cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○

Interactive chart frquency

Enter ETF in quote box, go to interactive chart, and minimum frequency is now 1 mo. I have been using this every day and until today minimum frequency was 1 day which updated changes every minute or so. Has M* given any word on this as a planned change?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Re: Interactive chart frquency

Same problem. Can find no settings. Dailies shown for stocks only. No intraday for funds now. Can add funds to comparison and will show dailies, but if you change focus to fund, whole thing shifts to one month. Custom time periods for chart cannot be chosen less than one month.  Portfolio has current daily value.  Have Had to pull up other sites to get information. Too bad, MS has been a very easy to use site. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@archer wrote:

Enter ETF in quote box, go to interactive chart, and minimum frequency is now 1 mo. I have been using this every day and until today minimum frequency was 1 day which updated changes every minute or so. Has M* given any word on this as a planned change?

Don't start with ETF but use OEF instead.  Example instead of SPY use VFIAX. See (link)

Now you can add ETF,CEF too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Wenceslau wrote:

Same problem. Can find no settings. Dailies shown for stocks only. No intraday for funds now. Can add funds to comparison and will show dailies, but if you change focus to fund, whole thing shifts to one month. Custom time periods for chart cannot be chosen less than one month.  Portfolio has current daily value.  Have Had to pull up other sites to get information. Too bad, MS has been a very easy to use site. 

For less than 1M, piggybacking on a stock chart with ETF TICKER/IV seems to be the only way now.

Screenshot 2020-08-26 09.23.33.png

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Thanks, Yogi, It works for SPY/IV but not for SPY. On the drop down menu There are the categories of Index, equities, mutual funds, and ETFS.

SO, what exactly is SPY/IV and how does it compare to SPY? What does IV stand for?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

SPY/IV in index section is its indicative value at any time.

If use SPY from ETF section, then it changes only at the end of day and chart is like stair steps.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

So, it seems the solution is to first enter a stock ticker and then add whatever ETF you want, keeping in mind it needs to be from the index menu. (SPY/IV not SPY). This is a work around but since any individual stock will likely have quite a bit more intraday movement movement than an ETF, the chart will scale to accommodate the larger movement of the stock and the ETF will appear more as a flat line than if you could have just entered the ETF ticker at the start like we all could until earlier this week. Why on earth would M* change their charting to not show intraday performance of ETFs, given that ETFs were largely designed for the purpose of trading like stocks?

But it is what it is. Thanks Yogi for the workaround.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Moderator Moderator

Hi FD 1001,

For any fund related securities, our interactive chart defaults now to use 1M as the minimal start because they usually price daily and it gives more meaningful overview of the historical performance of the fund. You can always use the date range to change the date manually. I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mihaela D

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Mihaela , well, mutual funds/OEFs price daily, but ETFs price continuously just as stocks. So, this sudden change for ETFs was not well thought out.

YBB
Highlighted
Contributor ○

I'm now using Yahoo charts for reading intraday for multiple tickers. Where things left off with M* tech rep is that my request for the restoration  of intraday will be considered. Yeah, we'll see how that goes. Yahoo's chart takes some getting used to, which I have yet to do. It is easy to give input accidentally with the track pad.

0 Kudos
Announcements