cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

yogibearbull
Valued Contributor

M* Charts for OEFs, ETFs, CEFs, Stocks - Old Style

Solved or there is a best answer. Go to solution.

M* new website happened overnight and that is bad news for Charts that are terrible in the new format - limited features and can not post/link them. Below is a repost from April 2018 that prepared for this day. I don't know how long the old Charts for funds will work but use them until then.   https://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSocialize/forums/p/383161/3928555.aspx#3928555

M* Charts for OEFs, ETFs, CEFs, Stocks - Old Style
Fri, Apr 27 2018, 11:13 AM | Post #3928555

M* is slowly changing its website and some features will be different. M* Articles/Videos format has changed - the new Comments section is finally working but now the trick to access the the old article format has disappeared. The new charting for stocks/ETFs/CEFs is very buggy. One of these days, the mutual fund charts will be affected too.

Here, I am providing links for reinvestment/Growth-of-10K charts for OEFs, ETFs, stocks, CEFs [using NAVs] for future use. It is possible that when M* makes the final switch, these links will no longer work. But in many website makeovers, old bookmarked links often continue to work for a while.

SP500 VFINX  http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fund/chart?t=VFINX&region=usa&culture=en_US

SP500 SPY  http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fund/chart.action?t=SPY&region=usa&culture=en_US

MSFT  http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fund/chart.action?t=MSFT&region=usa&culture=en_US

PKO  http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fund/chart.action?t=PKO&region=usa&culture=en_US

Note that all these URLs have similar styles and use "fund" as the trigger to invoke Growth-of-10K [or reinvestment] feature.

YBB
1 Accepted Solution or Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
yogibearbull
Valued Contributor

Re: M* Charts for OEFs, ETFs, CEFs, Stocks - Old Style

@wanttoknow wrote:

Thanks, Yogibearbull.

But when I enter a different ticker symbol in the quote box, it switches to the quote page for the "new" style.

Just add tickers to the dimmed Compare to Symbol box.

Or, modify the URL [but don't use the Quote box]

Example URL w/VFINX   http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fund/chart?t=VFINX&region=usa&culture=en_US

Changed to URL w/VWINX   http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fund/chart?t=VWINX&region=usa&culture=en_US

These are workarounds that tend to be user-unfriendly.

YBB

View solution in original post

35 Replies
trckld
Explorer ○○○

Thank you Yogi. I hope M* add a "sticky" feature to keep posts like this on top of the forum. No doubt it will be referred to over and over again.

0 Kudos
yogibearbull
Valued Contributor

@trckld wrote:

Thank you Yogi. I hope M* add a "sticky" feature to keep posts like this on top of the forum. No doubt it will be referred to over and over again.

That is only an admin capability. But you can bookmark the OP print screen to access it directly,   https://community.morningstar.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/mf/message-id/283/print-sin...

YBB
0 Kudos
trckld
Explorer ○○○

I'm bookmarking it, but I was thinking in future you will have to refer to this post to many other members who ask about it ;-)

0 Kudos
wanttoknow
Explorer ○

Thanks, Yogibearbull.

But when I enter a different ticker symbol in the quote box, it switches to the quote page for the "new" style.

0 Kudos
yogibearbull
Valued Contributor

@wanttoknow wrote:

Thanks, Yogibearbull.

Just add tickers to the dimmed Compare to Symbol box.

Or, modify the URL [but don't use the Quote box]

Example URL w/VFINX   http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fund/chart?t=VFINX&region=usa&culture=en_US

Changed to URL w/VWINX   http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fund/chart?t=VWINX&region=usa&culture=en_US

These are workarounds that tend to be user-unfriendly.

YBB

View solution in original post

Graust
Explorer ○○

@yogibearbull 

Is there any way to get back to the old style OEF fund quote pages? The new fund pages are atrocious, and they got rid of the “purchase” tab whereby you can see the availability and minimums and TF/NTF status at various brokerages. Thanks for this thread!

0 Kudos
yogibearbull
Valued Contributor

@Graust wrote:

@yogibearbull 

Is there any way to get back to the old style OEF fund quote pages? The new fund pages are atrocious, and they got rid of the “purchase” tab whereby you can see the availability and minimums and TF/NTF status at various brokerages. Thanks for this thread!

From old Chart page, you can access most other old tabs. Just don't go to Quote as that will take you to new Quote page & new tabs.

