Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○

ARTYX

Artyx has already done 32.93 % YTD.

Is there any criteria or checklist to decide -

1) If it is still good time to invest in fund or is it too late ie. I am chasing performance?

2) Or should wait for Market correction.

(in contrast MAPIX and MAPTX have done around 5% and 7% YTD.)

How do you make such decisions in an objective way? Or is it purely gut feeling and just take a chance kind of thing?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: ARTYX

ARTYX style is more for growth + lower dividends than the other 2 funds.  Since the inception of ARTYX all 3 funds had similar performance until 2019 where ARTYX took off.   ARTFX also hold fewer position than the other funds.  Concentration if its done right leads to better performance.

EM is trailing the US market for years so, in the next several years there is a good chance for a catchup but not a guarantee.  Timing markets is extremely difficult.  Most investors should select a proper AA that matches their goals and risk tolerance and stay invested at all times.

ARTYX is also on the recommended list by Fidelity and has the best YTD, 1, 3 years.  For one year it's the only one with a positive return.

Looks like a winner to me

fid.PNG

art.PNG

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@waffle wrote:

Artyx has already done 32.93 % YTD.

Is there any criteria or checklist to decide -

1) If it is still good time to invest in fund or is it too late ie. I am chasing performance?

2) Or should wait for Market correction.

(in contrast MAPIX and MAPTX have done around 5% and 7% YTD.)

How do you make such decisions in an objective way? Or is it purely gut feeling and just take a chance kind of thing?

@waffle,

Market timing is exceedingly difficult.
Even investment professionals rarely succeed in this endeavor.

Artisan Funds is a good boutique fund company with many successful funds in its lineup.
Lewis Kaufman (manager) is experienced and performed admirably guiding another
diversified emerging markets fund from 12/16/2009 — 02/18/2015.

Potential concerns:
1) Above-average expense ratio
2) Manager performance during EM bear markets is unknown

ARTYX.JPG

Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Back on 11/13/15 I had created a M* Portfolio composed of funds from Artisan. I was considering buying ARTYX but failed to do so. Looks like that was a mistake.

ARTYX $1612.87

VFIAX $1477.40

ARTZX $1466.60

VIMAX $1419.53

VSMAX $1417.48

ARTRX $1404.61

ARTHX $1298.82

ARTSX $1183.23

ARTGX $1148.71

ARTIX $1143.05

ARTKX $1044.71

ARTLX $1023.16

ARTQX $877.52

ARTMX $855.25

ARTJX $576.53

Also, on the M* page ARTYX shows under Performance % Rank in Category a rating of 1 for the YTD, 1 Month, and 1 Year and a rating of 2 for the 3 year time period. The Fidelity screener shows it in 1st place for the YTD and 1 Yr and 5th place for the 3 year. When to buy? Today may be a good day (markets are projected to be down) but that'll have to be your call. Should you buy? YES! The manager has experience at another fund and the returns show this. 

Highlighted
Contributor ○

Thanks everyone, I sold some of MAPIX and moved money to ARTYX. I noticed that other EM funds like Fidelity Emerging and American Funds New World also did well around 20% YTD compared to Mapix (7% YTD).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Quick note on MAPIX:  Morningstar classes it, appropriately I think, as Diversified Pacific/Asia and NOT as Diversified Emerging Markets, which is where ARTYX is.

Supporting fact point:  MAPIX is 30% Japan, and (guesstimate) another 20%+ in China.  Both of those have been hit by trade/tariff changes causing future hits to profitability/economic growth.

If your original expectation was to own an Asia fund, then MAPIX is a pretty good one.   If you want an EM fund, then I agree with ARTYX as a good one.

(Disclosure: I own ARTYX, PRMSX, GQGPX.  One aggressive, one conservative, one middle of the road.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

I really do not care if it is Asia or not. I just want a good fund at reasonable cost. ARTYX cost is a concern, I rarely like going above 1% in cost (AKREX and now ARTYX being an exception). I think cost was main reason I did not consider it earlier.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

If the cost (Expense Ratio) is a main factor in determining a fund choice I would recommend staying away from active managed funds and concentrate on an ETF. Consider IEMG with an ER of 0.14%. Rarely will you see an ETF with an ER above 1%. Are you focusing on Emerging Markets? International? or do you simply want a fund/ETF that will provide reasonable returns? If you don't feel comfortable paying the 1.37% ER on ARTYX you may have to settle for a fund/ETF.  I looked at the Fidelity screener for International Equity  and on page 3, I found a T Rowe Price fund with an ER of 0.92%. RPGEX. I compared the two funds and ARTYX beats RPGEX on the YTD and 1 Yr numbers but RPGEX beats ARTYX on the 3 Yr. 15.91% vs. 15.31%. Just some food for thought.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

If you’re worried about expense, you can buy APDYX for much less than the official $250k minimum (just look around), which has a significantly lower ER.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Bumping this thread. I’ve been thinking about adding to ARTYX / APDYX. I’m a little worried about key-man risk: the manager seems to be a one-man show. I’m not sure what resources or team behind him exists at Artisan. (I hold in a taxable account.)

But his record at Thornburg and Artisan has been simply superb. Thornburg must be sorry to have lost him.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@FD1001 wrote:

ARTYX style is more for growth + lower dividends than the other 2 funds.  Since the inception of ARTYX all 3 funds had similar performance until 2019 where ARTYX took off.   ARTFX also hold fewer position than the other funds.  Concentration if its done right leads to better performance.

EM is trailing the US market for years so, in the next several years there is a good chance for a catchup but not a guarantee.  Timing markets is extremely difficult.  Most investors should select a proper AA that matches their goals and risk tolerance and stay invested at all times.

ARTYX is also on the recommended list by Fidelity and has the best YTD, 1, 3 years.  For one year it's the only one with a positive return.

Looks like a winner to me

fid.PNG

art.PNG

That was right on the money and why MOMO works.  Below is what ARTYX did compared to MAPIX,MAPTX since the OP on 7/5/2020...ARTYX 63.1%...MAPIX 15.6%...MAPTX 12.6%.  Basically ARTYX made you 4 times more

mapix.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@FD1001  ARTYX is 30% US stocks, so it's not really relevant to compare to Matthews Asia funds. It doesn't really fit well into any category. However there is no question that the manager has talent. I'm kind of surprised the fund has "only" $5.7 bil in assets. I would/will add on dip(s). 

0 Kudos
Announcements