cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○

Why does M* continue to log me out

The thing that annoys me the most about the new M* website is how it logs me out every time I leave the site. I have to log in again almost every time I visit. This is totally ridiculous. I visit many, many websites that will keep you logged in on return visits. M* is the ONLY website I have visited that can’t seem to solve this problem. The log in page has a box to check if you wish to remain logged in, and it apparently serves no function. Why can’t you fix this problem that every other website on the planet seems to have resolved? My main reason for visiting M* is to make use of the portfolio view functions, and I am out of here if I can find a suitable replacement. BTW, I have used the M* website for more than 20 years.

29 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: Why does M* continue to log me out

@Dawgie wrote:

The thing that annoys me the most about the new M* website is how it logs me out every time I leave the site. I have to log in again almost every time I visit. This is totally ridiculous. I visit many, many websites that will keep you logged in on return visits. M* is the ONLY website I have visited that can’t seem to solve this problem. The log in page has a box to check if you wish to remain logged in, and it apparently serves no function. Why can’t you fix this problem that every other website on the planet seems to have resolved? My main reason for visiting M* is to make use of the portfolio view functions, and I am out of here if I can find a suitable replacement. BTW, I have used the M* website for more than 20 years.

Same irritation here, but it primarily is associated with the Discussion Forum.  I have to sign in every morning.  I check the section to keep me signed in, but I continue to be forced to repeat the process several more times in the same day.

Highlighted
Contributor ○

I'll raise.  I've been fine right along, but NOW I'm logged out of the Discussion site also every time I leave on my idevice ONLY.  Computer seems fine.  Using Firefox on computer; Chrome on idevices.  Going to try Safari to see how THAT fares.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

My main problem is with portfolio view, which is the most important feature on M* site for me. I used to use the discussion forum much more frequently but can take it leave it now. Unfortunately, the log out problem is mainly with the portfolio manager section. I use this to track my various investments, which are scattered among 6-7 different accounts, as well as various watch lists.

BTW, the M* app is essentially useless for these purposes because its functionality is so limited. Eg, you cannot use it to compare fund returns over various time periods in the portfolio manager section. It’s fine for checking daily movements but that’s about it.

I must confess that I don’t understand the M* business model for its website. M* seems to be deliberately driving users away. I have regularly used this website since the 1990s. Its functionality has steadily declined in recent years and every so-called improvement seems to make it worse.

I guess the ultimate solution is to find another website to track my investments.

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

@dtconroe wrote:

@Dawgie wrote:

Same irritation here, but it primarily is associated with the Discussion Forum.  I have to sign in every morning.  I check the section to keep me signed in, but I continue to be forced to repeat the process several more times in the same day.

+1  Same annoyance here.  Just started with Discussion forum in the last few days.  Previously it would happen maybe once a week.  Now a regular occurrence.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Moderator Moderator

Hi Dawgie,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue. 

Before I escalate it to our developers, can you please give more details as: what browser you use and are there some browser settings turn on at any time you go on a website? (ie. browsing history, clear cookies and site data...etc). If these are set to be cleared  hourly or daily...it can cause the log out issue.

Please let me know!

Regards,

Mihaela D

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@Mihaela 

Happens to me all the time recently. No auto clearing.

Android version 9

Chrome 80.0.3987.149

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

@Mihaela:The frequent logouts is a recent change.  Discussions used to log me out maybe once a week or so.  Now it is multiple times a day.  Switching between Discussion and the main M* site has always been a problem with frequent logouts.

Windows 10

Firefox 74.0 (also happened in prior version 73.1)

No autoclearing. I've cleared all M* cookies and browser cache. After a fresh login, the issue returns,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Mihaela , posters were informed in June that the timeout was reset to 23 hrs 20 min. Is this still the case? Is the time window static [from the  login] or dynamic [from the last activity]?

Something has changed indeed. As I have M* login stored in my PC browser as well as on Android phone, this isn't a huge problem as re-login requires just a couple of clicks. Banks, brokers, funds, cards do have short timeouts for security reasons, but Yahoo Finance, for example, keeps you logged in for 2 weeks.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@Mihaela wrote:

Hi Dawgie,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue. 

Before I escalate it to our developers, can you please give more details as: what browser you use and are there some browser settings turn on at any time you go on a website? (ie. browsing history, clear cookies and site data...etc). If these are set to be cleared  hourly or daily...it can cause the log out issue.

Please let me know!

Regards,

Mihaela D

I use Google Chrome--I have no special browser settings and they have not been changed recently, but my log in problems have been much worse in recent days.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Yeah. I just had to log on again after a few hours of inactivity. Sometime I go for days without being logged off. other days it’s happens a Couple of times even though I checked the box to remain signed in. Totally random process. I wonder whether the systems logs posters out when it becomes overloaded ? 

The other problem I experience is that some of my replies are flagged to correct highlighted errors except there are no errors flagged on the screen. I have to continue to enter the post several times before I Get a message stating that my post contained invalid html that has been corrected so it can be entered.

my browser is safari.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

@Mihaela 

I primarily access M* from my iPad using Safari as a browser. I don’t using any special settings or cookies or change them when using the site.

0 Kudos
Valued Contributor

@Dawgie wrote:

@Mihaela 

I primarily access M* from my iPad using Safari as a browser. I don’t using any special settings or cookies or change them when using the site.

I also access M from an iPad without any special setting or cookies which are not changed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Moderator Moderator

Hi Dawgie,

Thank you all for your reply and for your patience.

I am going to escalate a case for the "keep me sign in" issue as high priority and will keep you posted with the progress.

Thank you for your understanding and patience!

Mihaela D

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Moderator Moderator

Hi All,

Thank you for your reply, all the information related to your experience are extremely helpful in fixing this issue.

Please know that a case (and a ticket) is already escalated with our dev team. I will keep you posted with the progress.

Thanks again for your understanding and patience.

Regards,

Mihaela D

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

@Mihaela wrote:

Hi All,

Thank you for your reply, all the information related to your experience are extremely helpful in fixing this issue.

Please know that a case (and a ticket) is already escalated with our dev team. I will keep you posted with the progress.

Thanks again for your understanding and patience.

Regards,

Mihaela D

Just to update (and correct) my earlier statements, I used to be able to stay logged in on my computer, but during the last few weeks, that is no longer the case.  I'll typically be logged off overnight.  Firefox on Win 10.  Something recently was broken!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

M* website  logs me out every time I leave the site- even though I check the 'keep me signed in " box 

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@Mihaela 

Haven't had to re-log in for a few days now.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

@Mihaela: FYI, I still have to keep logging in whenever I want to access Portfolio Manager from the Investing Forums or the M* Community. That used to happen seamlessly until very recently. Using Firefox on Windows 10.

Your assistance is appreciated,

Fred

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

@fred495 wrote:

@Mihaela: FYI, I still have to keep logging in whenever I want to access Portfolio Manager from the Investing Forums or the M* Community. That used to happen seamlessly until very recently. Using Firefox on Windows 10.

Your assistance is appreciated,

Fred

+1

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.