YBB
Juris2
Participant ○

Thanks, Yogi! I made a trip down memory lane. Entered sets of my current holdings. This is THE main feature (utility) at M* that I have used over the years. Otherwise, I read the feature articles and I contribute to the forum.

0 Kudos
McMontana
Explorer ○

As Yogi says, avoid the quote box, and avoid picking "Quote" from the menu ribbon just below it.

It's encouraging to see that the chart pages are updating - current price and the performance curves current to the last close.

As a fan of the old ratings & risk pages, I'm hoping they'll also update as usual, after the turn of the month. The new risk page dumps the one shorter term stat of the old format: the 1y up-down capture, which I've always found useful.

Cheers, McM

curious1
Follower ○○

yogi

Thank you so much for the information and the links...  Really appreciate it!

0 Kudos
pjmetz
Follower ○○

Hi Yogi:

I don't understand what you are doing. What is the Compare to Symbol box? Where is it? How do I change the URL?

Thanks,

Paula

0 Kudos
pjmetz
Follower ○○

OK, I figured out the URL part. The changes are shocking. They must have hired managers from Yahoo. I will cancel my membership if they don't revert to the old format.

Regards,

Paula Metz

0 Kudos
Annoyed
Follower ○○

Big time thanks for links to old format! New format horrible! Lacks essential data points from old format (compare) and impossible to use effectively on a mobile device. MS clearly switching resources from mutual funds to equities, and doing a poor job at both. Less and less value here.

0 Kudos
pjmetz
Follower ○○

I just cancelled my Premium service. The site no longer has any value to me except for the analyst reports which are often out of date. What mystifies me is that even the news articles are missing from the quote page. I especially miss Rank in Category under Trailing Total Returns in the Performance section. Also, Compare is not there. In the Portfolio page, the Holdings view has been stripped. The little sector & style icons are gone; the ability to see all holdings is gone. The ability to sort each column high and low is gone. YTD Return has been cut off and P/E is gone. On the Summary page, Value & Growth Measures is gone. In fact this entire page has been gutted. I could go on and on. For some reason, Morningstar thinks these are features we don't want to use?

I think our only hope for getting these things back is for people to cancel their premium memberships en mass. All the yelling and complaining at Yahoo Finance as management stripped one good feature after another had no effect. Now their pages have been stripped to the bone and Verizon wants to charge for a "premium" service. What a joke! Who would trust them to provide anything premium?

Regards and good luck!

Paula Metz

0 Kudos
CherylBoca
Explorer ○○

Thank you so much for posting this. Theold charts allow one to overlay and compare performance results across ETFs and mutual funds . The new charts don't. This is a terrible, terrible loss.

0 Kudos
Cindy
Explorer ○

Thanks so much YBB.

Is there anyway we can see "category returns" in "FUNDS"? I use that a lot to see the performance trends but it is no longer available in the new design.

0 Kudos
Gary1952
Contributor ○○○

If you click on the address bar at the top you can delete the ticker and add a different ticker to display another fund. Or you can add tickers in the box above the chart to display several funds at once, ala FD1001 did very often.

But, how do you display several funds on one chart and link it to a post? I tried and can't get it to work.

0 Kudos
yogibearbull
Valued Contributor

@Gary1952 wrote:

If you click on the address bar at the top you can delete the ticker and add a different ticker to display another fund. Or you can add tickers in the box above the chart to display several funds at once, ala FD1001 did very often.

But, how do you display several funds on one chart and link it to a post? I tried and can't get it to work.

You have to add fund tickers one by one in the Compare box of the Chart - ticker1, then Enter; ticker2, then Enter; if any text preexists there, remove before entering ticker. Max of 6 funds can be added. Then use Sharing tool at bottom to copy the URL that is VERY LONG. Best to use Linking tool of the post text to create hyperlinked text.

YBB
0 Kudos
CherylBoca
Explorer ○○

You can click PERFORMANCE and then Click INTERACTIVE charts and then Click COMPARE (yes, it's a bother), but what you get compared to what you had before is so so SO MUCH less. Previously, all the return data was right below the chart for each security. It's gone now.  (This compares SLQD, an ETF, and PONAX, a mutual fund) for illustrative purposes.1909 Morningstar - Change to Performance Reports2.jpg

0 Kudos
Announcements

To learn more about the recent changes to Morningstar.com, please see the updated FAQ.

See recent posts and all our forums or access the old forums here.

You can read the community guidelines in