cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dtobisk
Explorer ○

New Design—BAD NEWS!

I’ve just started looking over the new design, and I am not happy. First of all, what happened to the Compare feature that was part of the Performance tab on data pages? I used this constantly. Further, the Premium feature part of the Portfolio page gave many more options about the holdings of a fund or ETF. I am certain I am going to find other reasons to HATE this new design, and probably fewer reasons to pay for a premium membership.

161 Replies
rforno
Participant ○

Re: New Design—BAD NEWS!

Agreed!    The 'compare' feature was a huge benefit of the M* site and it's now gone.    Also, where did 'Fund Family' information go?  The new fund pages don't show it ... so how are we supposed to peruse all funds in the family like we used to?    One step forward for looks, four steps back on functionality.  :(((((((

forrest
Follower ○○○

Can someone say if the tax cost ratio of a fund is available in the new format?

Thanks,

--Forrest

Sookegary
Explorer ○

Seriously?  I just looked and also cannot find "compare"; surely that's just an over site.  Also can not find the "tax" tab for comparing funds before/after tax. 

This new site is also even slower than the old one and also buggy.  To access different features today I've already signed in three different times.  It has also locked up on me twice.  Note to M*:  when you make design changes actually ask the people who use the site about the changes.

Sookegary
Explorer ○

Agreed!

perrywinkle
Explorer ○○○

+1.  Much like the "new" discussions / forum the font size is gigantic as is the amount of unnecessary white space, while the information density is small.  Information that used to be on the main quote page is spread out over several tabs if available at all.  Where is the TTM (trailing 12 month yield), tax information, list of ticker symbols for other classes of the fund and their minimum investment levels, where to buy the fund (aka which brokers), etc, etc etc?

I checked the version available online through my local library and  all the old style quote pages are currently available, at least for now.  However, the charts are all empty.  Sigh...

perrywinkle
Explorer ○○○

@Sookegary wrote:

Seriously?  I just looked and also cannot find "compare"; surely that's just an over site.  Also can not find the "tax" tab for comparing funds before/after tax. 

This new site is also even slower than the old one and also buggy.  To access different features today I've already signed in three different times.  It has also locked up on me twice.  Note to M*:  when you make design changes actually ask the people who use the site about the changes.

On the main Quote page, scroll down to the Growth of 10,000 chart and click on the Show Interactive Chart button. At the top of that chart you will see the area to Add Comparison symbols.  However, I haven't found any way to compare the Risk of various funds.  That useful feature seems to have been eliminated.

0 Kudos
jmrdnc
Participant ○

@rforno wrote:

Agreed!    The 'compare' feature was a huge benefit of the M* site and it's now gone.    Also, where did 'Fund Family' information go?  The new fund pages don't show it ... so how are we supposed to peruse all funds in the family like we used to?    One step forward for looks, four steps back on functionality.  :(((((((

Under (red) Morningstar at top of page, click sub-heading Research then Mutual Funds then Tools then Fund Compare or Fund Quick Rank then click on Name for all funds in family or for one family type in Name of Family (sponsor).

Dtobisk
Explorer ○

Yes, I actually tried that a few times earlier, around the time I posted my original comment. I typed in symbols like VFIAX (Vanguard 500 Admiral) or JACTX (Janus Forty) into a chart for a different fund (Vanguard Primecap) and often got “No Reply” instead of a the fund name to select, or when I typed in 2 funds to compare, only one comparison line appeared. So very buggy. Also, the old version had a table of comparisons for 10 years and for annualized returns (1 year, 3 yrs, 5 yrs, etc) that was more useful to me than a chart, and I don’t see that now.

jmrdnc
Participant ○

The Graph Fund Compare was not working when I tried to use it last week.

The click chain I entered below is for a 'verbal' (chart) compare - not a graph. 

0 Kudos
Dtobisk
Explorer ○

I used to use that Fund Compare tool back in the day when Compare under Performance wasn’t around (or maybe when I didn’t know it existed). The tool doesn’t even work on my iPad—probably some blocking or plug-in issue—though I could try it later on my desktop. Still, I never found it to have the same functionality as Compare/Performance, though it does have some different value.

Bruzer
Participant ○○○

@Sookegary wrote:

This never, EVER, happens in the world of software or web updates/redesign/"improvements". It's just in their blood to make things less user-friendly, or to hide or eliminate features that most people liked and learned to use by rote. This has always been the case in my 25 years of being online. Sometimes the changes aren't too bad, other times they are ridiculous.

You'd think the nerds would grasp these simple ideas by now, but they haven't nor do I expect them to. They are in their own world, insulated from the real world, and as long as nobody forces them to be normal they will remain abnormal.

Their creed: "Change, just for the sake of change, is always good."

rforno
Participant ○

@jmrdnc wrote:

@rforno wrote:

Under (red) Morningstar at top of page, click sub-heading Research then Mutual Funds then Tools then Fund Compare or Fund Quick Rank then click on Name for all funds in family or for one family type in Name of Family (sponsor).

Thx.  Not exactly as easy to get to from a fund's page, but .... it's there if I need it.

yogibearbull
Valued Contributor

@jmrdnc wrote:

@rforno wrote:

Fund Compare within fund pages was much more user-friendly.

YBB
forrest
Follower ○○○

Thanks!

--Forrest

0 Kudos
norbertc
Contributor ○○

0 Kudos
Dtobisk
Explorer ○

I just went through the tabs for a fund and didn’t see Tax Cost or the Tax-Cost Compare feature that the old design had.

0 Kudos
Nahtanoj
Explorer ○

As a Premium subsciber, I use the “Compare” feature all the time.  I use it in the “Portfolio” section to compare fund portfolios with the portfolios of other funds and with specified indices and benchmarks.  I also use it in the “Performance” section.  It is probably the single most useful feature on the Morningstar website.  I was very unhappy when Morningstar took it away from the mobile site accessible to iPads a few months ago, but it was still available on the desktop, so there was a workaround.  Now the workaround is gone, too.  

I note that M* has added a “Show Interactive Comparison” feature to the Performance” section, perhaps in the mistaken belief that this would be an adequate replacement for the “Compare” function.  It is not.  For one thing, it does not work in the “Portfolio” section at all.  For another, it does not produce tabular data showing performance, plus or minus, etc. for varying time periods in the tables on the performance page at all, which was a valuable feature of the “Compare” function.  Furthermore, it is balky and difficult to use.  For example, it does not allow users to input ticker symbols for mutual funds.

Morningstar should reconsider its decision to downgrade the quality of its website, and it should bring back the “Compare” function.

Gary1952
Contributor ○○○

@yogibearbull wrote:

@jmrdnc wrote:

@rforno wrote:

Fund Compare within fund pages was much more user-friendly.

The ENTIRE site used to be much more user-friendly. It was top notch research. Not so much now.

grierchas
Explorer ○○

Where's "compare"? Where's ex-dividend date? Where's dividend history? Aren't these stats relevant to M* readers and subscribers?

Announcements

To learn more about the recent changes to Morningstar.com, please see the updated FAQ.

See recent posts and all our forums or access the old forums here.

You can read the community guidelines in