cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
gar-pdx
Follower ○○

Redesigned M* Website

As a longtime subscriber to Morningstar Premium , I think the recent redo of the website has dumbed it down to the point of being nearly unusable. This is especially true of the key info: Income Statement, BalanceSheet,and Cash Flow. Once upon a time you could scan each of these for multiple years with very little scrolling up/down left/right. Now for what? bigger font? it is now impossible to see the whole picture on a compact page. This dumbing down isn’t of course limited to Morningstar— it is the result of web programmers (who don’t know much) making it “pretty” with no regard to functionality.

One other detrimental change: In the past one could down load data on the top 100 holdings of a given mutual fund. Useful to me. Kissed that goodbye too.

What will save Morningstar’s new web pages is that new users will have no sense of what is past. what ya’ sees is what ya’gets. good night, and good luck fellow investors. (It’s not all bad, just less good).

7 Replies
chang
Contributor ○○

Re: Redesigned M* Website

“One other detrimental change: In the past one could down load data on the top 100 holdings of a given mutual fund. Useful to me. Kissed that goodbye too.”

While we’re taking a stroll down memory lane, does anyone else remember back in the 2005-2010 years you could see a fund’s top 25 holdings during the trading day and see their instantaneous price and change from prior closing price? This was a nice feature if you wanted to “fine tune” your “buying the dip”.
nromsted
Follower ○○○

I would like to add my concern in the matter of not being able to see the current price of the top 25 (or 100) holdings.

Just this week, a site change has eliminated the ability to go directly to the old fund portfolio details screen, as in http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/details?t=VWENX.  I'm particularly disappointed in this change since this page had a lot more pertinent detail on the holdings of the fund than does the current fund portfolio page.  Not just current prices of holdings, but a lot of other information - like country, market cap, recent performance measures, etc.  All of this good data, as well as the current price action, are now gone, gone, gone.

I hope that Morningstar reconsiders, and reinstates the old fund portfolio details page, while it contemplates a redesign of its new fund portfolio to incorporate these vital statistics.

yogibearbull
Contributor ○○○

@nromsted wrote:

I would like to add my concern in the matter of not being able to see the current price of the top 25 (or 100) holdings.

Just this week, a site change has eliminated the ability to go directly to the old fund portfolio details screen, as in http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/details?t=VWENX.  I'm particularly disappointed in this change since this page had a lot more pertinent detail on the holdings of the fund than does the current fund portfolio page.  Not just current prices of holdings, but a lot of other information - like country, market cap, recent performance measures, etc.  All of this good data, as well as the current price action, are now gone, gone, gone.

I hope that Morningstar reconsiders, and reinstates the old fund portfolio details page, while it contemplates a redesign of its new fund portfolio to incorporate these vital statistics.

You scared me.

But the old Portfolio-Holdings link still works.   http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/holdings?t=VWENX&region=usa&culture=en-US

YBB
0 Kudos
nromsted
Follower ○○○

Thanks for the link Yogi,

I will make use of it.  So I guess I have to live with limited info on just the top 25 for awhile.

Thinking about the details page a bit more, I'm also going to miss the country map and the fund holding percents by country that were only on the portfolio details page.

If anyone else has figured out to get to that old page, I'd like to hear about it.

0 Kudos
buddy17
Explorer ○

My guess is that link will not work much longer. The old website structure was still accessible through the Morningstar Investment Research Center (through public libraries), and today I now see the below text at the top of the websites. Very unfortunate.....

"Redesigned security quote pages will be launching October 24th. To learn about the new pages, download the guide."
0 Kudos
nromsted
Follower ○○○

Well thank you M*.  As of this morning, it looks like the old fund portfolio details page is now back on-line.

0 Kudos
jrlfunds
Explorer ○

Yes, thank you indeed.  I noticed yesterday (in Firefox) that the usual old link that says "Welcome, null!" at the top instead of username was acting like I wasn't logged-in and showing me all the + premium boxes I shouldn't see, hiding fund ratings, etc.  Log-in and out didn't change it.  As a result you couldn't do any of the premium features which the top 100 holdings are.  Today, I am "welcome null" again and it all works.

You can call me null all you want, just let us keep this feature.

0 Kudos
Announcements

To learn more about the recent changes to Morningstar.com, please see the updated FAQ.

See recent posts and all our forums or access the old forums here.

You can read the community guidelines in