cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Follower ○○

Any opinion on CPOAX - Morgan Stanley Insight A

Came across this recently in a serach for high performing growth funds.

Anybody has any opinion and any other similar funds.

Thanks

SAM

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Re: Any opinion on CPOAX - Morgan Stanley Insight A

It has often been a great category performer but not always. Overall it has done well as a B&H IMO. I owned it and MACGX in the past.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

I own MSCMX, same fund but only 1% sales fee that ends after one year.  

Great money maker.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

The various MS “insight”, “opportunity” etc growth funds were discussed in a thread I started a few months ago. Try searching for something like “growth fund for an IRA” ... sorry I can’t find a link for it right now.

I would steer clear of these funds now. JMO.

Edit: found the thread:

https://community.morningstar.com/t5/Investing-During-Retirement/Favorite-US-growth-stock-fund-for-a...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Chang, why would you stay clear now?  Just looking for your view.  A

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@jiggs , Class C high ER of 1.91% will remain forever but additional 1% CDSC applies if sold within a year.  https://morganstanley.prospectus-express.com/summary.asp?clientid=morganstll&fundid=61762C202%20&doc...

@Anitya , LC-growth may come with high FAAMNG and new-tech exposure but that comes with the territory. Some may want to avoid FAAMNG by looking for different flavors of LC-growth or going to MC-growth. 

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

It’s just too dot-commy for me. P/E of 75. Reminds me of 2000, which I guess nobody remembers. Plenty of adequately scary, but safer, and cheaper, growth funds.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Thanks Guys. 

It does have high volatility.  I have been towing with the idea of going into VUG.  My default growth investment had been QQQ, but it is cap weighted with FAANGM taking up a large weight.  So, thought VUG might provide a different FAANGM weighting and perhaps a less than 1 correlation to QQQ.   

I need ETFs for taxable accounts.

When I sell some recent explores like BA and CVX (hopefully, in the next three months), I will have space in retirement accounts to add growth OEFs.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

YTD CPOAX is up 53%. It has shot up like a rocket since the March low. I know from past experience that if I were to buy now its price would fall dramatically, and if I don't it will continue to outperform. Plotted on  graph, its recent performance looks too much like an anomaly to continue much longer. But I guess that thinking is just another version of the past performance rule.

I bought and sold it last year load waved, and IIRC with Fidelity there was a $50 fee for early redemption which was either 30 or 90 days. Best to check with your brokerage to see how it would apply to you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Anitya VUG / VIGAX is a good tool. It’s not insane growth; compare the overlap to VOO. I bought the Fido version FSPGX b/c I wanted a Fido OEF. Different index tracked, but very similar performance; a little less concentrated in the top 10 holdings.

I could see trading this or holding it forever, since it’s cheap and tax efficient.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@chang wrote:

@Anitya VUG / VIGAX is a good tool. It’s not insane growth; compare the overlap to VOO. I bought the Fido version FSPGX b/c I wanted a Fido OEF. Different index tracked, but very similar performance; a little less concentrated in the top 10 holdings.

I could see trading this or holding it forever, since it’s cheap and tax efficient.

Thanks.  You are right they are very similar in performance.   I had wanted to buy FDGRX but it was closed to new investors and so I have been buying FIFNX on the theory that owners may provide better stewardship.  I acknowledge founder ownership is no sure thing - they are humans too.   My go to growth OEF for the past few years has been ARTTX.  It does great with downside protection and is just OK on the way up, but since March lows it has lagged quite a bit.  I have a 10% position in it and so when I wanted to add to growth, I have been adding to FIFNX and FGDFX - both unproven.   For my next growth OEF purchase, I will buy FSPGX - removes manager risk.  

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Anitya I threw $3000 into FGDFX when it opened just for fun ... I figured that in 3 years the ER would drop to 0.5% and then I could decide whether to own more. And it’s already worth $3,543! Dang it, I should have bought $300K!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@chang wrote:

I did not focus on this before.  I guess as an index OEF fund, one could hold it in a taxable account.  There is always that risk of capital gain distributions if there are heavy redemptions.   BTW, where in the new M* site can I find distributions information?  I had to go the fund sites for this info.  The old M* site had so much information on the quote page.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Anitya , in the new M* pages, Distribution tab is within the Performance tab. In old pages, they were at the bottom of the Quote page.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@yogibearbull wrote:

@Anitya , in the new M* pages, Distribution tab is within the Performance tab. In old pages, they were at the bottom of the Quote page.

Thanks, Yogi.  I remembered it was in the Performance tab but I forgot it was a different tab within the Performance tab.  It is so un-intuitive that I started questioning if my recollection was correct.  I guess as a rule I need to remember that the new site uses a lot of sub-tabs in every page.

0 Kudos
Announcements