Explorer ○

Re: Grandeur Peak funds update

You may want to look at this newsletter about their plans:

https://www.grandeurpeakglobal.com/documents/grandeurpeakglobal-is-20200131.pdf

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I opened two positions today directly. Next week I will do a TOA to Fidelity and see if it goes through.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

So which funds did you decide on?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

GPRIX and GPMCX
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Yes, there is only one class of the Global Micro Cap fund; however, there are two classes of the Global Reach fund.

I initially started with the investor class of several of their funds; but I seem to remember they made the change to allow investors to buy into the institutional class for lower initial minimums sometime after I made my purchases.  I converted my accounts to institutional classes. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Did both trades go through?

I spoke to a CSR.  She said GPMCX is open to new investors through GP, but the literature they filed/issued does not read that way.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@MrBilboBaggins wrote:

Did both trades go through?

I spoke to a CSR.  She said GPMCX is open to new investors through GP, but the literature they filed/issued does not read that way.

Hi BB. Was that question to me? Yes, A-OK. Actually I thought the information on their web site was clear and correct.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Yes, and thanks for clarifying that it was open contrary to the news release and SEC filing I located.  I already had a position in GPMCX in a taxable account, but opened a position in non-taxable account before it closes again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

All my GP funds are doing extremely well. I’ve owned GGSYX for several years and have a reasonably large holding. I bought GPRIX and GPMCX earlier this year—and like a fool I only bought a tiny amount ($10k/ea.) for fun—and like a bigger fool, I didn’t add to them as they pushed higher and higher.

GPMCX’s expense ratio is silly, and like you’d expect from a microcap fund it’s been plenty volatile, so I don’t see myself adding much if anything to it. GPRIX is another story .... I should probably have a much larger position. (In fact, I could start by closing out GPMCX and moving the proceeds into GPRIX. Hey, @rthiru any thoughts?)

What have GP owners been doing? What are you doing now, and what do you plan to do? TIA.

PS: Check out GPMCX’s manager’s bio (from M*), this is impressive:

Ms. Sunderland, CFA and portfolio manager, has been a senior research analyst at Grandeur Peak Global Advisors, with a specialty focus on the consumer sector, since the firm’s inception in 2011. Prior to Grandeur Peak, Ms. Sunderland was a junior and later senior research analyst at Wasatch Advisors from 2003-2011. Before Wasatch, Ms. Sunderland worked on the Goldman Sachs Private Wealth Management Team. Ms. Sunderland graduated Magna **bleep** Laude in the top 1% of her class from the University of Utah where she earned a B.S. in Finance and Business Information Systems. Ms. Sunderland was selected as the Outstanding Finance Scholar of the Year by the dean, and a Coca-Cola Scholar. Ms. Sunderland was born in China and is fluent in Mandarin Chinese. She moved to Salt Lake City at age 10, bought her first house at age 12, and built a successful real estate business. Ms. Sunderland began investing in stocks at age 14 and has been a passionate investor ever since.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Just started a non-taxable position in GPMCX a couple of months ago with DCA in addition to an established DCA plan for small amounts into Reach, Stalwarts, and all Opportunities funds.  GPMCX has had a significant turnaround over time since the pandemic outbreak.  Contrarian fund has also turned around.   

0 Kudos
Announcements