cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
     
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

A way to access the old information & formatting

Click the link below or copy the link into your browser if that doesn't work. All the old information seems to be there. You can change the security you want to view using the quote box and navigate as before. I was able to compare funds of different types, both on performance and risk.

http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/ratings-risk.action?t=PONAX&region=usa&culture=en-US

 

Tags (1)
19 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: A way to access the old information & formatting

 


@desmo wrote:

Click the link below or copy the link into your browser if that doesn't work. All the old information seems to be there. You can change the security you want to view using the quote box and navigate as before. I was able to compare funds of different types, both on performance and risk.

http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/ratings-risk.action?t=PONAX&region=usa&culture=en-US

 


Thank you, so much, desmo. Much appreciated.

Entering different fund symbols in the quote box works beautifully for OEFs, but apparently not for ETFs or CEFs. For example, entering PDI, a CEF, in the quote box, I get the following message:

 We could not find the security (PDI) you are looking for. Please try again using the search below.
Having difficulties locating your security? Common lookup errors can help.
Need more help? Please click Morningstar Help and tell us the ticker or the name of the security you are trying to find.

 

However, I can get the PDI data if I enter the symbol directly in the link. Just one of those quirky M* messages that we have become all too familiar with over the years.

Anyway,this is a great help and makes you realize how superior the old site is. I just hope M* doesn't kill the link.

Good luck and thanks, again.

Fred

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: A way to access the old information & formatting

@desmo , thanks.

However, this will work only for a while.

These old-pages would remain accessible via old links but their data won't be updated. So, as days, weeks, months pass by,  the data on various old-pages would become stale. And after a while, even these old links will stop working.

For example, PONAX Performance old-page is showing Daily info as of yesterday [7/16/19] and it hasn't been updated for today [7/17/19].   http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=PONAX&region=usa&culture=en-US

Ratings & Risk old-page will remain stuck at 6/30/19 and that will be fine for a while but not after a few weeks/months.

Old format had lot more data, while the new format has less data. Only a handful of old features may be restored on popular demand.

I suspect that more data will be available in professional or advisor versions.

 

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: A way to access the old information & formatting


@yogibearbull wrote:

@desmo , thanks.

However, this will work only for a while.

These old-pages would remain accessible via old links but their data won't be updated. So, as days, weeks, months pass by,  the data on various old-pages would become stale. And after a while, even these old links will stop working.

For example, PONAX Performance old-page is showing Daily info as of yesterday [7/16/19] and it hasn't been updated for today [7/17/19].   http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=PONAX&region=usa&culture=en-US

Ratings & Risk old-page will remain stuck at 6/30/19 and that will be fine for a while but not after a few weeks/months.

Old format had lot more data, while the new format has less data. Only a handful of old features may be restored on popular demand.

I suspect that more data will be available in professional or advisor versions.

 


@yogibearbull 

Sorry to hear that, but at least, up to a point, it will still be a good source for detailed historical performance data that is now no longer available on the new site.

But, I am also curious if you, as one of the most knowledgeable users of the old site, were at all consulted by M* with respect to the changes and deletions that are reflected on this new site? Did you have any input or asked to make significant suggestions. If not, it will at least explain why this new site is receiving such negative reviews from almost all posters that I have come across, so far.

Thanks,

Fred

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: A way to access the old information & formatting

@fred495 , M* Homepage has this line at the top:  We're making a few site updates. Learn more here.

And that click includes: "We’re making some updates to Morningstar.com over the next several days. For starters, you can expect improved site speed and performance. Also, we've modified the navigation menu based on both your input and how members are using the site. Lastly, as a result of upgrading our sign-in process, you’ll be asked to sign-in upon your next visit. We hope you’ll find these changes add up to a site experience that even better connects you to the investment expertise and analysis you’re looking for."

It seems that M* consulted some users or user groups, but I wasn't part of any group M* consulted.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: A way to access the old information & formatting


@yogibearbull wrote:

It seems that M* consulted some users or user groups, but I wasn't part of any group M* consulted.


I hear you, yogi. Sadly, it's now quite obvious to me that M* made a big mistake in not consulting you. I am sure that as a result of your valuable input we would have had a significantly better product to work with. When will M* ever learn from its past mistakes?

Fred

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Re: A way to access the old information & formatting

Thank you for this.  I have made clear to my Morningstar rep my displeasure at the downgraded user experience on the new site.  I can't fathom what Morningstar was trying to achieve by removing useful data and making it harder to access and use what's left.  The old site was far superior at meeting my needs. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: A way to access the old information & formatting


@yogibearbull wrote:

@fred495 , M* Homepage has this line at the top:  We're making a few site updates. Learn more here.

And that click includes: "We’re making some updates to Morningstar.com over the next several days. For starters, you can expect improved site speed and performance. Also, we've modified the navigation menu based on both your input and how members are using the site. Lastly, as a result of upgrading our sign-in process, you’ll be asked to sign-in upon your next visit. We hope you’ll find these changes add up to a site experience that even better connects you to the investment expertise and analysis you’re looking for."

It seems that M* consulted some users or user groups, but I wasn't part of any group M* consulted.


"Your input" and consulted are two different things.  I would not be surprised if "your input" was simply complaints versus some proactive measure on the part of M* ...

ctyankee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: A way to access the old information & formatting


@yogibearbull wrote:

@desmo , thanks.

However, this will work only for a while.

These old-pages would remain accessible via old links but their data won't be updated. So, as days, weeks, months pass by,  the data on various old-pages would become stale. And after a while, even these old links will stop working.

