cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nahtanoj
Explorer ○

Performance Comparison Issue

When I tried to use the new "Show Interactive Chart" feature under the "Performance" tab to compare performance of an actively managed emerging market fund (VMMSX) with an emerging market index fund (VWO), the tool gives you the choice of five different versions of VWO:  VWO/NV, VWO/SO, VWO/EU and VWO/IV, and the five different versions have dramatically different performance figures. 

For example, as of November 7, 2019, the one-year performance of the five different versions ranges from - 35% for one version, to - 8.78% for another version, to 0% for another version, to 8.32% for another version, to 9.48% for another version.  Meanwhile, if you just look up VWO by itself, Morningstar says its one-year performance is 10.96% on a price basis and 12.32% on a NAV basis - which is completely different than all five performance figures that appear in the "Show Interactive Chart" tool.

What is the significance of all of these wildly different performance numbers?  Do they represent some kind of a derivative?  If I want to see the actual performance of the fund, what am I supposed to do?  This is really baffling, and the website doesn't seem to have any explanation.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
yogibearbull
Valued Contributor

Re: Performance Comparison Issue [VWO/NV, VWO/IV]

@Nahtanoj wrote:

When I tried to use the new "Show Interactive Chart" feature under the "Performance" tab to compare performance of an actively managed emerging market fund (VMMSX) with an emerging market index fund (VWO), the tool gives you the choice of five different versions of VWO:  VWO/NV, VWO/SO, VWO/EU and VWO/IV, and the five different versions have dramatically different performance figures. 

For example, as of November 7, 2019, the one-year performance of the five different versions ranges from - 35% for one version, to - 8.78% for another version, to 0% for another version, to 8.32% for another version, to 9.48% for another version.  Meanwhile, if you just look up VWO by itself, Morningstar says its one-year performance is 10.96% on a price basis and 12.32% on a NAV basis - which is completely different than all five performance figures that appear in the "Show Interactive Chart" tool.

What is the significance of all of these wildly different performance numbers?  Do they represent some kind of a derivative?  If I want to see the actual performance of the fund, what am I supposed to do?  This is really baffling, and the website doesn't seem to have any explanation.

VWO/NV is the ETF NAV.

VWO/IV is its real-time indicative value.

No idea what VWO/SO, VWO/TC, VWO/EU are - other sites don't provide any meaningful data for those.

YBB
0 Kudos
yogibearbull
Valued Contributor

But the real issue, as has been noted by other posters, is that when the ETF VWO is added to the VEIEX Growth-of-1OK chart [new], the ETF is price-only; time 5 yrs.

Screenshot 2019-11-07 20.51.48.png

Compare this to the old charts for VEIEX, VWO,

Screenshot 2019-11-07 20.52.12.png

YBB
0 Kudos
Nahtanoj
Explorer ○

So "NV" is supposed to be NAV, but it's price only, and not total return.  That may be why it doesn't match the NAV performance figure reported on the webpage for VWO.  And three of the four other reported performance figures are a complete mystery.  

This is pretty poor.  As a long-time premium subscriber, I once again ask M* to restore the "Compare" functionality to its site for retail investors like me.

0 Kudos
Nahtanoj
Explorer ○

Thanks to YBB for the helpful explanation.

0 Kudos
Announcements

To learn more about the recent changes to Morningstar.com, please see the updated FAQ.

See recent posts and all our forums or access the old forums here.

You can read the community guidelines in