cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
springerms
Follower ○○○

What should M* do now?

Given how poorly the new site has been received, and to be brutally honest how awful the site is, M* should scrap it and restore the old site with all of its foibles. Then start over and build a new site with real user input. And M* need to do this soon while there are still enough experienced users left to provide input.

Marty

53 Replies
Mainkly
Explorer ○○

Re: What should M* do now?

It's beginning to look like the website "redesign" is actually cover for reducing the benefits to retail subscribers.

It looks like the information and tools that have been taken away will be available to Advisor subscriptions only.

outandabout
Participant ○○○

I don't believe M* cares in the least about we who use the forums.

BruceM
Participant ○○○

When I go to the www.morningstar.com I cannot find a link to the "Morningstar Community". I actually have to Google it to get here. So it does look like M* is letting this die out.

BruceM

yogibearbull
Valued Contributor

@BruceM wrote:

When I go to the www.morningstar.com I cannot find a link to the "Morningstar Community". I actually have to Google it to get here. So it does look like M* is letting this die out.

BruceM

If you scroll down a bit, on the right panel there are Quick Links and Discussion Community is #2. Somewhat non-intuitive.

YBB
0 Kudos
Bruzer
Participant ○○○

@springerms wrote:

Given how poorly the new site has been received, and to be brutally honest how awful the site is, M* should scrap it and restore the old site with all of its foibles. Then start over and build a new site with real user input. And M* need to do this soon while there are still enough experienced users left to provide input.

Marty

What was wrong with the old stock/fund info pages? I thought they were fine. I didn't use them all the time but they were good to find the difference in fund classes, tax ratios, and to compare regular funds vs. ETFs on a chart -- but I guess some/all of those are now gone?

The discuss forum is a different matter. The old one was "okay," my main complaint was that the email notifications kept crashing, then didn't work at all for the past 6 months or so. I had to try to remember (tough for an old guy) what threads I was watching or posting on. Now it's a real mess.

I don't know why they didn't switch to something like the boglehead.org / mozillazine.org etc. formats, which have been around forever and work fine. Most of the complaints about M* new forum were addressed years (decades) ago in those formats.

FatKat
Participant ○○○

Agree, then again, I do not cope well with change. I do like the old pages better.

DRIPInvestor
Follower ○○○

I'd love to know what input they got and from whom that led to many of the very drastic changes.  There are very useful tools that M* has offered for decades that either no longer exist or are much harder to locate.  This most certainly isn't the M* of 10+ years a go. 

Just when I started to get comfortable with the revised stock page that went into effect within the past 2 years, they go ahead and make more drastic changes to them.  I guess we can expect to see another completely different version every 6 months or so going forward.  Perhaps it's because our attention spans aren't as strong as they used to be.  I'd hate to see long-time useful tools and functions kept for functional stock research...sheesh...

This is becoming more than just a small frustration.  While some changes and revisions can be useful, if something ain't broke why fix it! 

DRIPInvestor
Follower ○○○

M* please bring back the ability to type in a ticker and quickly bring up the actual stock, fund etc.  I don't need to see other closely related companies, I simply want to see the company that relates directly to the ticker.  Good Grief!

0 Kudos
FatKat
Participant ○○○

That seems like a big problem. One can Google M* and the stock, or country, so they are still there?

https://www.morningstar.com/stocks/xnys/jnj/quote

https://news.morningstar.com/fund-category-returns/japan-stock/$FOCA$JS.aspx

0 Kudos
fred495
Participant ○○

@springerms wrote:

Marty

I agree, Marty.

Needless to say, it's quite obvious that quality service to retail customers is a totally foreign concept at M*, despite their lofty mission statement:

"Morningstar’s quality vision begins with our clients because we define quality from their point of view. It is our job to listen to our clients’ needs and constantly raise the bar to exceed their expectations. Everything we do in the Morningstar Quality Program is based on client feedback."

Nevertheless, I thought this would be good for a laugh.

Fred

Gary1952
Contributor ○○○

@springerms wrote:

Marty

They are aware of each issue. They are exactly where they want to be.

Kinkelly
Follower ○○

Redesign is awful. Hard to find info, doesn’t fit my iPhone at all. I find myself using M* less and less and going to other sites instead because it is so much easier to navigate and find the info I want. This fiasco they have created is a prime opportunity for other sites to capitalize on the customer dissatisfaction with M*. They are going to go the way of MySpace if they don’t fix the problems. 

RichinKansas
Explorer ○○○

@DRIPInvestor wrote:

M* please bring back the ability to type in a ticker and quickly bring up the actual stock, fund etc.  I don't need to see other closely related companies, I simply want to see the company that relates directly to the ticker.  Good Grief!