For example, PONAX Performance old-page is showing Daily info as of yesterday [7/16/19] and it hasn't been updated for today [7/17/19].   http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=PONAX&region=usa&culture=en-US

Ratings & Risk old-page will remain stuck at 6/30/19 and that will be fine for a while but not after a few weeks/months.

Old format had lot more data, while the new format has less data. Only a handful of old features may be restored on popular demand.

I suspect that more data will be available in professional or advisor versions.

 


I see now that Performance old-page was updated overnight to 7/17/19. So, may be I was too pessimistic last night when the new-page updated but the old-page didn't. But updating old-pages later is OK.

So long as M* keeps updating old-pages, accessing them via old links would be fine.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Re: A way to access the old information & formatting

@Darrin Could you please have the old link shared by @desmo continue to be available while you are fixing all of the issues with the new site, and ensure that all the data sources continue to be updated?

It would be nice to get a commitment from Morningstar that all these issues will be addressed quickly.

Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: A way to access the old information & formatting

I access via our local library portal and everything is still in the old format. I understand most of you pay for premium and have more features using that, but it is at least an option for research (for now, at least).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: A way to access the old information & formatting

 

Thanks so much, desmo.

Do you have any way of accessing the old-style quote page?

When I switch to the quote page from any of the old-style pages via your link, I get the new-style quote page.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: A way to access the old information & formatting


@buddy17 wrote:
I access via our local library portal and everything is still in the old format. I understand most of you pay for premium and have more features using that, but it is at least an option for research (for now, at least).

I access Morningstar Investment Research Center (MIRC) via my library system's portal.
MIRC allows direct comparison of funds (for performance, rating & risk, tax).
Mutual fund Analyst Reports are also available via the PDF format.
M* has not updated MIRC and hopefully they will not decide to "improve" the product!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: A way to access the old information & formatting

 

Thank you, thank you, thank you, rila3400!  MIRC is the answer!

Upon a cursory look, it looks to me like everything on the website is here, but in a more compact form because of the absence of photos and fancy graphics.  Even better!

I just hope it lasts in its current form.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: A way to access the old information & formatting


@wanttoknow wrote:

 

Thank you, thank you, thank you, rila3400!  MIRC is the answer!

Upon a cursory look, it looks to me like everything on the website is here, but in a more compact form because of the absence of photos and fancy graphics.  Even better!

I just hope it lasts in its current form.


You're welcome! I also hope that M* does not "improve" MIRC any time soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Re: A way to access the old information & formatting

For the folks who have been using MIRC (Morningstar Investment Research Center) via their library web site, do charts work for you?   I do not see a chart on the Quote page or the Chart page, just a blank space.  The Performance tab shows a year by year chart but no opportunity to adjust the timeframe there.  Otherwise, it is pretty much the old M* site.  I'm wondering if this is an issue with my library or generic to MIRC these days.  Thanks for any insight.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: A way to access the old information & formatting


@perrywinkle wrote:

For the folks who have been using MIRC (Morningstar Investment Research Center) via their library web site, do charts work for you?   I do not see a chart on the Quote page or the Chart page, just a blank space.  The Performance tab shows a year by year chart but no opportunity to adjust the timeframe there.  Otherwise, it is pretty much the old M* site.  I'm wondering if this is an issue with my library or generic to MIRC these days.  Thanks for any insight.


@perrywinkle,

After selecting the Quote tab, the Growth of 10K chart is visible to me.

MIRC Quote Tab.JPG

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The chart feature is also available after selecting the Performance tab.

VDIGX Chart.JPG

 

 

 

 

 

You may want to check your browser settings or browser plug-ins or try another browser (I use Firefox).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Re: A way to access the old information & formatting

@rila3400:  Thanks.  I don't get any interactive charts, just the static Performance chart regardless of browser (Firefox,Chrome,IE).  It worked just fine until a few weeks ago.  I just noticed some fine print on my library website that indicates that MIRC is "temporarily unavailable".  Everything except the charts works OK but maybe the charts are the temporarily unavailable part.  I have Yogi's link that provides old style interactive charting so I can get by.  Just frustrating.  The new site is definitely "new" and definitely "not improved."

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: A way to access the old information & formatting

I can still access the old M* format except for the quote tab.  

I use M* chart tab all the time, they are the best charts I can find. This is an example (chart). Unfortunately, Stockcharts are not accurate, see an example(chart).

I have a direct link to PIMIX chart.  If I want to change/start with another fund, I change the link directly by replacing PIMIX with another fund

example: http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fund/chart?t=pimix&region=usa&culture=en_US

if you want to start with http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fund/chart?t=vwinx&region=usa&culture=en_US

pimix.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: A way to access the old information & formatting


@perrywinkle wrote:

For the folks who have been using MIRC (Morningstar Investment Research Center) via their library web site, do charts work for you?   I do not see a chart on the Quote page or the Chart page, just a blank space.  The Performance tab shows a year by year chart but no opportunity to adjust the timeframe there.  Otherwise, it is pretty much the old M* site.  I'm wondering if this is an issue with my library or generic to MIRC these days.  Thanks for any insight.


I use MIRC on Chrome. If I click the Chart tab directly, the page never loads and is just blank. But I can still access the Growth of 10k chart by going to the Quote tab, then clicking on the Growth of 10k chart. It loads a new page with the expanded chart and I can compare funds and interact with the chart there. 

0 Kudos
Announcements