cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
wayoutwest
Participant ○

Latest Morningstar site changes

Now Discuss is no longer on the top menu pull-down. It has been moved to Quick Links on the right side of the homepage. Can no longer access it from other pages (from top menu) but must return to homepage. I think that's poor design.

223 Replies
ch_tielfan
Explorer ○

Re: Latest Morningstar site changes

It also looks like you can't return to the main site from the forum, and they've designed it so you can't see the previous comments while you're typing your reply.  It's the worst design I've ever seen.  Maybe they're trying to discourage discussion.

GLI2019
Participant ○○○

My mother used to tell us kids not to fidget. 

Morningstar: stop fidgeting!

Bob

Carman
Follower ○○○

Looks like the more they "improve" it, the less easy it is to use. Someone needs to hire IT staff who understand functional design and listen to their customers before it's too late to salvage a useful product.

ch_tielfan
Explorer ○

I cancelled my premium membership because of how user-unfriendly the investment information has become.  Want to see the chart on a mutual fund's performance for a specific time period?  Prepare for a fight.  Want to see its most recent dividends?  Look it up on Yahoo Finance, because Morningstar doesn't seem to have this information any more.  I'm not going to pay for this crappy service.

When I called up to cancel, they said they would be improving the site over the next couple of weeks.  They should have improved it before they put it online. 

rhythmmethod
Explorer ○○○

I was about to complain about the new site, unwieldy navigation and lack of information - BUT - I just received a "Responsive" badge. It's all-good. What do I need investment info for when I've got several virtual badges?!

Capital
Participant ○○○

@rhythmmethod wrote:

I was about to complain about the new site, unwieldy navigation and lack of information - BUT - I just received a "Responsive" badge. It's all-good. What do I need with investment info for when I've got several virtual badges?!

They Are My Kudos
My only Kudos
They make me happy
All Thru the Day
You’ll never know, M
How much I love them
Please don’t take my Kudo’s away

FYI - I earned the "Well Liked" badge today. I'm just on top of the world!!!

Capital
wayoutwest
Participant ○

The more I use the altered site, the more problems. Portfolio's floating header is unstable: it works for a bit then disappears as I scroll down. If I refresh a portfolio, it asks me to sign in again. When I do, it says I'm already signed in. Click "continue" and it takes me to the homepage. 

There's a thing called beta testing. Oh, never mind.

springerms
Follower ○○○

Do you guys ever get feedback on your software changes before they're released?????  Each iteration gets worse and worse, making it harder and harder to get needed information.  One of the most important functions for me is charting and wow a big step backwards!! Some issues:

1) When using the interactive chart function clicking anywhere outside the chart and bingo, the chart disappears into the ether. Just a bit annoying after spending considerable time building the chart and accidentally clicking outside the boundary and losing  a good deal of work. Really gives one a warm and fuzzy feeling.....

2) The comparison function in the charts doesn't recognize many legitimate funds/etfs.

3) Having lots of ways to set up the chart is nice, but let us set up default,

The discussion section is a mess. I don't want to see hundreds of new messages, I want to get to the subject forums, how do I do this??

And I've only spent a few minutes with the new software. On a positive note it is faster, but that speed isn't useful given the current mess.

M. Springer

brianhuss
Follower ○○

Have they removed the ability to print a pdf version of a mutual fund report from the new iteration?  

astrokng
Explorer ○○○

Well, at least I found it. I had to enter "forum" in the search box to find it, but it worked. Man, how to discourage users from using your site. 

mlott1
Participant ○○

This is just...sad.  I'm already not participating nearly as much as I used to, and now I have to fumble around and guess and randomly click until the forum magically appears.  Sigh.

springerms
Follower ○○○

Thx.

There's also a Discussion Community link on the main page, but when I clicked on it I saw Community Activity which listed tons of unstructured individual questions in chronological order, not the forums I wanted and you found. What I didn't notice was the Discussions link at the top of the page which let one get to the forums. Just too many button presses for my tastes.

wayoutwest
Participant ○

The best thing is that the M* website arc reminds me of a favorite Bruce Springsteen song...

"One Step Up"
Woke up this morning my house was cold
Checked out the furnace she wasn't burnin'
Went out and hopped in my old Ford
Hit the engine but she ain't turnin'
We've given each other some hard lessons lately
But we ain't learnin'
We're the same sad story that's a fact
One step up and two steps back

fpajerski
Explorer ○○○

Have they removed the ability to print a pdf version of a mutual fund report from the new iteration?  

It appears so.

And, I have situations in monitoring and researching investments where the ability to print a section of fund info (quote, performance, portfolio, etc.) is valuable to me ... and the function to produce the information displayed as a formatted-for-printing page also now seems to be missing.  Doing a Chrome "print" on the entire screen only captures some of the data displayed,  I've reported this and now have a trouble-ticket assigned, let's see what the excuse will be.

Yes, for the individual retail investor, the performance feels better and hopefully the site will be more reliable now too ... but in general all the "improvements" for too many years too often have made things more ineffective and inefficient here, and like others I now am spending my time (and money) elsewhere.  If one can still see the old Discuss M* forum, one can see maybe 15 years of complaints/suggestions about M* IT failures ... with not much timely response (if at all) other than that the "team" will be notified (maybe),

Foghorn
Follower ○○○

It might be time for us to move, to another site and let them keep there badges?

Bruzer
Participant ○○○

square wheels.jpg

GLI2019
Participant ○○○

Outstanding, Capital!

0 Kudos
bujia
Explorer ○○

M* should be ashamed to actually think that the new site is an improvement.    I've been on the Discussion Boards for years, and this is the worst I've seen. Just look at the participation rate. I'm almost ready to stop my premium membership.

Gary1952
Participant ○○○

This site has become beyond pathetic.The quote page is not unusable for investigation. How could any owner be proud of this work?  seems this site is about all show and no go.

Announcements

To learn more about the recent changes to Morningstar.com, please see the updated FAQ.

See recent posts and all our forums or access the old forums here.

You can read the community guidelines in