the M* site and services will continue to have value, given the disappearance of other easy-to-find information in the new site format.

Dirk

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@dirkronk , sadly, the old free PDF reports have become the SEC approved PDF reports now available in very expensive advisor/professional products.

Keep fingers crossed on how long the old features keep working.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Hi Dirk:
I hope you send your comments to Joe @ Morningstar. The site is useless to me right now, except for the occasional good article. Accordingly, I canceled my premium membership.
Regards,Paula Metz
0 Kudos
Announcements