cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chang
Valued Contributor

Sick to death of logging in every #%£€* time

How many years is it going to take to fix this? I click “Keep me signed in” but it doesn’t matter. In PM even refreshing the browser (Safari) brings me back to the login screen.

I logged into Amazon.com sometime in 1997 and haven’t been logged out since.

Really. I mean really. What does it take?

0 Kudos
33 Replies
PaulR888
Participant ○○○

Re: Sick to death of logging in every #%£€* time

I guess I am old school.  If personal financial site I always sign out.  Site like Morningstar I just close and never really thought about it that I have to log back in.  My computer remembers my login and password so it only takes a few seconds.  

0 Kudos
chang
Valued Contributor

@PaulR888 wrote:

I guess I am old school.  If personal financial site I always sign out.  Site like Morningstar I just close and never really thought about it that I have to log back in.  My computer remembers my login and password so it only takes a few seconds.  

On a laptop/desktop, the username and password are stored, requiring only an extra click. But on a iPhone (@RyanM !!) they are not. I have to type my e-mail address and password in every morning while I'm on the treadmill in the gym - no easy task.

0 Kudos
Community Manager RyanM Community Manager
Community Manager

@chang wrote:

@PaulR888 wrote:

On a laptop/desktop, the username and password are stored, requiring only an extra click. But on a iPhone (@RyanM !!) they are not. I have to type my e-mail address and password in every morning while I'm on the treadmill in the gym - no easy task.

FWIW, I use the Chrome browser on my iPhone and my username and password for the community are stored.

0 Kudos
SandyinBoca
Follower ○○○

I used to have Chrome but Bing has taken over and I can't get rid of it. I have to re sign in all the time too. Very annoying. So what that we may be using different browsers. It is for M* to fix not for us to hunt around.

0 Kudos
NuEnglander
Follower ○○○

Hi.

For years, I entered M* through an e-mail "Morning Digest" where I enjoyed reading or listening to various articles. Apparently M* has dropped that e-mail. I now have to log into the homepage and search to see if there is anything I am interested in. Supposedly M* is "fixing" some new server problems, but I doubt their veracity. Unfortunately I signed up for three more years last March, does anyone know how  to get their money back and cancel ones subscription on the basis that we are not getting what we were sold? I know, "get real", so any suggestions on an alternative web site?

0 Kudos
Gary1952
Contributor ○○○

All IDs and passwords are stored on my iPhone. Every new ID and password I am asked if I want to store it. Go to Settings>Passwords & Accounts. Turn on AutoFfill Passwords. A great benefit is that you can see your login info in case you need one to sign in off the phone.

I guess M* bought the budget platform for the forums. Why would anyone use Chrome on an iPhone when Apple does a more secure job and doesn't sell your info?

@chang wrote:

@PaulR888 wrote:

0 Kudos
NuEnglander
Follower ○○○

Hi Gary, hopefully this is you.

My wife and I do not have an I phone. What we do have is great grand children. Some one mentioned that they were "old school", well that is me on steroids. I still manage my portfolio and accumulated wealth via "old school" investing where wealth was determined by spending and staying out of debt more so than income. I also do my math on a slide rule. I say all this because there are still a few of use around, but it is getting more and more difficult to negotiate the new technology.

0 Kudos
racqueteer
Participant ○○○

@NuEnglander wrote:

I also do my math on a slide rule.

Coincidentally, my son and granddaughter just stumbled across my old K&E.  I lost track of it decades ago!  Ingenious devices weren't they?!

0 Kudos
fffloyddd
Explorer ○

i'm hit or miss, about 50 50, on having to sign in every time using chrome on my laptop.  to get to the fidelity forums, however, i have to sign in *twice* every time, rain or shine.  i'd go there much more often if

not for that.

0 Kudos
bigsteve
Explorer ○○○

I use Windows 10 and Firefox, and have to log in here every time after I leave.  Previously, I stayed signed in for quite a few years.  Chang,  This problem is evidently a very low priority for M*, and I'm resigned to the fact that it probably won't be fixed.

0 Kudos
grierchas
Explorer ○

I use Safari on a Mac laptop and have to sign in regularly. Why, RyanM, have a "keep me signed in" box that doesn't do what it suggests? How hard a fix can that be?

0 Kudos
Community Manager

@grierchas wrote:

I use Safari on a Mac laptop and have to sign in regularly. Why, RyanM, have a "keep me signed in" box that doesn't do what it suggests? How hard a fix can that be?

Harder than you’d think. 

0 Kudos
chang
Valued Contributor

@RyanM wrote:

@grierchas wrote:

Harder than you’d think. 

