cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Explorer ○

Where is the Quantitative Rating for funds without Analyst Ratings?

A July 8 Fund Spy article by Jeffrey Ptak, "Looking Forward to Changes in Our Forward-Looking Ratings", says 

"We’re also making companion changes to the Quantitative Rating, which is designed to algorithmically mimic the way analysts assign ratings to funds they cover."

Where can I find the Quantitative Rating?

An earlier article said that all funds without Analyst Ratings have Quantitative Ratings.  I have looked extensively, but cannot find this anywhere.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Where is the Quantitative Rating for funds without Analyst Ratings? [Superscript Q]

I cannot find an example now, but Quantitative Ratings have  "Q" as superscripts to Gold/Solver/Bronze/Neutral/Negative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnAbrL6NkE0

YBB
The Morningstar Quantitative Rating for funds uses machine learning to extend our analysts' judgment to a broader range of funds. For all Morningstar videos:...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: Where is the Quantitative Rating for funds without Analyst Ratings?

The hunt for the ever illusive Quantitative Rating of mutual funds and ETFs continues!

Can it be that when this was launched a year ago (as evidenced by the Methodology paper), someone goofed, and it never actually got implemented on the website?

And when its upcoming enhancement was announced in the 7/8/19 Fund Spy article, nobody at Morningstar noticed it was missing?

I submitted a Data Question to Morningstar about this, similar to my original post in this string.

The response I got was a lengthy quotation from the Methodology paper describing the rating. Nothing was said about where on the website it could be viewed.

Unfortunately that has been my experience all too often when reporting website or data problems: the response, at least initially, has nothing to do with the problem, and it takes very persistent probing to get a response that does.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

We will be rolling the quantitative rating for funds out to the fund quote page in the next few weeks, and our tools shortly after that.

Thanks,

darrin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Where do I find the Quantitative Rating? For example, I am looking at FCNTX and see this with the new M* rating assigned. Where is Quantitative Rating ?

FCNTX.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Funds covered by analysts have Analyst Ratings.

Funds not covered by analysts may have new computer-generated Quantitative Ratings [indicated by Q].

It would be an overkill to provide both.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Thank you for the clarification.
0 Kudos
Announcements