cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Follower ○○

Re: Morningstar.com FAQ - Latest Updates on the New Site

Scroll Bar & other “Basic” navigation issues. In addition to the scroll bar either not positioned for easy use or “non-Existent” there are two other navigation issues I’ve run into especially on an iPad. NOTE: I did not have these issues prior to the latest “Upgrade”. First I cannot scroll or get a complete look at any view that does not “fit” on the screen. Maybe auto detecting the screen size and allowing you to change the Font size might help. Second move the Export/Print/Portfolio Monitor buttons to the left of the page. At least that way you could export the full page even if you cannot scroll to the right.

This is on a 12.9 iPad Pro using either Safari or Chrome. These are or should be supported Browsers so iPad or PC this should work. 

Thanks KJH

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Ryan,

On the "growth of $10,000", why don't you tell us what category the fund is in and which index it is they're comparing it to?

Thanks, CG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@grierchas wrote:

Ryan,

On the "growth of $10,000", why don't you tell us what category the fund is in and which index it is they're comparing it to?

Thanks, CG

Category is mentioned in 4 tabs - Quote, Performance, Risk, Portfolio. New interactive Growth-of-10K is a clean unlinkable chart, so the question is unclear. I don't like the new charts, and I can list many problems, but that is another issue.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

OK. Now I see it. Thank you, YBB.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Where can we see the distribution dates and amounts of a mutual fund?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Cindy wrote:

Where can we see the distribution dates and amounts of a mutual fund?

There is Distribution tab now in the Performance tab.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

On the Quote page why doesn't all the info come up for all funds? It appears for some but not all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

In the "mutual fund" section, there used to be "category returns" which I found very useful. It is no longer there.  Is there any way I can find "category returns"?

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Cindy wrote:

In the "mutual fund" section, there used to be "category returns" which I found very useful. It is no longer there.  Is there any way I can find "category returns"?

On Quote and Performance pages, there is +/- Category and +/- Index that show respective deviations for fund %TR.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Thanks YBB.

But it is different from "category returns" in the "fund" section where I can see if "large value" is now (1 month)  performing better than "large growth", for example..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Cindy wrote:

Thanks YBB.

But it is different from "category returns" in the "fund" section where I can see if "large value" is now (1 month)  performing better than "large growth", for example..

Ok. I have this old bookmark that seems to be updated,   https://news.morningstar.com/fund-category-returns/

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Well, they did indeed add back the ability to compare ETFs and funds on the same performance page, but now it is one level harder to get to (Performance --> Show Interactive Chart --> Compare) , and shows much less information. The comparison of SLQD with PONAX is shown here, before and after the change. The old charts understood you were looking - obviously - at which one either to invest in, or sell, so below the comparison graphic you could view the returns over time. It was ideal to compare funds under different market conditions .... one could even infer the holdings of funds by their behavior during (more volatile) periods of rising inflation, lowering inflation, tariff wars, quantitative easing, and so forth. Much could be learned by assessing fund performance, one against another, for an active vs indexed fund. You tease out which funds clearly employed hedges (going to cash, shorts, etc) in the worst of bear markets. But - All Gone. Look at what we got now - it's pretty shocking. The performance figures are stripped.1909 Morningstar - Change to Performance Reports2.jpg

Highlighted
Explorer ○

Thanks so much YBB.

I really appreciate it.

You must have foresight that this is going to happen and you were prepared for it!

I am sure a lot of us are very grateful to you..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

The old "Ratings Risk" tab used to offer a 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

The old "Ratings & Risk" tab used to offer a similar Compare option. How can I get a compare on the new Risk tab?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Charts

@RyanM

I see that we can now include OEFs, ETFs, and CEFs on a single chart.  (Did I miss it before?  That's possible.)  Here's a chart for PIMIX, PTIAX, LQD, and PDI:

ScreenHunter 640.png

There's just one problem: the chart shows total returns for OEFs (price changes + dividends reinvested), but shows price changes only for ETFs and CEFs.

Can you fix it, please?

TIA,

N.

Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Charts

@norbertc wrote:

@RyanM

I see that we can now include OEFs, ETFs, and CEFs on a single chart.  (Did I miss it before?  That's possible.)  Here's a chart for PIMIX, PTIAX, LQD, and PDI:

ScreenHunter 640.png

There's just one problem: the chart shows total returns for OEFs (price changes + dividends reinvested), but shows price changes only for ETFs and CEFs.

Can you fix it, please?

TIA,

N.

@Darrin is this a known issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@RyanM , @Darrin , correct Growth-of-10K charts corresponding to the ones posted by @norbertc look like this, using the old M* Charts.

PIMIX, PTIAX, LQD, PDI [NAV] 5-Yr

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

I agree the most useful data from Mornings

@CherylBoca wrote:

Well, they did indeed add back the ability to compare ETFs and funds on the same performance page, but now it is one level harder to get to (Performance --> Show Interactive Chart --> Compare) , and shows much less information. The comparison of SLQD with PONAX is shown here, before and after the change. The old charts understood you were looking - obviously - at which one either to invest in, or sell, so below the comparison graphic you could view the returns over time. It was ideal to compare funds under different market conditions .... one could even infer the holdings of funds by their behavior during (more volatile) periods of rising inflation, lowering inflation, tariff wars, quantitative easing, and so forth. Much could be learned by assessing fund performance, one against another, for an active vs indexed fund. You tease out which funds clearly employed hedges (going to cash, shorts, etc) in the worst of bear markets. But - All Gone. Look at what we got now - it's pretty shocking. The performance figures are stripped.1909 Morningstar - Change to Performance Reports2.jpg

tar was the  ability to compare several funds on the same page— and I do  prefer numbers over charts. It is now useless to me  and very aggravating so I rarely come especially now that they’ve destroyed the forums—they seem impossible to navigate.  It’s very sad.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

@RyanM wrote:

@norbertc wrote:

@RyanM

ScreenHunter 640.png

Can you fix it, please?

TIA,

N.

@Darrin is this a known issue?

Why is that my charts no longer give me the choice to pick specific date ranges?  The date ranges between Max and Frequency are now missing from my charts.  Did I do something to cause this?

0 Kudos
Announcements