Amazon.com figured it out.

Remember the saga of the search function on the old forums. It broke down time after time after time. Yogi found a workaround. Then M* somehow managed to break the workaround. Then another workaround was found. Then that workaround ceased to work, too. It was worse than a joke. There is just no word or description for how utterly pathetic the whole years-long saga was.

Meanwhile, Amazon searches through fifty quintillion data in six nanoseconds and their search function hasn’t broken down since the end of the Pleistocene.

It can’t be that hard.

0 Kudos
Community Manager

@chang wrote:

@RyanM wrote:

@grierchas wrote:

Harder than you’d think. 

Amazon.com figured it out.

Remember the saga of the search function on the old forums. It broke down time after time after time. Yogi found a workaround. Then M* somehow managed to break the workaround. Then another workaround was found. Then that workaround ceased to work, too. It was worse than a joke. There is just no word or description for how utterly pathetic the whole years-long saga was.

Meanwhile, Amazon searches through fifty quintillion data in six nanoseconds and their search function hasn’t broken down since the end of the Pleistocene.

It can’t be that hard.

I wasn’t involved, but I heard about the problems with search on the legacy Discuss site. It was one of the reasons for upgrading to this platform. I certainly hope this sign-in issue doesn’t become a years-long saga, but I do have to get cooperation from a few other teams at Morningstar to get it done. 

0 Kudos
Schroeder
Follower ○○○

Something has recently changed.  I use Firefox and Duck Duck Go.  I always remained signed in even when I closed everything and started up again the next day or even week.  Now, beginning last week, I started to get signed out every time I looked away.  Now I have to sign back in even during the same day.  How long has this been happening to every one else?

0 Kudos
fred495
Participant ○○

@Schroeder wrote:

Something has recently changed.  I use Firefox and Duck Duck Go.  I always remained signed in even when I closed everything and started up again the next day or even week.  Now, beginning last week, I started to get signed out every time I looked away.  Now I have to sign back in even during the same day.  How long has this been happening to every one else?

I have the same problem exactly as you describe it, @Schroeder. I use Firefox and Windows 10.

Why these basic sign-in problems only happen to me at M*, and if to fix is "Harder than you’d think", as @RyanM indicates, then I begin to have these uncomfortable flashbacks of the numerous IT problems that were never corrected in the legacy system. 

Yes, @RyanM, I certainly also hope that "this sign-in issue doesn’t become a years-long saga", as you say. But, it's up to you and your "team" to get it fixed, especially since there wasn't a problem until about a week ago. Sorry, but the ball is in your court.

Good luck,

Fred 

0 Kudos
Community Manager

@fred495 wrote:

@Schroeder wrote:

I have the same problem exactly as you describe it, @Schroeder. I use Firefox and Windows 10.

Why these basic sign-in problems only happen to me at M*, and if to fix is "Harder than you’d think" as @RyanM indicates, then I begin to have these uncomfortable flashbacks of the numerous IT problems that were never corrected in the legacy system. 

Yes, @RyanM, I certainly also hope that "this sign-in issue doesn’t become a years-long saga", as you say. But, it's up to you and your "team" to get it fixed, especially since there wasn't a problem until about a week ago. Sorry, but the ball is in your court.

Good luck,

Fred 

The request was held up in security review, but that hurdle has been cleared. I'll do my best to keep it moving along.

Thanks,

RyanM

fred495
Participant ○○

Thanks,  @RyanM, appreciate your speedy reply.

Your responsiveness to the concerns of your clients is certainly a definite improvement compared to my experience on the legacy site. There, unfortunately, a lot of the suggestions and/or problems that were brought to the attention of M* personnel ("the team", for example) were never followed up and followed through.

Again, good luck.

Fred

RainGater
Participant ○

@RyanM wrote:
The request was held up in security review, but that hurdle has been cleared. I'll do my best to keep it moving along.

It's great to see that you are moving it along but am really curious that it's clearly a bug and not sure why it was held up in security review if a bug needs to be fixed?  I was a developer all my life and if some issue like this pops up, the first thing we do is to fix it, test it thoroughly as we missed it the first time, and roll the change ASAP. But, it looks like fixing bugs takes a long time at M*. Why to even roll a feature and not test it across several modern browsers is beyond me.

Anyways, glad to see that you are at least communicating here or else we will be left in the dark. Thank you for that.

0 Kudos
Announcements

To learn more about the recent changes to Morningstar.com, please see the updated FAQ.

See recent posts and all our forums or access the old forums here.

You can read the community guidelines in