+1

0 Kudos
Bruzer
Participant ○○○

@Kinkelly wrote:

Redesign is awful. Hard to find info, doesn’t fit my iPhone at all. I find myself using M* less and less and going to other sites instead because it is so much easier to navigate and find the info I want. This fiasco they have created is a prime opportunity for other sites to capitalize on the customer dissatisfaction with M*. They are going to go the way of MySpace if they don’t fix the problems. 

Ha, good post!

0 Kudos
chang
Valued Contributor

@outandabout wrote:

I don't believe M* cares in the least about we who use the forums.

I used to think that. However, regardless of whether they succeeded or fell short of the mark, M* did create this new forum. They didn't have to. And Ryan seems to be responsive to questions and paying attention to what is being posted here.

I was actually waiting for the day when they pulled the plug on the old forum and just left everybody stranded.

norbertc
Contributor ○○

The main thing M* should do is to involve clients during the design phase; and use Beta Testing instead of rolling out untested software to the public.  I would have been fired for running projects in this manner. 

Win1177
Participant ○○○

As a long time reader (and occasional poster) of the Morningstar site, as well as a “premium” subscriber, I have reached the limits of my patience and tolerance!!! I am repeatedly signed out, multiple times, to the point that it now makes it nearly impossible to update my portfolio in “Portfolio Manager”. When I switch from one view to the next, the site will sign me out so frequently that it triples the time to update portfolios. In addition, the columns are way too narrow, and it appears as if Morningstar narrowed the columns to get MORE SPACE FOR ADS. I am seeing more and more ads on on the top/ bottom, as well as “creeping in” from either side. They also made it harder to navigate, and find things, and in general the website “re-design” SUCKS! 

My “renewal” comes up soon, and seriously thinking about NOT renewing. Will have to find another site to track investments, and starting to look now. Open to suggestions for other sites to REPLACE Morningstar!

They should have tried this “redesign” in some “beta testing” format before just “throwing” it out there, with no thought to the effects on paying customers. Terrible way to run a “customer service” oriented business. So within a month or so, I’ll probably be gone. 

Win
Lucky7
Explorer ○

It is what it is.  They probably have lost a lot of posters, don't know.  I think the fact that among the busiest threads are comments made by a former popular poster, who now just posts at Fidelity Investor Community is symptomatic of something.  Maybe they are hoping for new people to join.  But the thread evokes a good question perhaps M* would answer.  Why does M* maintain these forums?  Seriously, what is their motivation?  Just curious.

0 Kudos
MichaelAustin
Follower ○○

Agree completely!  Morningstar has substantially degraded the functionality and usefulness of the  retail site for Premium Subscribers. 

For example, the "Tax" tab which showed pre and post-tax returns (tax efficiency) or both Mutual Funds and ETFs has been eliminated.   This was an extraordinarily valuable tool for tracking such investments in taxable accounts.

Amazingly this change was made in the face of many article and recommendations by prominent MS Columnists to use this tool to gauge the tax efficiency of fund/ETF investments in taxable accounts.   See Karen Wallace CFP MS article on "How Tax Efficient if my Fund"

Question: I am looking for funds for a taxable account. How can I tell if a fund is tax-efficient? 

Answer: Morningstar.com's fund quote pages contain many useful data points for evaluating a fund's tax efficiency. We'll run through them, and give a brief explainer on how to use each one. 

--

Beyond eliminating the tax tab, MS has degraded the Performance and Risk Tools as well.

In the old site, The Performance, and Risk, (and Tax) pages allowed a user to input, select and compare alternate investments. For example,  the  Performance and Tax efficiency pages allowed me to compare 3-5 fund investments  and see the relative performance and  tax efficiency of each to one another and to standard benchmark measures of performance. In the new site these options and functionalities have been removed. 

Why?  They were working fine for many years.

I can only assume -- as stated by another poster -- that MS is consciously degrading this site to push subscribers into some other more expensive product/platform.   Surely these well known, long-lived tools and data sets have not been thrown away.

Morningstar, please put these tools back, or tell us where you have moved them.  Or there is little reason for me to continue my multi-year subscription to MS Premium.

And be HONEST in your communications: eliminating all of these well running tools MS writers and columnists have explained and highlighted for over a decade is not an improvement in the site. 

It's as if a car manufacturer eliminated Air Conditioning, Back-Up Cameras and Cruise Control and attempted to sell a new model car as "new and improved."

Announcements

To learn more about the recent changes to Morningstar.com, please see the updated FAQ.

See recent posts and all our forums or access the old forums here.

You can read the community guidelines in