cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CourtJester
Explorer ○

as usual, M* changes things and causes problems

It goes without saying that your new changes are terrible.  Somehow M* doesnt understand that users want to stick with what's familiar and not have to re-learn a website every six months.  But, like cattle, we keep paying our membership fees while our protests are ignored.  So I guess we are the greater fools.

Specifically now every time I refresh my portfolio information I am asked to re-log into the website.  This is really annoying and I hope it's just temporary.

If you can't get things right the first time, stop making so many changes.

29 Replies
gizzsdad
Follower ○○

Re: as usual, M* changes things and causes problems

What happened to "Medalists by Category" ?

ch_tielfan
Explorer ○

I'm not paying my membership fees like cattle.  I called them up and canceled my premium membership.  The new design made several important features disappear or become harder to use, and I'm not going to pay for that kind of treatment. 

RainGater
Participant ○

M*, like Yahoo, is following the same model. Redesign it in a way that will make people leave in droves. I wonder why they don't even try getting feedback before making wholesale changes!

Charts used to be very good and now I can't even chart the fund price (not the return) anymore. Charting the TR is *ONLY* possible. And, when I enter a symbol to compare, for example PIMIX, it says "No results". I guess the biggest bond fund is not even available to compare! 

Kudos M* technical team for making it an awesome experience. NOT!

image.png

Giuseppe
Follower ○○○

Was ready to buy premium but not going to do it if previous report formats are no longer available.

Drewg
Explorer ○

What happened to the average market value of a mutual fund portfolio?

Giuseppe
Follower ○○○

I was about to become a Premium member on July 16 when M* converted its crisp and well defined website to a chaotic mishmash of confusing pages that is unworkable. M* will become a Black Hole. Giuseppe.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
chang
Valued Contributor

On the plus side, the new format is much cleaner than the old one. There is loads of blank, white space all over the screen, not cluttered up with facts, figures, links and other information. The screen is now much more useful for sticking Post-its.
Out_Of_Order
Follower ○○○

Thanks for the laugh, chang.  I, too, love my  Post-its.

Out_Of_Order
Follower ○○○

I have no idea how old anyone is on this forum, but your comment reminded of that (famous?) song by Melanie, "Look What They've Done To My Song, Ma" aka: Ils Ont Change Ma Chanson, Ma.

chang
Valued Contributor

@Out_Of_Order wrote:

Thanks for the laugh, chang.  I, too, love my  Post-its.

Well then, give me a Kudo for Pete’s sake. How else am I going to get my next badge??

judger
Explorer ○○

@CourtJester wrote:

It goes without saying that your new changes are terrible.  Somehow M* doesnt understand that users want to stick with what's familiar and not have to re-learn a website every six months.  But, like cattle, we keep paying our membership fees while our protests are ignored.  So I guess we are the greater fools.

Specifically now every time I refresh my portfolio information I am asked to re-log into the website.  This is really annoying and I hope it's just temporary.

If you can't get things right the first time, stop making so many changes.

Has M* (and/or Google?) been doing changes lately? My Safari browser has been hanging up for a few days. I live in this browser with tabs for M* forums (left open even at PC shutdown), CEF Connect, M* QuickRank, a few Google Sheets tabs and a Google search. I have to reboot the Mac to get it back and then it happens again. Seems like even the Google tabs hang often.   ???

theshaman
Follower ○○

Some added thoughts.

I had to log in again in order to make this reply.

Is there no formatted print for the stock or fund analysis?  I'm a paper guy.

Discussion/community doesn't show anywhere that I can find.  I have to search for it and that is effective only if you know the name.

The analysis seems to be missing some charts and tables.

I no longer need the portfolio but I find the xray useful.  So far xray is unchanged.  I'm close to canceling.

theshaman
Follower ○○

Me again.  By the way, how did I deserve a pig for my avatar?

Bruzer
Participant ○○○

The Kudo thing. Or "Like" on other sites. Fine -- a quick easy way to give someone a positive comment without making a new post.

But here (and only here) does kudo-ing someone refresh the entire page which isn't necessary. Just up the displayed kudo number, and keep track of who kudo-ed in the background and don't refresh the entire page.

This isn't anything new, and it isn't rocket science.

Far Side Rocket Scientists.jpg

0 Kudos
McMontana
Explorer ○

I'm a little behind, since I've given up being a semi-regular follower of M* data and these forums, so I'm just now seeing the changes in the fund pages. For debt funds, the new portfolio pages, as the saying goes out in ag country, are as useful as (mammary glands) on a boar.

Those pages show only top-level categories, i.e., government, muni, corporate, and securitized. If the M* sub-category scheme remains as it was in the previous, all but useless incarnation, that means, for example, that the sovereign debt of Iraq, Turkey, and the U.S. are all nestled cozily together under "government," and "corporate" mashes IG and HY corporates, loans, preferreds, and convertibles all together in one undifferentiated pile of mush.

I can't imagine any investor being satisfied with this garbage. It's 100% to the providers' sites I go now -- which was always the best solution, but at least it used to be possible to scan M* pages to get a rough idea of what was happening under the hood, but no longer. Maybe basic info has become a "Premium" feature now, I dunno, but I'd never spend another dime on M*.

Drz
Follower ○○

Hopefully, M* will read these comments and rectify the situation, or it will lose a valuable customer base.

Just an occasional visitor, but can't help but notice that there is a dearth of comments/posts/usage in the forums, where before there was an active community.  It seems as if most of the active forum participants have gone elsewhere to share their market insights and thoughts, as well as questions and general comments.  

I know of the silicon valley investor website, any else using alternative sites?

Sorry to see that the M* corporate types took a valuable resource and basically rendered it useless.

Drz

0 Kudos
jm
Follower ○○

I used the feedback form to complain about the horrid new web site on 7/18.  I got a robo email stating that they would respond within 24 hours.  Crickets....

0 Kudos
CourtJester
Explorer ○

kudos to you, i should also do this but probably wont

0 Kudos
GrackleFarm
Follower ○○○

RainGater: M* is making us work harder to compare funds . . . you have to type the fund name in that box and not the ticker. It doesn't always work, though, especially with funds that have long names or those from Fidelity with a ® in their name. 

I don't know who came up with that brave notion, but clearly, Morningstar has no actual investors in their IT department. Somebody who researches mutual funds would not make it more difficult to research mutual funds. 

0 Kudos
Announcements

To learn more about the recent changes to Morningstar.com, please see the updated FAQ.

See recent posts and all our forums or access the old forums here.

You can read the community guidelines in